Ford 7.3L Godzilla cam issue; Tell me what you think

The 6.2L came out in 2010 in the F150 (for one year). Then came along in the SDs in 2011 I think. Other than some early valve spring issues, the 6.2L engine (known as the Hurricane) is a stalwart of reliability; ya can't hardly break them.
I think it is pretty rare to see a 6.2L in a F-150. FIL has one in a F350 and he has had good luck with it. He doesn't work it very hard though.

I think it is pretty rare to see a 6.2L in a F-150. FIL has one in a F350 and he has had good luck with it. He doesn't work it very hard though.
AFAIK primarily in Raptors? It's a slightly different "hot rod" version rated at more hp an tq although I don't remember the numbers (because Raptors don't fit what I do or my budget -- even used).

The "workhorse" 6.2 in SuperDutys doesn't look as good on paper but I gotta believe Ford had good reason......"horsepower hours" if nothing else.....?

A TSB wouldn’t cause it to be fixed for free out of warranty.
I didn't read as he thought it would ???

I think he was suggesting a TSB would be an acknowledgement/admission of the problem and then he says they should fix it "even out of warranty".

I don't know how I feel....Ford could easily argue that hey, you got past 100k, what more do you want? Even most class action suits rarely force coverage past 100k, but I guess there was the H/K "lifetime" coverage on at least one of their engines?

This is such a comedic name for an engine. What’s next? The GM 6.9 Ursula?
Meh, I'd argue Hellcat is dumber yet, not that my opinion matters

At least we all know what Godzilla is -- with the exception of ARCOGraphite. But I don't much get a visual when I try to picture a Hellcat? Not being a big fan of cats, I think this is just a cat because they all seem like hell cats to me?

Got it. You never know until you try. Again just my opinion… a final conclusion can’t be made until the end of the vehicle’s life cycle. No problems now doesn’t mean no catastrophic failures toward the later half. Personally I was never one to gamble with our law enforcement fleet. It would be job loss if a decision resulted in failures and downtime for equipment and personnel.

But here is the thing, you can prevent downtime by using the motor oil for YOUR application.
I'm in charge of $3.5 million worth of equipment, one of my jobs is to maximize profit while keeping costs down. If those wheels aren't turning we're losing money.
If I blow up a $20,000 diesel engine there's going to be hell to pay.
One Godzilla is $10k new your cost, mine is $7k-ish depending on current demand.
The 6R140 has valve body issues, most replace the whole transmission, $6500 just for the trans, I went a different route and replaced the valve body. Everyone said I was nuts and wasting money, guess what. For $700 out the door, parts, labor and programming, I have saved the company over $17k.
Now others in my field are doing it too and saving money.
Unlike government where you're not worried about profit margins, in transportation profit's are small. What we don't make in profit we make in saving on repairs and breakdowns.
You can be a lemming and follow the heard off the cliff, or you can experiment and see if something works better for you.
Remember that cars are made for the masses, and the masses are asses that know nothing about cars.

A TSB wouldn’t cause it to be fixed for free out of warranty.

It could, I've had things repaired for free because of a TSB before. As long as the criteria was met it was repaired.
My daughters 2012 Ford Focus with a defective TCM was repaired for free ( 2 yrs ago) because it was under the mileage requirement. It only had 22k on it because my friend who bought it brand new never drove it.

I have a old E-350 Super Duty in my fleet, it has the 6.2, 231k, all original.
Runs great, when it starts. It does this thing where it will flood when you try and start it, no one can figure it out. The only way to start it is to hold the gas pedal to the floor, start cranking it over and then release your foot while still cranking, then it'll fire and spit and sputter until she clears her throat.
Replace the MAF and she's fine for a while. But you must use a Motorcraft MAF, after market and she'll keep acting up.
We don't use this truck often, it is the punishment truck. You break yours, you're driving it until your's is fixed.

I have a old E-350 Super Duty in my fleet, it has the 6.2, 231k, all original.
Runs great, when it starts. It does this thing where it will flood when you try and start it, no one can figure it out. The only way to start it is to hold the gas pedal to the floor, start cranking it over and then release your foot while still cranking, then it'll fire and spit and sputter until she clears her throat.
Replace the MAF and she's fine for a while. But you must use a Motorcraft MAF, after market and she'll keep acting up.
We don't use this truck often, it is the punishment truck. You break yours, you're driving it until your's is fixed.
VERY different application but I had a '95 F250 with 5.8 that would do something similar. Was the TPS. But again, OBD-I, speed density.....entirely different animals

But here is the thing, you can prevent downtime by using the motor oil for YOUR application.
I'm in charge of $3.5 million worth of equipment, one of my jobs is to maximize profit while keeping costs down. If those wheels aren't turning we're losing money.
If I blow up a $20,000 diesel engine there's going to be hell to pay.
One Godzilla is $10k new your cost, mine is $7k-ish depending on current demand.
The 6R140 has valve body issues, most replace the whole transmission, $6500 just for the trans, I went a different route and replaced the valve body. Everyone said I was nuts and wasting money, guess what. For $700 out the door, parts, labor and programming, I have saved the company over $17k.
Now others in my field are doing it too and saving money.
Unlike government where you're not worried about profit margins, in transportation profit's are small. What we don't make in profit we make in saving on repairs and breakdowns.
You can be a lemming and follow the heard off the cliff, or you can experiment and see if something works better for you.
Remember that cars are made for the masses, and the masses are asses that know nothing about cars.
Your are correct. Downtime in any fleet is devastating. Not worried about profits when managing a “government” fleet. You do have to ensure that when John Q. Public dials 911 the full assigned law enforcement shift has a patrol car ready to respond and is dead nuts reliable. No “experimenting” is worth failures for the fleet resulting in slower response times and the negative outcomes associated.

Your are correct. Downtime in any fleet is devastating. Not worried about profits when managing a “government” fleet. You do have to ensure that when John Q. Public dials 911 the full assigned law enforcement shift has a patrol car ready to respond and is dead nuts reliable. No “experimenting” is worth failures for the fleet resulting in slower response times and the negative outcomes associated.

This is 100% true, you still need to use the correct motor oil for the application.
5w-30 in a patrol car idling on a hot summers day with the a/c on for hours at a time is not going to hold up, it is going to break down quickly and shorten the life of the engine.
Kinda hard to respond to a 911 call when you spin a bearing when you mash the throttle because the oil had thinned to much.

This is 100% true, you still need to use the correct motor oil for the application.
5w-30 in a patrol car idling on a hot summers day with the a/c on for hours at a time is not going to hold up, it is going to break down quickly and shorten the life of the engine.
Kinda hard to respond to a 911 call when you spin a bearing when you mash the throttle because the oil had thinned to much.
Think what you want but 5w30 Kendall bulk oil idling in the 90+ degree heat. Haven’t had that problem yet. Had Dodge Chargers since 2014. That’s my true life experience…
6k PM intervals

Meh, I'd argue Hellcat is dumber yet, not that my opinion matters

At least we all know what Godzilla is -- with the exception of ARCOGraphite. But I don't much get a visual when I try to picture a Hellcat? Not being a big fan of cats, I think this is just a cat because they all seem like hell cats to me?
Yep, I am instead a MOTHRA fan. The appropriate name for a new killer VR7 engine from VAG/SEAT- an innovative hybrid of clean diesel and external combustion corn cob.

mothra vs  godzilla.jpg

Think what you want but 5w30 Kendall bulk oil idling in the 90+ degree heat. Haven’t had that problem yet. Had Dodge Chargers since 2014. That’s my true life experience…
6k PM intervals

Bulk oil is the same as bottled.
My true life experience is Performance Plus diesel oil changed every 10,000 miles.
It's not the age of the vehicle, it's the miles.

Bulk oil is the same as bottled.
My true life experience is Performance Plus diesel oil changed every 10,000 miles.
It's not the age of the vehicle, it's the miles.
Sorry. To clarify, Chargers as Patrol Units beginning in 2014 with replacement mileage at 150,000. Yes bulk is the same as bottled. I think you are missing the point but experiment on!!

It is a known issue, Ford knows of the issue, if it fails under warranty Ford will repair it for free.
All of my units are out of warranty.
It is a known issue, by Ford. They know how to repair it. They know what's causing it. They will not do anything about it unless it fails under warranty.
In my opinion, Ford should offer a TSB on this and replace the cam for free, even outside of warranty. Since they know all about it and all.
That is what I mean by "won't cover it"
What you are suggesting is not a "TSB" (technical service bulletin). Rather, what you are suggesting is a blanket warranty extension, which can be either all-encompassing or limited depending on OEM decisions. Replacing the cam "for free, even outside of warranty" is in fact your plea for extending the OEM warranty. You're advocating for a good-will extension of warranty based on a perceived concern.

Guess what, other things fail out of warranty also ... water pumps, alternators, fuel injectors, etc .... should those be replaced for free also after the warranty expires? If so, what you're really asking for is for all things to be covered at all times, with no limit. Should the OEM warranty on any product just last indefinitely? Ford (and all other major brands) offer Limited "Written Warranties" (see the FTC website if you don't understand what that legally means).

If the product fails under warranty, it's covered.
If the product fails outside of warranty, it is not required to be covered.

Last edited:
What you are suggesting is not a "TSB" (technical service bulletin). Rather, what you are suggesting is a blanket warranty extension, which can be either all-encompassing or limited depending on OEM decisions.

What he's actually suggesting in Ford Parlance is a FSA (Field Service Action)

FSAs can be Recalls or CSP (Customer Satisfaction Program).

What would most likely be issued is a CSP.

What he's actually suggesting in Ford Parlance is a FSA (Field Service Action)

FSAs can be Recalls or CSP (Customer Satisfaction Program).

What would most likely be issued is a CSP.
Semantics; I'd agree with you. He's still advocating for the OEM to pay for something after the original warranty expired.
A rose by any other name ...

Back