Ford 6.0 TD oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a used Ford E350 box truck "07" with the 6.0 TD and I want to do an oil change what do you guys recommend? (No owners manual It's on order)

How long/Miles/time wise should I leave the oil and filter in on this engine? This is my first diesel and I don't know much yet about it?

By the way I live in the northeast and it will be run threw the winter on this oil

The 6.0Ls are extremely hard on oil. I use Mobil One Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 and change at 5,000 miles. I do a fair amount of towing in the Texas heat and believe the TDT gives me the margin to do 5,000 OCIs.

The important thing with the 6.0L is to change the oil often. The headgaskets have a tendency to weep antifreeze into the crankcase.

M1 TDT/Delvac 1. That is what slammds15 runs in his (buddy of mine, International Diesel Mechanic).

He's doing a UOA on it shortly, so we'll see how its holding up to his 10,000Km change intervals.

We use Shell Rotella T in our fleet of service trucks. 4 trucks the newest has 36,000 the oldest (10 years) has 226,000. all are ford power strokes. i works great in all of them

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
The 6.0Ls are extremely hard on oil. I use Mobil One Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 and change at 5,000 miles. I do a fair amount of towing in the Texas heat and believe the TDT gives me the margin to do 5,000 OCIs.

The important thing with the 6.0L is to change the oil often. The headgaskets have a tendency to weep antifreeze into the crankcase.
Along with the EGR cooler!!

The OP stated he's in the northeast and the oil he uses will be in his truck threw (sic) the winter.

Anyone who recommends dino 15w-40 for winter use in a 6.0 doesn't know what he is talking about.

Mobil 1 for Diesel Turbo Trucks of Delvac 1 (both 5w-40.

Fbear: Are you wanting to pay $10 to $13 a gal?-->Reg Dino Diesel Rated 15W-40 oil? or are you willing to pay up too $25 a gal? Synthetic 5W-40 diesel rated oil

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
Fbear: Are you wanting to pay $10 to $13 a gal?-->Reg Dino Diesel Rated 15W-40 oil? or are you willing to pay up too $25 a gal? Synthetic 5W-40 diesel rated oil

Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 Walmart and Pep Boys have it for $19.00/gallon. This is the cheapist synthetic to buy.
I'm going to use Amsoil 15W-40 Full Synthetic in my 6.0l Powerstroke this winter, and it should do fine. I've used the Rotella Synthetic in the winter, so you can use it with confidence!!

If you live where it gets colder than freezing regularly, & you don't want to plug in a block heater, you NEED 5W40 or thinner synthetic!! Even 10W30 dino is too thick & will cause cold start romp/overfueling AKA "wet-stacking"-take it from the voice of HEAD-GASKET BLOWING EXPERIENCE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back