Ford 4R70W and MerconV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know these trannys are very demanding to having the proper maintenance done or they will tear up very quick.Besides Fords MerconV fluid,what is a good brand of MerconV to use? Ive used AAMCO synthetic blend MerconV in the past but was told this fluid does not meet Fords specs.Any suggestions or opinions?
dunno.gif

What vehicle is the 4r70w in?

I have a '96 Crown Vic that had a Quaker State Mercon V BG flush at 70k miles in 2000.

I just droped the pan and drained the TQ in December (at 136k miles) and replaced 12.5 out of 14 qts with Castrol Mercon V. The trans fluid and filter set me back about $50 total for the job.

I never had the common "shudder" associated with these transmissions. QS and Castrol Mercon V worked well for me.

Just be sure to clean your trans pan real well (I used brake cleaner to blast goop of the magnet).

97 F150,108K miles
I bought it used with 64k miles.I dropped the pan,new filter,added a drain plug,drained the converter,blew out the lines and the cooler,and added 13-1/2 quarts of AAMCO syn-blend MerconV fluid.I have done this same procedure 4 more times (except adding the drain plug
grin.gif
) with the AAMCO fluid until the last time.I used Motorcraft MerconV fluid then. I was just curious if there are any better MerconV fluids out there and if so,what name brand?

Aamco fluid is made by exxon-mobil.

Its good stuff, anything that says merconV printed on the front of the bottle is going to be fine.

Shop by price.

The dealer sells motorcraft (conoco) by the gallon jug, and sometimes they are cheaper than buying it by the quart at parts places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back