Ford 3.5 Transmission Flush Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all - I've been reading these boards for a long time and have decided to actually ask a question. I haven't needed to before since the info is quite good.

I have an '08 Taurus (3.5) with 66K miles. I want to flush and fill the tranny, but an worried about getting the right lines opened up and even figuring out which is the right one to use to draw the fluid into the system.

Does anyone have pictures of the procedure that I could use to do this? I have also searched and can't find anything.

Thanks

Last edited:
Does yours have a drain plug in the pan? My Fusion does and I just drain and fill once a year.

Your Taurus should have the GM/Ford 6F35/50 transmission with a drain plug right on the bottom. I think it takes a hex wrench, not sure what size.

Then just fill it back up from the dipstick tube (3-4 quarts for single drain and fill).

A fluid exchange is the better procedure. Its pretty easy and is more cost effective.

Your questions come from doing a shadetree cooler line flush. I would suggest you drain and fill the pan if it has a drain plug. Even less mixing of old and new that way. The new ATF is added via the dipstick not through one of the cooler lines. One of your cooler lines will spout out ATF when the engine is running (might need the trans in N). You connect clear tubing from that hose to the containers for the old ATF. Run the engine until you have pumped out 2 QTs. Stop, add 2 QTs. Repeat the cycle until you see a change in the color of the ATF or have pumped through the transmission capacity (+1 normally).

The Amsoil website will tell you the pan and total capacity.

To find out which hose there are a few ways. Put an empty water bottle over each hose or connection and start the engine, run for 2 sec. then stop and see which bottle has stuff in it. Temp wise the colder of the two is the return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back