Ford 3.0 Diesel - to FA-4 or CK-4, that is my question.

I like the idea of a 0W-30 in the winter. This might be an option:

Shell T6 0W-40 would also work well. I would say this is available in Canada:

The latest John Deere Plus 50 II 0W-40 (TY26664) is also CK-4/SN rated. That's also an option, though I'm not sure of its availability in Canada. Check your local Deere dealer or Amazon.

Last edited:
Why not just use the FA-4 Motorcraft??
It is a really low HTHS oil, and in the manual says it's not recommended for severe duty service. According to ford, this can be extreme temperatures, idling, towing, stop and go traffic, mountainous terrain... basically everything one would use a truck for. So to me that oil would only be the one to use for grocery getting down a nice country road.

I like the idea of a 0W-30 in the winter. This might be an option:

Shell T6 0W-40 would also work well. I would say this is available in Canada:

The latest John Deere Plus 50 II 0W-40 (TY26664) is also CK-4/SN rated. That's also an option, though I'm not sure of its availability in Canada. Check your local Deere dealer or Amazon.
That chevron 0W30 is a weird one, 3.1 HTHS which is in the range of an FA-4 oil and not a CK-4. but it also doesn't have the WSS-M2C171-F1 ford stamp of approval, so probably not a good one to use while in warranty. The only 0W30 meeting that spec that I could find was the Klondike one that I listed above. The shell or deere I believe would both be good options, getting the shell is easy up here.

Last edited:
That chevron 0W30 is a weird one, 3.1 HTHS which is in the range of an FA-4 oil and not a CK-4. but it also doesn't have the WSS-M2C171-F1 ford stamp of approval, so probably not a good one to use while in warranty. The only 0W30 meeting that spec that I could find was the Klondike one that I listed above. The shell or deere I believe would both be good options, getting the shell is easy up here.
Agree!

Depends. FA-4 tends to be a modern workhorse, HTHS alone not so much and just throwing in everything else as better prepared is just clueless.

Well, at least no chains in many HDE and not too fierce the particles in the lighter duty severe duty uses.

Last edited:
Depends. FA-4 tends to be a modern workhorse, HTHS alone not so much and just throwing in everything else as better prepared is just clueless.

Well, at least no chains in many HDE and not too fierce the particles in the lighter duty severe duty uses.
Indubitably.

To piggyback on this thread I live in Houston and need more oil. I actually have a LR Discovery which is the same Diesel engine and just used up the last of my Motorcraft FA-4 which I can’t seem to find any good deals on.

Is there really no issue running a CK4 oils in the Ford engines? I’ve been doing my changes every 10k miles. Currently at 35k miles. I can tell you the engine has been happy with the FA4. I could hear a difference when I changed over it seems to feel smoother.

I have an F150 with the 3.0 diesel and have been using the FA-4 10w-30 MotorCraft, it seems a no-brainer.
My locale isn’t terribly cold in the winter, which is why I’m using the 10w-30 vs the 5w-30.

I also have a 6.7 PowerStroke that I run 10w-30 in year around, but its CK-4 John Deere Plus 50 II.

To piggyback on this thread I live in Houston and need more oil. I actually have a LR Discovery which is the same Diesel engine and just used up the last of my Motorcraft FA-4 which I can’t seem to find any good deals on.

Is there really no issue running a CK4 oils in the Ford engines? I’ve been doing my changes every 10k miles. Currently at 35k miles. I can tell you the engine has been happy with the FA4. I could hear a difference when I changed over it seems to feel smoother.
No ford recommends CK-4 for severe duty service. And from what I read that includes pretty much anything.. extended idling, stop and go traffic, extreme temperatures, towing, biofuel use, etc. That to me is ford giving the wink that this is probably the best oil to use, where FA-4 helps them meet their fuel economy limits, or CAFE numbers. I usually always service my vehicle against the severe duty service requirements, so that is why i'm leaning in that direction.

Depending on the year of your engine, I also heard that the bearing and crank updates that ford made to the engine for F-150 made its way into the JLR version as well (so 2018 and up); since that was easier than making two versions of the base engine. So if it's good for the fords, probably good for the JLR, but... I would only use it if the manual says you can.

Back