Ford 3.0 Diesel - to FA-4 or CK-4, that is my question.

Hi All, I'm looking for your expert opinions on the best oil choice for the Ford 3.0 Diesel, as there are a lot of conflicting views out there on which oil will offer the best protection, even from ford themselves.

The 'Preferred' Oil in the manual is their FA-4 spec 5W30 diesel oil, however it does state that for 'severe duty' service to use a 5W40 API CK-4 oil, or 0W40. It gives the ford spec WSS-M2C214-B1 for the FA-4, however does not list a spec for the CK-4. On the ford quick reference oil chart located here (oilchartUS.pdf (fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com)), it does state in a foot note that the WSS-M2C171-F1should be used, and that 0W30 is ok as well. It does not say explicitly that a 5W30 CK-4 is ok, however I assume that this would be fine given this is the preferred FA-4 viscosity.

It is of my opinion that the FA-4 oil (low HTHS viscosity) is being pushed mainly for fuel economy, however if ford states to use a CK-4 for 'severe duty' service, then that is ford giving a wink to me that this would be the best choice of oil to use for long term protection. Since there is no description on severe duty service provided, I'm thinking that since I live in canada, in a city, that pretty much qualifies me as such. I tow a tent trailer in the summer (3500-4000 lbs), but that's about it.

I'm torn as since the FA-4 is preferred, that would mean that the engine is designed for this lower HTHS viscosity, and thus would using a CK-4 be too thick? It also looks like this engine has been using a 5W30 since inception going back to 2007 ish in the JLR applications, so would using a 40wt oil lead to lower oil circulation during normal operation over a 30 wt? Right now I'm leaning towards two oil options. The petro-canada 5W30 CK-4 oil, or the Klondike Lubricants 0W30 CK-4 oils, with a middle ground HTHS of 3.5. Both of of these "meet" the WSS-M2C171-F1 spec. Since the manual doesn't explicitly state the CK-4 spec, is any CK-4 then good to use, like say the chevron 5W30 CK-4 that doesn't have the ford stamp of approval?

In closing, if this was your truck, and you want to keep it for 10+ years, which lube sauce would you put in it to help it last. Thanks!

Ford Spec.JPG

I would use 5W40 API CK-4 with the Ford spec, and use an oil pan stick on heater (Wolverine 150w) with block heater for the nights that drop below -10C.
Used to travel to Calgary quite often and ran a fleet of Ford diesel 3.2L DRW Transits and F350 6.0L for Canada.
Had a night drive from Calgary to Lethbridge, and it was -25C. That wasn't pleasant.
Your 0W choices would be fine if they carry the Ford spec. I would search that spec out on your oil choice to ensure no warranty issues.
Trust me, Ford will try to get out of any warranty claims, for any reason. First hand knowledge with over 1,000 Ford trucks in the fleet at the time.

Why not a 0W40 CK-4? Since you are in Calgary it would cover all the temperature ranges you'd see. If you put on enough miles maybe a 5W40 CK-4 in summer...

After all it is a diesel so a "C" rated oil should be used in my opinion.

Just my $0.02

Rotella T6 5W40 has a (-51) degree Celsius pour point. I think you’d be fine year round on that. I’ve started my Cummins at -19 degrees Fahrenheit (about -28 C) not plugged outside in the snow without issue on T6.

Use 0w40 for warranty purposes. Otherwise, I can’t see why 5w30 ck4 would be problem outside of warranty.

Use 0w40 for warranty purposes. Otherwise, I can’t see why 5w30 ck4 would be problem outside of warranty.
I have the 0W30 in there now, according to their oil reference sheet posted above this is fine. I will probably get an oil analysis done however at around 7000 km to make sure all wear metals are looking good.

Rotella T6 5W40 has a (-51) degree Celsius pour point. I think you’d be fine year round on that. I’ve started my Cummins at -19 degrees Fahrenheit (about -28 C) not plugged outside in the snow without issue on T6.
Yeah lots of guys on the forum seem to run this without issue, especially for towing. I just know that the bearing spaces where increased to accommodate for the FA-4 oil which I assume needs higher flow, so i'm wondering if the 40wt would be too thick for everyday normal use.

Why not a 0W40 CK-4? Since you are in Calgary it would cover all the temperature ranges you'd see. If you put on enough miles maybe a 5W40 CK-4 in summer...

After all it is a diesel so a "C" rated oil should be used in my opinion.

Just my $0.02

Yeah I agree. If they say CK-4 can be used, it's probably the better choice for wear over the FA-4 I would think.. although all the PR materials say it's "equivalent" protection.

I would use 5W40 API CK-4 with the Ford spec, and use an oil pan stick on heater (Wolverine 150w) with block heater for the nights that drop below -10C.
Used to travel to Calgary quite often and ran a fleet of Ford diesel 3.2L DRW Transits and F350 6.0L for Canada.
Had a night drive from Calgary to Lethbridge, and it was -25C. That wasn't pleasant.
Your 0W choices would be fine if they carry the Ford spec. I would search that spec out on your oil choice to ensure no warranty issues.
Trust me, Ford will try to get out of any warranty claims, for any reason. First hand knowledge with over 1,000 Ford trucks in the fleet at the time.
The 0W30 says in the PDS that it "meets the requirements of" the WSS-M2C171-F1 specification, but I don't believe that it has a full certification. The specification listed in the manual only applies to the FA-4 oil, they don't list a ford specific one for the CK-4 oils in there, however say you should use it for severe duty service. To me that means any old CK-4 in the right viscosity range should be fine as far as their warranty is concerned. I put the 0W30 in, but will also get an oil analysis done to make sure all is good, and to prove it's not the oils fault.

Yeah lots of guys on the forum seem to run this without issue, especially for towing. I just know that the bearing spaces where increased to accommodate for the FA-4 oil which I assume needs higher flow, so i'm wondering if the 40wt would be too thick for everyday normal use.
Based on what you have shown us from the owners manual pic, for me it’s a easy choice due to it being readily available at a majority of stores these days while traveling.

Based on what you have shown us from the owners manual pic, for me it’s a easy choice due to it being readily available at a majority of stores these days while traveling.
True. It's by far the easiest to come by. I should probably just switch to this and be done with it.

I am the world's foremost expert on my opinion.

My opinion is to use 0w-30 in the winter and 5w-40 in the summer. Your oil temps in the winter will likely be much cooler than in the summer months. You'll be better off with more flow volume in the winter and higher HTHS in the summer.
I can respect that opinion. Thanks!

I'd use 5W-40 CK-4. Because you might need to use biodiesel and it's not hard to find yourself operating in what Ford calls "severe service".

Chevron DELO 10w30 XLE (synblend) has a pour point of -51

it’s not always reflective of its cold weather performance....

I’d just run a 5w40 CK-4 and be done with it.

The Mobil-1 Delvac ESP 0W40 might be a solid bet too year round I'm thinking. It carries the WSS-M2C171-F1, for some reason it's the only delvac grade to do so, which I believe means it has to have a phosphorous rating of 1000 ppm. Oddly it still carries the SN rating as well which I didn't think was possible with high P.

Back