For those that protest about Rock Auto shipping

Since there arent any oil clearances/deals going on around me I thought I would replenish my oil filter stock using RA. I know from past experience that grouping the shipping warehouse can save on shipping. I had 3 or 4 different filters added to the cart which showed the warehouses. I attempted to change some of the brands in order to get them all coming form the same place only to see the warehouse change on all of them depending on what I added or deleted, I felt like I was trying to herd cats. Anyone have some advice ?

The advice I've given several times on these RA shipping threads is entirely pragmatic. It goes like this.
"Realize you're dealing with a dishonest system and weigh that into your decision to buy or not". No biggie.
There are examples of businesses doing things which are not completely honest but we shop for stuff anyway.

What blew my mind was one member here who, after multiple posts essentially proving RA's shipping dishonesty, said, "Hey man they're in a business to make money so it's OK"
I never could determine if that poster was ribbin' us or serious.

Also remember that I ordered oil filters and 2 came with dents and a slip of paper saying that they knew about the dents before packing them and that I cannot return them for exchange. This is what they regard their customers. Keep that in mind.

A low price can induce people to trade with liars who sell damaged goods. I'm one of them.

Just know it and accept it or reject it as you see fit.

Don't burn your soul trying to wordsmith your way to some kind of sterile sounding reconciliation.
You order honestly and pay. They can cut corners.

I ordered oil filters and 2 came with dents and a slip of paper saying that they knew about the dents before packing them and that I cannot return them for exchange. This is what they regard their customers.
That is not Rockauto. No one from RA wrote that note or shipped you dented filters. Did you notify RA of this ?

I wonder if there was a recent silent investigation and were forced to have halfway honest shipping charges.
There's no such thing as "honest shipping charges". Some places charge you their actual rate, some add X%, some double it, and so on. Don't like it, shop somewhere else, just like anyone chooses what store(s) they shop at.

People generally don't complain about the actual charges, the complaints are about if you buy, for example, two different items, you can almost bet they'll come from two different locations, effectively doubling the shipping cost whereas if they shipped from the same location, the charge wouldn't be as much.

That is not Rockauto. No one from RA wrote that note or shipped you dented filters. Did you notify RA of this ?

There's no such thing as "honest shipping charges". Some places charge you their actual rate, some add X%, some double it, and so on. Don't like it, shop somewhere else, just like anyone chooses what store(s) they shop at.

People generally don't complain about the actual charges, the complaints are about if you buy, for example, two different items, you can almost bet they'll come from two different locations, effectively doubling the shipping cost whereas if they shipped from the same location, the charge wouldn't be as much.
It's always shipping and handling charges. You just don't know what their real costs for handling are.

" Did you notify RA of this ?" No I didn't and am ashamed I didn't think of it.

What I did was use the filters. I staved off years of BITOG perfectionism by remembering what I did when first I started doing oil changes.

I bought dented stock at Two Guys (store). The dented stock has been cycled out for a while.

Want a reason to go element style filters? ....No dents!

I had 3 or 4 different filters added to the cart which showed the warehouses. I attempted to change some of the brands in order to get them all coming form the same place only to see the warehouse change on all of them depending on what I added or deleted, I felt like I was trying to herd cats. Anyone have some advice ?
$4 or $5 oil filters are probably best bought locally unless you can add it on an existing order coming from the same warehouse.

I wonder if there was a recent silent investigation and were forced to have halfway honest shipping charges.
An investigation by whom and what entity "forced" them to do this?

Look around at some other online retailers and see the truly ridiculous shipping prices they charge. See if they can be "forced" to have halfway honest shipping charges.

I am paying state sales tax on items but not shipping fees. My state also makes money on the full price when there are rebates, or core return deposits.

Just give me a straight deal. It costs money for RA to ship. Amazon, too. Offer it up how you want and if it's the best terms I'll bite.

I've always wondered about that---small parts which can EASILY be shipped in a padded envelope through the US mail.

Do the darn employees steal the padded envelopes and/or is it that someone has to go off-site daily to get to a post office?

as the fuel costs rise, so do the shipping costs. maybe Sleepy Joe will mandate the use of solar powered drones to air mail your deliveries to the front door, the more big government hurts these business's the more costs get translated to the consumers

I love some places that ONLY ship UPS and will charge $12 in shipping for a 2 ounce $5 part that would cost $3 to ship by USPS first class.
I've always wondered about that---small parts which can EASILY be shipped in a padded envelope through the US mail.
Many companies try to have a primary shipping company they deal with. As part of the negotiations with shipping company "X", you can get higher discounts by agreeing not to use company "A", "B", and so on.

I just had yesterday's RA order 'slip' from Tuesday arrival to Friday arrival, might get around to packaging it tomorrow.
I canceled; Amazon had most of it tomorrow and Bosch (show) to boot!

Follow up...
I bought the next stage of parts (after more teardown).
None local, RA slow, Amazon mixed vendors, slow...

NAPA!
Full stock, shipped in 1 day, arrival before anyone else's promises.
20% bucket pricing, free shipping, they seem to want to be a player in this market.

Back