For the watch guys (strap/bracelet topic)

I know we have about five watch guys on the forum so this information may not be new to them. I want to bring up the topic because it's recently come to my attention that many watch guys don't know about strap and bracelet adapters.

Strap adapters let you do several things.

1. Use a strap that exceeds the lug width of your watch. For example, use a 22mm strap on a watch with a 30mm lug-to-lug width. You may want to do this for comfort or aesthetics.

2. You want to replace an off-size strap width with a more common width, for example, the 16 mm strap on your big Casio has begun to stink or fallen apart and you would like to upgrade to a better and more comfortable wider strap. Or that silly 21mm bracelet on your Seiko has caused hair loss and you want to go with a 22mm rubber strap.

3. Your watch doesn't easily accommodate a NATO strap because there isn't enough room to pass a NATO strap through between the case and the spring bars.

There are two types of adapters. Both serve as defacto end links that swivel between the watch case lugs. Version one is meant for NATO straps only and has one spring bar for the watch lugs and a fixed bar to pass the pass strap through. The second type has two spring bars and is used for bracelets. Be aware that having a total of four spring bars doubles the risk of spring bar failure. You may be able to use a very thin NATO strap with this type of adapter. Furthermore, adapters are either used to go with a wider strap or with a strap of the same size.

Examples:

This adapter allows the use of a wider band than the lug-to-lug width accommodates. This is the type of adapter that uses only one spring bar, making this the safer option. but it works only for NATO and ZULU straps. Single pass only.

This adapter allows the use of a wider bracelet or thin NATO or ZULU strap.

Last edited:
Yeah, that pretty cool, thanks! I love talking about watches and have been an enthusiast for >50 years.
I think that we have more than 5 watch enthusiasts on this forum and you can count me in. 🤓
I've never used a watchband adaptor however I have purchased most of my watches on their steel bracelet with the intent of switching over to a leather strap now & again just to make the watch feel different or new. And I often having several different color leather straps for many of my watches to make them feel even more different & newer.

Yeah, that pretty cool, thanks! I love talking about watches and have been an enthusiast for >50 years.
I think that we have more than 5 watch enthusiasts on this forum and you can count me in. 🤓
I've never used a watchband adaptor however I have purchased most of my watches on their steel bracelet with the intent of switching over to a leather strap now & again just to make the watch feel different or new. And I often having several different color leather straps for many of my watches to make them feel even more different & newer.
Like you say a new bracelet or especially a new strap can make a watch feel all new. And straps are less costly than most watches. NATO straps go for between $10 for a budget strap and $40 for a high quality strap with welded holes, stitching and quality hardware. Silicone and rubber straps can cost more but they can be well worth the expense. Leather straps can cost even more but they are still relatively inexpensive. I love NATO straps but do have rubber, silicone, anc leather straps for certain watches. Likd you, I usually buy watches with the bracelet option as it's just nice to have even if I mostly don't use them. The only watch I have always on its original bracelet is my old Chronomat. It just looks and feels perfect to me.

Adapters are almost essential for smart watches like Apple's, by allowing the use of standard through-hole straps, and opening up selection to the dizzying world well beyond what's sold by Apple, and others sold as "Apple Watch straps" which are just pre-fitted with adapters.

Including custom and semi-custom straps from small makers, in any number of materials and styles. For the same cost as a quality off-the-shelf strap, one can go bespoke.

I got a couple strap adapters for my Apple Watch from Bartons. I prefer a conventional strap to the Apple set up.

I purchased several leather straps and silicone straps from Barton as well. For my Seiko dive watch, for example, worn in the water or when working out, or just plain working, I prefer the silicone strap over the original metal bracelet.

All the nascent Casio digital watches warm my heart. I love the smallness and simplicity.

Bring back the Casio Databack 90 and rotary phones.
Casio has several models that are either reissues or very close to some of their classic models from 30 or 40 years or longer ago. For example, the F91 has been in production since 1989 and it still costs only $16. There are slightly updated current versions of the original G-Shock Square from 1983. The mid-'80s Databank which is just a calculator watch, is still in production and cheap as chips.

Hamilton, Bulova, Yema, and Armitron are again making LED watches similar to the ones from the early '70s. The Armitron is only $30.

Last edited:
Appealing to the demographic segment with the cash to spend, perhaps?

Or like cars, were watches just better back then? (no joke, when you see the train wrecks for sale on cable)

I pretty much only wear Bertucci watches with the Nato style strap now. It's so simple and changing straps in seconds is fun to mix it up. I have 3 and got my son 1.

Appealing to the demographic segment with the cash to spend, perhaps?
Dad gave me his mid-'70s Westime LED watch over 30 years ago. I still wear it sometimes but I would not go out of my way to buy a new LED watch for any reason other than it being a curiosity at this point.

westime.jpg

Or like cars, were watches just better back then? (no joke, when you see the train wrecks for sale on cable)
Better by what metric? There have always been cheaply made watches, high-end watches, and everything in between. The market has shifted and mostly caters to the extremes of the spectrum. That's not to say you can't find a reasonably priced middle-of-the-road watch but the pickings are slimmer than they used to be. It's not a surprising trend. Most people don't wear watches and those that do either want one simply for functionality or because they are enthusiasts. Two different markets. With the shrinking market, watch companies are forced to try and attract more buyers for profitable high-end products. They can't and many don't even want to rely on profits based on sheer sales numbers. That is why you can find $5,000 Seiko and Casio watches these days and why those Seiko models that cost around $200 a few years ago now cost three times as much.

I'm a Seiko guy and a stainless steel guy at that. Loving my GMT Seiko although it runs a little slow and I don't like that at all

20240616_125407.jpg

I'm a Seiko guy and a stainless steel guy at that. Loving my GMT Seiko although it runs a little slow and I don't like that at all

View attachment 225279
Nice. Regulating the watch is easy. You need a timegrapher, some tools, and a new case back gasket and gasket lube. Ideally, you should have a cleanroom but nothing is ever ideal so scratch that. Your watchmaker doesn't have cleanroom either. If the watch runs only a few seconds slow you may be able to compensate for that via resting position overnight. Find out how much time the watch loses in the dial-up position vs in the dial-down position vs standing on end. Also, isochronism is a potential problem as it's not perfectly achievable. The rate at which the watch runs is affected by the state of winding. An automatic watch winder will let you keep the watch fully wound and it may gain a few seconds per day. Depending on the age and usage of the watch it may need a service. That's the elephant in the room with mechanical watches, whether they are automatics or manual wind. The service cost is probably $250 for that watch.

Back