For a family member: 03 Accord V6 starting issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my family members has an 03 Accord V6. Recently it's developed an issue where it randomly won't start. Won't turn over, won't click etc, just like having a dead battery. It'll do that for 2-3 days straight. Then, it'll magically start after and be fine. Then repeat, back to not starting. It's been in the shop for 2 weeks. I'm suspecting battery cables possibly?

Thanks! This is all the info I have...if I need more, I can call and get more.

So no lights or anything? I'd start by cleaning the battery terminals and following the cables back to the ground, starter and fuse box. Make sure everything it tight and clean.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Cam or crankshaft position sensor... is my guess.

Plus 100

But, I'd also run an additional ground from Bat (-) to firewall on a convenient bolt. Prolly #6 cable with crimped and soldered lugs. May be a flakey ground to ECU ...

I'm going to double check if truly nothing happens when they go to turn it on.

So basically 2 paths here?

1. If it acts like a dead battery - something ground or cable related
2. Gets power but won't start - crank or cam position sensor

If after all the basics check out, don't rule out an ignition switch

Honda's of that vintage can have some wierd electrical problems, all down to a bad ignition switch

Check the owners keyring for too many keys

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
One of my family members has an 03 Accord V6. Recently it's developed an issue where it randomly won't start. Won't turn over, won't click etc, just like having a dead battery. It'll do that for 2-3 days straight. Then, it'll magically start after and be fine. Then repeat, back to not starting. It's been in the shop for 2 weeks. I'm suspecting battery cables possibly?

Thanks! This is all the info I have...if I need more, I can call and get more.

That's exactly what my friend's 01 Odyssey did. Cleaned and tightened up her battery terminals and it was back to good as new!!

If it has power but but will not turn over, whap the starter with a wrench, hammer etc. Could be a bad spot on the commutator or brushes.

We had an 05 accord 2.4 that was having intermittent bad battery symptoms which continued after the battery was replaced. The problem was the starter. I'm not sure if the 4's and 6's have the same starter issues but this seems common on the 2.4.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Cam or crankshaft position sensor... is my guess.

Plus 100

Guys, the engine doesn't even crank.

Try a jumper on it next time, if it cranks the problem is probably with the cable connection at the post if not its probably at the other end of a cable, a corroded cable, bad switch, relay, bad third wire from the + terminal, etc.
Step by step.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Trying to get as much info from them as I can and I'll pass this along to them. No idea about the shop. They live in NW Indiana, so if I were local I could check a few things out for them.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
A good auto electric place will have that problem sourced in no time.

A good Honda indie will know what the problem is before you bring it into his bay.
My first try would be the battery connections.
I'd then suspect the starter.
The experienced guy will know exactly where to go.

1) Bad spot on the starter contacts etc. Whack it with a hammer a couple times and see if it resolves.
2) Clean battery posts/terminals.
3) Check if it will start in Neutral (Bad Neutral Switch)
4) Bad Ignition Switch. Try jiggling the key up/down/all around or banging the steering column.

had a friends accord that did just this.
the solenoids coil had become intermittant.
i could bridge it and the motor would spin.coil read about 3k ohms and when cold about 4 ohms.
would work fine for weeks and no start.
if it clicks but no turn its the contacts.
i was lucky it was topside and easy to deal with.
an ebay solenoid assy and 5 minutes fixed it for good.
she had spent several hundred to have 3 shops "diagnose" this.
big fat FAIL x3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back