2008 Toyota Matrix P0352, running issues and finally no crank no start...bad ECM?

My sister just recently got this Matrix. It had a p0352 ignition coil circuit code.....shop misdiagnosed as a coil, replaced that and plugs....seemed to run fine for a 40km test drive..... problems returned once she got home (2 hours from me). Only the one code but it apparently has intermittent extreme lack of power and feels to her like it won't shift.... misfire at idle (but not always). She got a scanner and has been checking codes, freeze frames and sending me data but nothing conclusive.
Today it wouldn't start at all and had to be towed. No crank, no click or anything.
The shop that safetied it and did the coil suspects ECM (they've seen issues with them on these before and google search confirmed that) or rodent damage. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with a similar issue with one of these, a Corolla or vibe or any similar era of Toyota.
Appreciate any help. Thanks

My sister just recently got this Matrix. It had a p0352 ignition coil circuit code.....shop misdiagnosed as a coil, replaced that and plugs....seemed to run fine for a 40km test drive..... problems returned once she got home (2 hours from me). Only the one code but it apparently has intermittent extreme lack of power and feels to her like it won't shift.... misfire at idle (but not always). She got a scanner and has been checking codes, freeze frames and sending me data but nothing conclusive.
Today it wouldn't start at all and had to be towed. No crank, no click or anything.
The shop that safetied it and did the coil suspects ECM (they've seen issues with them on these before and google search confirmed that) or rodent damage. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with a similar issue with one of these, a Corolla or vibe or any similar era of Toyota.
Appreciate any help. Thanks
IIRC, there was a recall surrounding defective ECMs in that model. Was the recall performed?

https://repairpal.com/recall/10V384000

You can check HERE.

Might try checking with a Toyota dealer. I would think they can look it up.

Might try checking with a Toyota dealer. I would think they can look it up.
Yeah I'm going to call one tomorrow morning. Website is still down. My sister is pretty stressed about this.
I found more old news videos about the recall. It sure seems likely to be the cause of this.

IIRC, there was a recall surrounding defective ECMs in that model. Was the recall performed?

https://repairpal.com/recall/10V384000

You can check HERE.
Turned out that website was available to the US only so I found another on Toyota.ca which worked... unfortunately the only open recall is the Takata airbag shrapnel one. So now it still has to go to Toyota but only if they can get it running again.

Yeah I'm going to call one tomorrow morning. Website is still down. My sister is pretty stressed about this.
I found more old news videos about the recall. It sure seems likely to be the cause of this.
Turn off your VPN. Website will work.

Turn off your VPN. Website will work.
No I turned it on to spoof united states.....doesn't work because I'm in Canada. So doesn't work either way. But I found another site and it only shows the airbag recall. Waiting for a dealership in her area to call me back.

Confirmed this one is not covered under the recall even though it is one of the years affected. I may attempt contacting Toyota corporate directly....but they will likely tell us sorry, it's not covered.

Confirmed this one is not covered under the recall even though it is one of the years affected. I may attempt contacting Toyota corporate directly....but they will likely tell us sorry, it's not covered.
Definitely contact Toyota of Canada. I've had dealers lie to my face even when I was holding the documentation that proved it was covered (recall) by the auto manufacturer! Needless to say I didn't have THAT dealer do the warranty work!

With all the symptoms you describe, this is the issue…….trust me.
Search other Toyota Corolla forums and you will see.
Sure seems like the most likely cause unless it's a wiring problem. I'm going to try to get a used ECM and take it to her.

Off topic, but if it's the ECM, I wonder what the defect root cause is? I'm curious because weird behavior is a known issue with the LS400 as the ECM/ECM ages.

Off topic, but if it's the ECM, I wonder what the defect root cause is? I'm curious because weird behavior is a known issue with the LS400 as the ECM/ECM ages.
the service bulletin on the matrix ecm was that the circuit board ends up cracking. ouch.. I bet the LS400 odd behavior is because of aging electrolytic capacitors, 20 years is usually the limit for those types of caps.

the service bulletin on the matrix ecm was that the circuit board ends up cracking. ouch.. I bet the LS400 odd behavior is because of aging electrolytic capacitors, 20 years is usually the limit for those types of caps.
I recall watching a video a while back about some older Lexus, having intermittent issues. It ended up being an ECM issues from a failed capacitor if I remember right.

I recall watching a video a while back about some older Lexus, having intermittent issues. It ended up being an ECM issues from a failed capacitor if I remember right.
I've posted this before:

I don't know if thru hole electrolytic capacitors are still used. Some of them are getting difficult to source from Mouser, Digikey, Newark.

I don't think it's just the ECU's that get funky. The other day I got in the LS and out of the blue, the radio display was missing a bunch of LCD segments.

I've posted this before:

I don't know if thru hole electrolytic capacitors are still used. Some of them are getting difficult to source from Mouser, Digikey, Newark.

I don't think it's just the ECU's that get funky. The other day I got in the LS and out of the blue, the radio display was missing a bunch of LCD segments.
yes they are getting tougher to find.. Nichicon discontinued many of their classic PS- series of electrolytics (through the hole type) within the last year. And you're right it's any electronics that age with that type of capacitor.

This is her ECM. Car-part.com shows none with this id number locally. Not cheap on eBay either.

Screenshot_20240529-061311.jpg

IMG_20240529_061239.jpg

Back