Impala lights dimming on acceleration

As title stated on acceleration lights dim especially with brights on with a stall then normal. This car seems to want to lay down. Injector 4 low voltage code, misfire cylinder 4, battery died and emissions code. I repaired everything last week and no more check engine light. She stated that it has happened since battery died. Had to use the scanner to diagnose charging system. Battery was 50% state and current amps were between 1 Amp and -30 amps with a load. I checked for battery light on dash and it was off so I checked for charging code with no codes. Voltage at battery was 11.27 running and 12.2 not running. I didn't want to just throw a 300.00 alternator at it so I checked grounds as battery saver was working. I had 0% of regulator commanded from body computer. At this point I removed ground on fender which was tight but I wanted to clean connections and what you know. The threads were worn on bolt so it wouldn't tight back up. Got a nut and moved ground to strut brace then regulator started reading on scanner. Amps started coming up and battery state came up. Alternator is charging and battery saver is showing 50 amps above what's being used as battery was charging and no more dimming lights or stall. Weird way to do a simple task of charging a battery. How many shops would have put an alternator on?

Good job trouble shooting. How many shops??? A lot. For electricity being basically a simple circle. Sometimes it can be a head scratcher.

I would say that in a lot of situations it may very well be the alternator or battery but this is a fresh reminder that it's cheap to double check the ground wire first. Was this on a Caravan like in your avatar?

A lot, then they'd see it didn't solve the issue, find the grounding issue and fix it and probably not even note it.
Or they tell them to bring it to the dealer for computer. I don't see many chasing something down and not charging.

Back