2012 Toyota Prius excessive piston skirt wear?

That is scrap metal
Agreed, that engine is scrap. You can buy a new short block from Toyota for around $2500. Toyota doesn't sell long blocks and used long blocks are very expensive for these vehicles.

From when I replaced mine:
EGR valve gets blocked with carbon, blows the head gasket.
Absolutely fake news.

How about this site?

How about this site?

Would be a time saver for sure, no idea about the quality.

You COULD fix the original block but it would have to be welded up and then milled flat, then presumably all cylinders would need to be bored at least 10 thou over(or whatever it takes to get them back to spec) new oversized pistons/rings bearings gaskets etc. problem with that approach is you need a quality machine shop and time.

Hard to tell from that picture whether it is erosion or a crack, but it sure does have the appearance of a crack. Do you have a heat gun? If so, try cleaning the surface, then heating it evenly. See if a crack appears. Sometimes this method will cause the crack to seep contaminates and show.

It is also hard to tell just how deep the erosion is. You could take a file, and draw it across the block a few times, to see just how low that section is. Use care not to get filings inside oil passages or other areas.

The thing is, I don't believe Prius engines are known to crack here.

Doesn’t appear to have a crack.

IMG_3625.jpeg

That's one heck of a blowout. Maybe it could be re-surfaced if it's not too deep. Sometimes pictures make things look worse than they are. It is always a sinking feeling when a simple head gasket job turns into a major overhaul.

Of course, if you choose to rework the block surface, it is sometimes possible to not overhaul it. Takes some care to pull that off, but if parts are in acceptable condition for re-use, it may work.

A rebuilt short block has probably also been resurfaced.

Thanks for all the responses. He ordered a complete engine from Hybridpit. It should be delivered some time next week.

Admins, you can lock this thread. Thanks.

Never really experienced it myself, but I've heard of piston skirts collapsing due to severe overheating which is a possibility for that engine. I think you made the right choice. A rebuilt engine seems to be the proper path.

Back