food stamps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I don't offend anyone.I know there are people who actually need foodstamps and other government help,but don't you think there are some people abusing the system?I went to buy a soda today at quicky mart type place in a rougher part of Memphis.This lady picked up some junk food and placed them on the counter and she had a EBT card.After she used her card she then asked the person behind the counter for 4 $1.00 lotto tickets.She paid for that with cash.($20.00 bill)She gets in her car and drives over to the discount tabacco store directly across the street.Her car was a fairly new Toyota Camry.Does this make any of you furious?I feel cheated!I know there are people who really need this kind of help and I have no problems at all with anybody who has this benefit.If I knew there was someone going without food or clothing or any kind of must have item,I would be more than happy to help someone in a tough spot.I feel it is my duty to help the weak and the poor and the elderly but anyone who has a cell phone and owns a better car than me I just get very,very ticked off.

"anyone who has... a better car than me" I'm right with you. My old roommates girlfriend's job was to go buy things you can't buy with WIC cards here, and she didn't need to try hard. Unfortunately, it's a few thousand dollar fine and they just go back to doing it again. When I was in college my buddy was in the peace corps. He made more than I did, and got 127 bucks a week in food stamps, which is probably more than I could afford in a month. Plenty of abuse stories to go around, no doubt.

I miss the real government "cheese" and flour from the old school welfare programs. I used to trade grocery bags of wine for these items back in the day...I don't care how poor you are you could always use a little Wild Irish Rose!!

I agree also. I see the same kinds of things. I was behind a lady and her 85 kids at the grocery store. All of the food in the cart was microwave soups and ready made meals. This stuff is expensive compared to a regular can of soup. I consider this stuff too expensive and I have a good job. After paying with the EBT card she pulls out 2 $20s and proceeds to buy a carton of smokes. I just about lost it... Give them flour, sugar, etc and a recipe book.

Quote:
I miss the real government "cheese" and flour from the old school welfare programs.
Most of the same stuff was sold at the commissary. My uncle's cupboards were filled with the stuff. The big can of peanut butter ..the long block of cheese. They were all byproducts of USDA surplus ..aka..a government program. I guess you could say that some of the conversion to electronic allowances is part of the Peace Dividend. It is annoying as heck ..and it becomes a lifestyle. ..but I doubt that anyone wants to trade places with anyone using or abusing the system. The sad part about it is that when a legit hard luck person shows up and needs those benefits, the barricades are substantial for the little help that they need. Meanwhile, the cultural lifestyle types are masters of seeing right through usage inhibitors built into the bureaucracy.

some need it when hit by medical costs or loss of job so not to loose their homes or new cars or both . Not all abuse the system , but are tarnished by those who do .

Originally Posted By: gonzo
I hope I don't offend anyone.I know there are people who actually need foodstamps and other government help,but don't you think there are some people abusing the system?I went to buy a soda today at quicky mart type place in a rougher part of Memphis.This lady picked up some junk food and placed them on the counter and she had a EBT card.After she used her card she then asked the person behind the counter for 4 $1.00 lotto tickets.She paid for that with cash.($20.00 bill)She gets in her car and drives over to the discount tabacco store directly across the street.Her car was a fairly new Toyota Camry.Does this make any of you furious?I feel cheated!I know there are people who really need this kind of help and I have no problems at all with anybody who has this benefit.If I knew there was someone going without food or clothing or any kind of must have item,I would be more than happy to help someone in a tough spot.I feel it is my duty to help the weak and the poor and the elderly but anyone who has a cell phone and owns a better car than me I just get very,very ticked off.
Without knowing her financial condition you can't make judgments like this simply because she has a better car than you. Maybe she has foster kids that she takes care of and the state help her with food stamps.

I don't like to pass judgement based on a car someone is driving re:food stamps. Maybe she borrowed the car. I do have a problem with people beating the system, it is flat out wrong. But nothing is done about it, so that sort of encourages the cheating type to take advantage of the system!

It's actually quite difficult to get on food stamps in Indiana. A lot of families that I think need them, do not qualify. I can't say that there are no people who abuse the system but they are a very small fraction. As for buying junky foods, the poorer segments of the society here are not very knowledgeable about the proper nutrition needs for the kids or themselves. There needs to be some education but that way you would hurt the profit margins of those junky food manufacturers. Plus, there is no money for educational programs.

The problem is that the culture of the government dole has been passed from generation to generation for over 40 years now. The culture of military service is often also passed on. Which one would be more desireable? Until our society addresses as opposed to excusing our failures, we'll never remove them. However, the trend is the latter.

Last edited:

Kestas

Staff member
I once had a relative visit from Eastern Europe. While driving her around and showing the city, I pointed out the poor parts of town. She saw all the fat people on the streets and made some kind of remark that they weren't all that unfortunate. It's all in your perspective. Though I count my blessings, I can't feel too sorry for "unfortunate" people if they're still able to afford decent transportation, cell phones, cable, tobacco, and alcohol, not to mention food. Even I don't have a cell phone simply because I don't care for the additional expense.

I was livid when I got my 1st job out of college and was hunting for a cheap apartment. Was competing against Section 8 recipients which set the "floor" at about 1/2 my income! The job panned out and I got raises etc but it was hairy there for a while. The part that gets me is when cornered, it's the boyfriends car (boyfriend of many years), or the parents slide the folks some dough for a new one. These are the same fraudsters that make insuring second cars as expensive as first ones and a real impediment towards keeping a fuel efficient commuter car. If that support is available then perhaps they could send money for FOOD. The part that doesn't bug me at all is the smokes and lotto tickets, that money goes right back to the state. IMO welfare should be a forgivable loan, that is only called in if someone becomes an overnight millionaire via lotto or inheritance etc. A couple times a year I get bored and fix up some clunker car and sell it cheap. The people buying these are the working stiffs. I buy them FROM the clueless dole types who, gasp, don't take care of them and something simple drags them down.

Status
Not open for further replies.