Fold flat Back Seats in 2019 or 2020 RAV4

We are considering a recent used RAV4 but want one with the fold-flat rear seats. Did they still exist in 2019 or 2020?
Second Question: What is done to achieve the 3500 lb Towing Capacity of the Adventure model? One article said it is achieved via use of an over-sized radiator, and addition of an engine oil cooler and a transmission oil cooler. If so, can these be retrofitted to a non-Adventure model?
Third question: Is there a transmission software difference too? Articles hint that might be the case.

#2, you might be able to fit the parts but you won't officially have 3500# Tow Capacity. Could be a problem if you'd get stopped for something while towing a 3000# trailer with the normal 1500# tow rating. Tongue weight 150 vs 350. How's your risk tolerance?

My load is a light weight Utility Trailer containing a small vintage Formula Car. Total weight around 1700lbs. I currently tow with my SAAB 9-5 sedan which is rated 1500/3500 pounds towing capacity. The 1500 lbs is 70 MPH with an unbraked trailer, the 3500 lbs is 70 MPH with a braked trailer. I tow at 60-62 MPH which bumps the 1500 lbs rating to 2000 lbs (per the Manual). Plus, my car is an Aero version with increased rotor sizes for additional braking. Tongue weight is low.
It is because I am currently towing so near to the upper limit that I am looking for a non-truck and compact sized replacement vehicle with greater tow capacity. I currently avoid towing through areas with significant hills because I am running near the limit, which eliminates my participation in certain events.

Last edited:
I have a 2020 and can say without a doubt that neither the 2019 or 2020 have fold flat back seats; they have a slight incline, but it hasn’t stopped me from hauling around large items.

Have you considered a fairly new Sorento? With a 3.3 V6 it can tow 5000 lbs. Sorento would be in the same class of vehicle as the RAV4.

I do not believe there is such a thing as "weight police" who patrol the highways looking for people who are 10lb over their rated capacity.

People worry that, if something happens, that they will get sued to oblivion by the other guy's lawyer, using overweight as automatic reason as to why the person who was towing "too much" deserves to lose. I'm not sure there have been cases of this, and if so, if they haven't be egregious cases of being beyond what is obviously safe.

I am not sure what is different between the models. Oil coolers obviously are not a safety item: springs could qualify, but brakes sure could, as would tire ratings. So you could hit up rockauto and see if the same brake pads are used between the models--implying the same (or different) braking options. Could do the same on springs.

Ultimately, if you are towing the correct or less "allowed" weight--and something goes wrong--you're liable. That never changes. Only you can figure out if you are ok with exceeding capacities. I could not encourage you to do so. With that said, most other countries tow more than we do (albeit at slower speeds) so... I know I would not lose sleep being 10% over. But if I knew I was going to be routinely doing this, I'd err on the side of caution. It usually leads to a less white-knuckled ride.

To offer an alternative view, how many times are you towing? Might you be better off with whatever daily driver you prefer, and just renting a big ole truck for the few times you really need it? Or maybe split the difference, this daily driver you have (or get), it's ok for local short haul stuff, but when you need to travel far or over the big hills, then rent something? If you don't buy a replacement vehicle, would that leave lots of money to rent, thus saving money?

Back