focus se zytec engine, going to be filled with mobil 1 0w20

The car has about 81,000 miles on it, has used motorcraft 5w20 from day 1 and is changed every 3000 miles. Im going to be changing the oil to syn(mobil 1 0w20 and a motorcraft fl2005 filter). My question is, what drain intervals can i expect for this oil, as the regular dino changes were about once per month because my uncle drives about 3000 miles per month, and he got it changed once a month. Thanks, Aaron

I have to ask why change the make of oil this far into the cars life? The Motorcraft seems to do a good job based on UOA. That said, I think 6K is where I would drain the M1, then do UOA to see how its doing.

Just bought 5 quarts of M1 5W-30 for 18.44 at wallyworld and will be changing out the Accord tonight with it and a Purolator filter. After reading a lot of UOA's, I'm going to run 5K changes, which by itself, will be hard for me coming from the 3K/3 months old school of thinking. It's got Pennz. Purebase 5W-30 and I'm debating to take a UOA. I already had one done with a 5W-20 and it was, surprisedly, pretty good shape after 3400. Think I'll wait and do a UOA with the M1. I don't know.....

Not to rabble rouse, I just had to interject my perhaps irrational reluctance to use a 20weight oil UOA or not. Then again the 40weight crowd fears 30's for the same reason. IMO, unless Ford clearly forbids it is to use an Xw30...Mobil 1 10W30 is an exellent recommendation.

Not sure how much difference there is (or even if the same engine) but I have a 96 Zetec in a Mystique. Been running 0W30 (manual call for 5W30)for a few years now with once a year changes, filter at six months with about 8-10,000 miles/year on it. Has 82,000 total miles now. UOA has been fine.

A good 0/5W-30 oil will do fine in the Zetec engine. They don't seem to like heavy oil, especially at start-up. A 10W-30 will not flow fast enough. I know I tried it in my 1996 and start-ups were noticably more painfully noisey. Also they don't like an oil thicker than 30 weight. Again, before I discovered "Bob" I used Syntec 5W-50. Gas mileage was less and power was noticably less than when using a good 5W-30 weight oil. For a few years now I've been using Mobile 1 5W-30 and the engine is content [Big Grin] . You can run the 5W-20 that meets Ford's specs. In fact it's probably better than most dino 5W-30's but not better than a true synthectic 0/5W-30. I myself feel better using a 0/5W-30 instead of the 5W-20 weight because I like to rev the dickens out of it. Of course 5W-20 didn't exist in 1996. It's the 5 speed Contour with the aluminum wheels and larger low profile tires. It's my "poor man's" BMW [Cool] . Of course if your dealer is a stickler for using 5W-20 for warranty purposes then of course use the 5W-20 during the warrranty. You won't do any harm. Whimsey

An addendum to what I said above. If you're going to stick with XW-20 then the Mobil1 0W-20 is preferred over the 5W-20 if you're going to go for oil changes longer than 3-4,000 mile range. Even @ 5,000 miles I would still prefer the Mobil 1. If you're going to change out your oil sooner than 5,000 than a good 5W-20 will do jsut fine. Whimsey