FM chemistry and MDS

So if your MDS is “noticeably smoother” using the premium plus 0w20, that tells me that the supercar 0w40 additive pack in OVERKILL’s special blend is not the variable that is smoothing out the “MDS rumble”.
With that said, yours is “noticeably smoother” while he described his as “imperceptible”. It’s possible that the difference between smoother and imperceptible is the difference between his Grand Cherokee with its 6.4 vs our Rams with the 5.7l. As for his Ram, it could be the difference between our older body style without dampers vs his with the dampers.

I need a cup of coffee. My brain is working too hard on a Saturday morning.
How do you know that the FM that could be resulting in the change isn’t the same between the two oils? Whatever is causing it may be more present in the SuperCar blend, but if there is sufficient in the Premium Plus to still get similar or almost-similar results. The only real way to tell would be for Skippy to try the SC at some point and see if the rumble is further reduced.

How do you know that the FM that could be resulting in the change isn’t the same between the two oils? Whatever is causing it may be more present in the SuperCar blend, but if there is sufficient in the Premium Plus to still get similar or almost-similar results. The only real way to tell would be for Skippy to try the SC at some point and see if the rumble is further reduced.
You're correct, there's no way to tell unless extensive experimentation is carried out. For that, OVERKILL would need to use the Premium Plus and Skippy would have to use the special blend that OVERKILL had made to see if they experience an improvement on Skippy's part and a slight reduction on OVERKILL's part.
There again, as I mentioned, the difference in their perception of the "MDS rumble" being reduced to the levels they experienced could also "Possibly" be the difference in the vehicle structure. The difference is the new Ram with Dampers vs. the old Ram without and also the Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a 6.4l vs an older Ram with a 5.7L, all completely different animals.
The Critic had previously stated this about his Ram, "To be fair, mine is almost unnoticeable as it currently is.", and as OVERKILL mentioned to him, his Ram has the frame-mounted Dampers that Skippy's is not equipped with. Right there, OVERKILL mentions a variable when it comes to the Ram vs Ram MDS rumble.
So using The Critics experience, a Ram with dampers is almost unnoticeable as is, while the older Ram is very noticeable,... I know this because I drive one. Therefore the same amount of reduction in "MDS rumble" using either oil may take the new Ram to "imperceptible" while taking the older Ram to "noticeably smoother" with the dampers and structure being the variable causing the difference in perception.
I guess what I should have stated is that it is "possible" that the special blend with the Supercar 0w40 additive is not specifically needed to achieve the "same level" of reduction in "MDS rumble".
Either way, you're correct, I really don't know for sure, I'm just forming an opinion based on what I've read and my thoughts on the differences in vehicles. More experimentation is called for. ;) 🍻

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
You're correct, there's no way to tell unless extensive experimentation is carried out. For that, OVERKILL would need to use the Premium Plus and Skippy would have to use the special blend that OVERKILL had made to see if they experience an improvement on Skippy's part and a slight reduction on OVERKILL's part.
There again, as I mentioned, the difference in their perception of the "MDS rumble" being reduced to the levels they experienced could also "Possibly" be the difference in the vehicle structure. The difference is the new Ram with Dampers vs. the old Ram without and also the Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a 6.4l vs an older Ram with a 5.7L, all completely different animals.
The Critic had previously stated this about his Ram, "To be fair, mine is almost unnoticeable as it currently is.", and as OVERKILL mentioned to him, his Ram has the frame-mounted Dampers that Skippy's is not equipped with. Right there, OVERKILL mentions a variable when it comes to the Ram vs Ram MDS rumble.
So using The Critics experience, a Ram with dampers is almost unnoticeable as is, while the older Ram is very noticeable,... I know this because I drive one. Therefore the same amount of reduction in "MDS rumble" using either oil may take the new Ram to "imperceptible" while taking the older Ram to "noticeably smoother" with the dampers and structure being the variable causing the difference in perception.
I guess what I should have stated is that it is "possible" that the special blend with the Supercar 0w40 additive is not specifically needed to achieve the "same level" of reduction in "MDS rumble".
Either way, you're correct, I really don't know for sure, I'm just forming an opinion based on what I've read and my thoughts on the differences in vehicles. More experimentation is called for. ;) 🍻
And it's also important to keep in mind here that MDS had absolutely no bearing on my suggestion to Dave that @High Performance Lubricants could produce a 0W-20 with a full-SAPS Euro additive package. This was just a side effect of my switch to HPL, I wanted the Euro additive package for the higher levels of AW additives.

Last edited:
And it's also important to keep in mind here that MDS had absolutely no bearing on my suggestion to Dave that @High Performance Lubricants could produce a 0W-20 with a full-SAPS Euro additive package. This was just a side effect of my switch to HPL, I wanted the Euro additive package for the higher levels of AW additives.
Absolutely! I completely understand your reasoning behind the suggestion and I think that it’s a great one. You know, there’s usually a negative connotation associated with the words “side effect”, but it’s nice to have positive side effects from time to time. 😉🍻

Last edited: