"Flushed" my transmission at home - a question

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 F150 with 4R75W transmission. I disconnected both lines at the aux trans cooler, and placed both lines in milk jugs. When I started the engine, I was only expecting fluid to come out of the return line. But to my surprise, fluid came out of both lines, at about the same rate.

Just wondering... doesn't tranny fluid follow a certain path, out of the tranny, into the radiator, into the aux cooler, then back into the tranny? Then why would fluid of come out of the the "to" and "from" lines?

All in all, it was successful though. I flushed a total of about 20 quarts of fluid through it. Max capacity is 13.9 quarts, so what I did was more than enough.

Now, since you had the lines off did you install a Magnefine filter?

Fluid coming out of both lines does not make sense. And the fluid did not flow from either until the engine was started? Did you get 10 QT out of each line?

Was the trans super hot or over-filled slightly? The cooler return line should just dump into the sump/pan. Possibly an over full situation causing ATF to spill out?

Joel

A pump pumps.> > >
There is no suction device on the return line.
It returns by pressure from the feed line.
I can see oil pouring out of the return, but not under pressure.

Hmmm... All very interesting comments.

No Magnafine filter... What is that?

ATF was definately NOT hot. It was on the warm side. I let it sit for about 30 minutes before doing the service.

It was constantly over-filled by about 1 quart. If I pumped out 4 qts, I would add 5...

And the gravity/siphon idea makes sense to.... hmmm...

Also, oddly enough, about equal amounts of fluid came out of each line!

bamorris2- I have the same truck as you. I am currently awaiting a shipment of ATF from Amsoil that I purchased from Pablo. If its not to much trouble can you explain to me step by step how you performed this maintenance. This would be a great help to me and a money saver versus going to Riverside Ford and paying them close to 200 dollars just for the service.
Thanks man
Chad

Originally Posted By: Vincent_Vega
bamorris2- I have the same truck as you. I am currently awaiting a shipment of ATF from Amsoil that I purchased from Pablo. If its not to much trouble can you explain to me step by step how you performed this maintenance. This would be a great help to me and a money saver versus going to Riverside Ford and paying them close to 200 dollars just for the service.
Thanks man
Chad

This is the instructions from Amsoil on how to do it:

http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/ATF_and_Filter_Change_Procedures.pdf

Originally Posted By: Vincent_Vega
Thanks man
Chad

Here's what I did:

1. Removed both lines from the aux ATF cooler. Placed each line in a 1-gallon milk jug.

2. Had a helper start the truck, and let it run until the flow got weak (roughly 3-4 qts). Had helper shut off engine

3. Added new ATF in the same amount as what had been pumped into the milk jugs.

4. Emptied milk jugs into bucket (to take to recycling).

Repeat steps 2-4 until new/fresh fluid starts to pump into the milk jugs. You'll be able to tell the difference in the color of the old fluid (dark) versus the new fluid (translucent red).

I did this procedure (steps 2-4) about 4 or 5 times. I think I went through a total of almost 20 quarts of new ATF (although our max capacity is only 13.9 qts). This was a bit overkill, but I was sure that I got all of the old ATF out of the system.

The only additional thing that I could of done (but didn't) was take my air compressor and, with low pressure, blow out the aux cooler. But I think that by having both lines disconnected, most of the ATF drained out of it anyway.

All in all, took me about 90 minutes, including test drive and cleanup. Saved myself about $100 for a flush. Also, I got what I think is a pretty good deal on the ATF. I went with Valvoline full synthetic Mercon V ATF. I got it online at Kragen (partsamerica) for about $3.40 per quart. Picked it up at my local Kragen. Instore, it sells for $4.99 per quart.

bamorris2- thanks bro.
thankyou2.gif

If a tranny has a parallel thermostat somewhere in the ATF flow loop, it would be possible to have ATF exit 'both' cooler lines when warm. I'll have to take a look at the r75 fluid flow the next time I see the service manual.

Most trannies only need '1' cooler line removed for a flush. Simply knowing the flow direction is all that is needed.

If a tranny has a parallel thermostat somewhere in the ATF flow loop, it would be possible to have ATF exit 'both' cooler lines when warm. I'll have to take a look at the r75 fluid flow the next time I see the service manual.

Most trannies only need '1' cooler line removed for a flush. Simply knowing the flow direction is all that is needed.

Originally Posted By: unDummy

Maybe you're onto something here... About half way between the cooler and the transmission, there is what I think is a bypass. Maybe it's a parallel bypass..??..

It looks somewhat similiar to the item HERE, but is about twice the size, and is silver aluminum.

Originally Posted By: bamorris2
Hmmm... All very interesting comments.

No Magnafine filter... What is that?

ATF was definately NOT hot. It was on the warm side. I let it sit for about 30 minutes before doing the service.

It was constantly over-filled by about 1 quart. If I pumped out 4 qts, I would add 5...

And the gravity/siphon idea makes sense to.... hmmm...

Also, oddly enough, about equal amounts of fluid came out of each line!

A Magnefine filter is a trans filter you attach inline with the cooling line. They are a BITOG sponsor so their ad should be on the banner (it is for me). You just need to know 3/8 ID or 7/16 or 1/2. The filter should be good for 30K miles and should pull a lot of the wear metals from the ATF. Napa sells them in a Napa box, but the filter itself says Magnefine.

Originally Posted By: ConfederateTyrant
Quote:
Napa sells them in a Napa box, but the filter itself says Magnefine.

Except my local NAPA stores want ~$25 for one, while Magnefine's website is $15 + shipping.

My local Napa store (upstate NY) was just under $20 I think, not sure how much shipping would be from Magnefine but thought it was close enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back