Chrysler Transmission reset

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
He goes over the actual procedure at 2:50 mark.

Came across this procedure for resetting Chrysler Pacifica 9 speed transmission, but I tried it and it also worked on my 62TE tranny in my Grand Caravan.
I noticed recently the shifts were getting a bit harsh in some situations, especially once fully warmed up. I did this reset and noticed smoother shifts.

Then I dropped the pan, changed the AT filter and did a cooler line exchange, followed by the reset and the shifts are very smooth now.

I think it's worth a try even if you have a different transmission.

Other Chrysler sites claim that the procedure in your video resets the drive-by-wire/throttle body calibration: https://www.300cforums.com/threads/throttle-calibration-works.24673/

Some Chrysler websites claim that disconnecting the battery for a short time will reset the transmission adaptive learning.

My factory service manual states you have to use a scan tool to reset these things.

I'm confused (again).

On the ZF units, I have been warned to never perform a reset if the unit is worn. Depending how worn the clutches, a quick learn may never complete successfully and you will go from a working to a non-working unit.

On the ZF units, I have been warned to never perform a reset if the unit is worn. Depending how worn the clutches, a quick learn may never complete successfully and you will go from a working to a non-working unit.

Resetting adaptive tables seems to be all the rage these days. There's a bunch of people over on the Ranger forum who are resetting their 10R80 adaptives pretty frequently and then just driving. I've never reset mine and don't plan to. Especially since there's a set procedure to re-learn the TCM that most of them aren't doing. Some of them are looking into actually shutting adaptive learning off.

I think @The Critic has stated a pretty good cautionary tale. You might get away with it for a while, but I doubt it is good for the longevity of the box. I know dude in the video said one year, but unless he's piling on the miles that's probably only 12-18k on the trans, I would expect it to live that long.

Reactions: JTK
What the heck is it with these ZF9's in certain models. Owners of R53 model Nissan Pathfinders (2021+) complain about the same irregularities. If the issue is for sure software driven, you'd think there'd be a fix by now.

What the heck is it with these ZF9's in certain models. Owners of R53 model Nissan Pathfinders (2021+) complain about the same irregularities. If the issue is for sure software driven, you'd think there'd be a fix by now.

My understanding is it is a design issue.

I'm going to get this wrong, but the info is out there. One or a few of the gearchanges in the ZF9 box require super precise timing, if you don't get it just right the box with either flare or bind, either one is a driveability concern. I saw a vid once upon a time that described it, I'm sure I'll find it again if I go looking for it. The bottom line was there was only so much you could do with programming to fix the harshness.

That's what makes me think people that are resetting the tables might be shooting themselves in the foot. Delaying the shifts and causing more clutch wear.

--Edit-- Found It

Skip to ~3:00 if you want to get to the breakdown.

Two dog clutches, which seems like a harsh way to stop or start a chunk of transmission iron:

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
Back