Flowbee haircut system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here use this? It's a vacuum-assisted hair trimmer. It has a ton of positive reviews on Amazon, but lately I'm incredulous about Amazon ratings due to shill reviews. So I come to BITOG for guidance

First-hand opinions?

I can't speak for the flowbee but I can speak for the Wahl Deluxe Haircut Kit from costco: http://www.costco.com/Wahl-Deluxe-Haircut-Kit-with-Trimmer.product.100161613.html I've had it for a while now and it works great. Cleanup isn't a big deal. I wear a towel over my shoulders and my wife does the cutting. Afterward a quick sweep of the floor and a rinse of the head in the shower and I'm all set. Sure beats going to get my hair cut somewhere else and has paid for itself many times over.

O no!

I just remember the commercials (or infomercials) from, the 90s I believe.

I do miss the greats, pre-Billy Mays days.

Micro Machines guy teaching how to talk fast.

Math wizards.

ProLong
Duralube
Motor-Up
That car finish products that was only good on enamel- pre-clear coat finishes....circa 1987.....I remember using that one on my first car.

OxyClean
Ronco, Ronco, Ronco

Ginsu knives
Sobakawa buckwheat husk pillow

Food dehydrators
Elvis plates

tumblr_mjjzxcCXXh1qzj1kko1_500.jpg

I'm a cheapo but I'll splurge on haircuts.

Been using one since 1998. Still going strong and does what it's advertised to do. I dont know if the newer units are made in the USA,but the one i bought in 1998 says made in the USA and has worked flawlessly. I don't recall ever going to the barber after getting the flowbee.

Quote:

'90s maybe, but that hilarity was well on display in the '80s. I vividly recall my brother and I and pals cracking on it back in high school days.

Quote:
I can't speak for the flowbee but I can speak for the Wahl Deluxe Haircut Kit from costco: http://www.costco.com/Wahl-Deluxe-Haircut-Kit-with-Trimmer.product.100161613.html I've had it for a while now and it works great.

+100

I have a very similar kit and it's awesome. I can afford whatever haircare I want, but I LOVE not having to do the PC-dance of the hair salon routine. There was an article in GQ or similar recently about how men hate this stuff. Making an appt. Or showing up and waiting. Making chit-chat. Walking out with zero progress - same place you were six weeks before. Massive waste of time in guy-think.

You can use a simple system and get salon results in way less time and hassle. And to me it's about that, not the money.

I have even got my license now to do the kids' hair - they haven't been to the salon in six months. They'll likely go in the next month or two; a professional hand once in a while is not bad. But it is not rocket science to trim hair if you read a little on it and apply some thoughtful skill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave63
Been using one since 1998. Still going strong and does what it's advertised to do. I dont know if the newer units are made in the USA,but the one i bought in 1998 says made in the USA and has worked flawlessly. I don't recall ever going to the barber after getting the flowbee.

That's surprising, with all the Flowbee jokes that came out during the time these infomercials aired. I was going to say stay away, but if it is hanging in there after 18 years.....

Unless you're pullng our collective leg.

My brother has one and it does a great job. I have a Wahl and it too does a good job. Unless you have some complex haircut, it's a piece of cake to cut your own hair. I saw his first cut with the flowvee and it looked like he came from the barber shop.

I buy Wahl clippers.

I have a new one, last one was 20 years old.

It is the Wahl Magic Clip with the V2000 motor.

I get thick hair like a rodent on the sides and back of my head, it would actually lock up the blades on my cheaper old Wahl.

I buzz my head 1/16" long once a month, I love the feel.

Who needs hair. Hair is a ton of work haha

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
O no!

I do miss the greats, pre-Billy Mays days.

Micro Machines guy teaching how to talk fast.

Math wizards.

ProLong
Duralube
Motor-Up
That car finish products that was only good on enamel- pre-clear coat finishes....circa 1987.....I remember using that one on my first car.

OxyClean
Ronco, Ronco, Ronco

Ginsu knives
Sobakawa buckwheat husk pillow

Food dehydrators
Elvis plates

I remember it being advertised on TV many years ago. Do they still sell it?

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Majority of the time self haircuts look like self haircuts.

Yep...quoted for truth

My wife learned to cut my hair from a barber. We diod that for many many years. Then I got a Wahl and did it myself for years.

At the age of at the age of around 67 I decided I would spring for a haircut every 3 weeks. And yes, I still have a full head of hair...lol

I honestly don't know about these self cut apparati, but I do remember thrifty friends of mine going to barber or hairdresser schools for cheap cuts. Some time ago, a friend came to work with the back of his head shaved but the hair still longish in front, he looked like a monk or some kind of looney...we all poked fun at him, but his triumphant reply was that he only paid $2 and was so much smarter than people who paid $8 or whatever. You would have had to pay me $1000 to walk around with that hair. My wife took my daughter to a hairdresser's school once and our little girl did not forgive her for that for some time, luckily it was in the summer and not that many of her friends saw her...even the wife stopped going there for herself after that.

I go to cheapo salons that are $12-14, tend to avoid barbers because I have always had better luck with hairdressers actually cutting it the way I want...barbers seem to me to have their own way of doing things and don't listen so much. I get it cut fairly short and let it grow out for 3-4 months, it gets a little shaggy but I used to wear my hair really long and am comfortable with it. I usually close my eyes when they spray my head before the cut and then just keep them closed, partially to relax and partially to avoid the inane chit-chat.

I use Wahl clippers and cut my own. About 15 years ago I got tired of going into the shop near me and trying to figure out what the little Asian ladies were trying to say to me. Plus it was 11 bucks and I figured I could do it as well myself. I was right. And yes, I am frugal. Sounds better than cheap.

Never used the flow bee, but the Panasonic ER224 is the best for self haircuts, it's adjustable guide does small increments it makes tapering the lengths very easy. I have a whal kit that is very powerful and sturdy but can't match the Panasonic for its ease of use.

That machine has saved me hours of barbershop time and kept over $1000 in my pocket since I've started using it,

A barber COULD cut my hair better but most of the time they don't, most barbers are Jiffy Lube for for your hair.

Last time I went to a barber I came out looking older than I went in. Even my wife commented on it. I went back to buzzing my hair with a Wahl. Works for me.

Few more years I won't need to bother to. I'm not sure I can picture myself with a shaved head, but it won't be long before there is nothing on top. Don't know if shaving will be cheaper than shampoo.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I buy Wahl clippers.

I have a new one, last one was 20 years old.

It is the Wahl Magic Clip with the V2000 motor.

I get thick hair like a rodent on the sides and back of my head, it would actually lock up the blades on my cheaper old Wahl.

I buzz my head 1/16" long once a month, I love the feel.

Who needs hair. Hair is a ton of work haha

This is 100% me. I have been buzzing my own hair since age 5 (now in upper 30's). I am only on my second set of clippers. I can't make it 4 weeks though, so I usually do it about every two weeks. I have been doing the same to my son, who is 4 and he loves the short hair too.

Lets see...if I paid for all my hair cuts at $10 a pop, I would have spent about $8000 on hair cuts by now. I guess you should subtract the price of two sets of clippers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back