Flipping back and fourth????? M1 and GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I would stick with GC in my VW 2.0T, but I am coming up on on a change and there is no GC on my garage shelf. I have to hit a store. I can't find GC on sale, but AA is selling 5 quarts of M1 0w40 with a M1 filter for $28. Darn good deal.

Does anyone think this is a problem with jumping from oil to oil, depending upon which is the best price?

0 - @ 1k miles - FF
@1k - 5k miles - GC
5k - 10k miles - This could be M1 0w40
10k - 15k miles - Stealer will probably pour in Castrol 5w40

Anyone see any problem with changing oil brands and weights like the example above?

no problem at all. although I would consider sticking with M1 over the Castrol 5w-40 as I believe M1 is a group IV and castrol is a group III

Hi,
BigJohn - No "problems" in changing lubricants except from skewing any UOAs you may do

M1 0W-40 at the price is a bargain (in OZ the five litres and filter would cost around $A120) - it is a premium quality lubricant as you know. I would be telling the Dealer what you want - supply it if you must!

Last edited:
I plan on using GC in summer and M1 0w-30 in winter for the Astra. To me, the visc change is more important than the chemistry change. That is, I am unconcerned about formula change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back