Fleetguard LF9028 in your Cummins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many have tried the Fleetguard LF9028 in their Cummins diesel? It is apparently a two-stage design, containing both a full-flow and bypass filter within the same can. I just bought one from Amazon to use on my 2007 Dodge Ram w. 6.7L Cummins.

Yes-there is one on my '06 in my signature right now. It's technically not recommended by Dodge-but it is used on other B series 5.9 (& assuming 6.7) Cummins engines by other manufacturers. So far it's been fine on mine, oil pressure is identical to other filters I've used.

Has anyone actually cut open this filter to confirm the dual filtration claim? I may be interested if it's proven that it exists. I find it hard to justify a purchase just because of a review on Amazon...

This is the Venturi combo filter-Stratapore media full-flow lower section, bypass discs on top. Expensive, but hoping it'll cut down on soot buildup (to be verified by UOA eventually, M1 TDT in my engine).

My 6.7L Cummins is still breaking in (only 20k miles) and I've yet to even pull a first sample to see how the Mopar oil filter and Valvoline are holding up to the constant towing I do. Once I get a baseline, the BITOG-er in me definitely wants to experiment with different oils / filters so I'll look into this thing for sure.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
This is the Venturi combo filter-Stratapore media full-flow lower section, bypass discs on top. Expensive, but hoping it'll cut down on soot buildup (to be verified by UOA eventually, M1 TDT in my engine).

I don't think even the finest bypass filter system will filter out soot particles, which are smaller than 1/10 of a micron. Anyway, soot particles in engine oil are too small to cause damage to anything. On my last UOA the insolubles were only 0.2% after running 14,700 miles, so even though the oil is black as tar there isn't much soot accumulating in it.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Here's the info from Cummins/Fleetguard:

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/html/en/products/lube/venturi_combo.html

There's a good link to Youtube there on the page too.

I don't know that the filters are worth the money unless you are going to go for extended OCI's.

Personally, I'm using the Stratapores and "normal" OCI's.

I am doing extended OCIs in my Cummins. Blackstone recommended 16.5k for my next OCI based on their UOA. However, the oil has held up up so well in the past I'm going to shoot for 18k miles, so it will probably be beneficial to change the filter midway through such a long interval. Am thinking about using the LF9028 at the midpoint of the OCI and regular Stratapore when the oil is changed.

I personally use the Donaldson ELF7349 on my cummins but have thought about the LF9028 many times. There is also the Baldwin BD7317.

The BD7317 was the last one I used-it had a smaller bypass area with finer media than a regular filter, but it didn't have the stacked disc section like the Venturi. Short of a centrifuge filter (which AFAIK requires compressed air to operate) there doesn't appear to be a better single spin-on filter for the Cummins B engines.

The BD7317 was the last one I used-it had a smaller bypass area with finer media than a regular filter, but it didn't have the stacked disc section like the Venturi. Short of a centrifuge filter (which AFAIK requires compressed air to operate) there doesn't appear to be a better single spin-on filter for the Cummins B engines.

How long do you usually run the LF9028 for?

Well, I changed the oil filter on my Dodge Ram diesel a couple days ago, using the Fleetguard LF9028 that I bought on Amazon. The oil in my sump has about 9k miles on it and I intend to run it until 18k miles and then do a UOA.

The LF9028 filter has a different look to it than the LF16035 that I normally use. One downside is that it doesn't have the flutes on the end, so I won't be able to use my cap/socket thing to remove it. Looking into the filter, I can see the venturi thing. I filled it with fresh oil and screwed it on. Looking forward to several thousand miles of cleaner oil!

Please do report back.

I wish Cummins Fleetguard would broaden the application listing for the LF9028 to include the RAM trucks.

I'm sure your UOA will be encouraging for folks wanting to filter at a smaller particle size than the standard Stratapore is capable of doing.

The Donaldson ELF 7349 is the most efficient oil filter available for the 5.9/6.7 Cummins engine. It is rated 100% efficient @ 20um, 99% efficient @ 15um, and 60% @ 7um compared to the Fleetguard LF9028 100% efficiency @ 30um, while the bypass gets approximately 5% of the oil @ 5um @ 95% efficiency.
The Fleetguard is a fine oil filter but considering I can buy 3 Donaldsons for the price of 1 Fleetguard, I'll stick with the Donaldson filter. IMO, the best filtration is achieved with a Donaldson full flow and a single remote bypass filter. I built one for about half the price of the Amsoil bypass systems, except I used the EaBP100 bypass filter as it is the best spin on bypass filter available on the market that I'm aware of.

BTW, the Amsoil EAO-80 full flow oil filter is simply a rebadged Donaldson ELF 7349, and Amsoil rates them for 25k miles (when used in conjunction with a full synthetic oil).

Originally Posted By: Rendezvous

How long do you usually run the LF9028 for?
As little as I drive it, it'll probably be 3 years.

Originally Posted By: jrmason
The Donaldson ELF 7349 is the most efficient oil filter available for the 5.9/6.7 Cummins engine. It is rated 100% efficient @ 20um, 99% efficient @ 15um, and 60% @ 7um compared to the Fleetguard LF9028 100% efficiency @ 30um, while the bypass gets approximately 5% of the oil @ 5um @ 95% efficiency.
The Fleetguard is a fine oil filter but considering I can buy 3 Donaldsons for the price of 1 Fleetguard, I'll stick with the Donaldson filter. IMO, the best filtration is achieved with a Donaldson full flow and a single remote bypass filter. I built one for about half the price of the Amsoil bypass systems, except I used the EaBP100 bypass filter as it is the best spin on bypass filter available on the market that I'm aware of.

BTW, the Amsoil EAO-80 full flow oil filter is simply a rebadged Donaldson ELF 7349, and Amsoil rates them for 25k miles (when used in conjunction with a full synthetic oil).
Donaldson must be getting cheaper-I got the LF9028 from filterbarn for $24.80, & the Stratapores to fit the Cummins are $10 or less. Last time I priced an EaBP100 it was $50 or so-and I don't want the oil lines running around my engine. If I ran big mileage it would be a different story.

Originally Posted By: jrmason
The Donaldson ELF 7349 is the most efficient oil filter available for the 5.9/6.7 Cummins engine. It is rated 100% efficient @ 20um, 99% efficient @ 15um, and 60% @ 7um ...

That's some great filtering efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back