Fleet motor oil

The 7.3 Godzilla is a different animal, I didn't know they could be squeezed into a van (guessing cutaway E-350/450 DRWs?). 6.5 MPG is pretty lousy for even a loaded van, you guys must haul really heavy or tow, you're in old school 460 box truck MPG territory!
I think OP stated the fleet idles a lot these things at best are getting what 10-13mpg loaded? If they are idling a ton I can easily see fuel economy #s like that.

I think OP stated the fleet idles a lot these things at best are getting what 10-13mpg loaded? If they are idling a ton I can easily see fuel economy #s like that.

Ton’s ot idle time. Fully loaded. Almost no expressway. All city and country roads. Dirt roads. Frequent full throttle. On the road 10-12 hours a day 7 days a week. When on the expressway they are driven full throttle speed limited by the governor at 75mph. The drivers do not use the cruise.
Empty the smallest one is still over 10,000lbs empty.
The P1200’s weigh 15,000lbs empty and are shaped like a brick. These were not designed for fuel economy. They are designed and built for being on the road 24/7 delivering packages.

That’s roughly every two weeks. Not going to happen. That is way to often we’d go broke.

Rather than pulling the vans off the road for servicing, is there any capacity for someone to do it through the night when they are tucked away?

Rather than pulling the vans off the road for servicing, is there any capacity for someone to do it through the night when they are tucked away?
I wish, but no. We are parked inside a heated building and no work is allowed to be done on the vans while the are backed up to the conveyor belt.
The building is locked at 10pm and not opened again until 3am.
We only have 10 trucks, 9 brand new and one used. So a full time tech is not needed.
We are currently running the used one and two new ones, the others have not come in yet. One of the brand new ones that was at the decal shop has a blown motor, 80 miles on the odometer and no compression on two cylinders. And no engines to be had because Covid.
Four of our trucks are ready to be picked up from the dealer, which is 2 hours away. Then they still need the dash cams and decals before we can put them on the road.
So I need to find the time, between running a route, securing rental trucks until ours are on the road, to go get the new trucks and maintain the ones we have on the road right now.
I just worked on the used one today, did a PM and some other light maintenance and repairs. I did it in my driveway.
I still need the service records from the previous business for it so I can see what hasn't been done to it, like the rear diff being serviced. Or the transmission. Or the coolant changed.

I vote for Kirkland or SuperTech in 15w40 (~$2.50/qt) flavor across the board. Oil filters can be often had for $1-2 each, when bought in small bulk on RockAuto, plus additional 5% off can be often had when someone shares a discount code here. With vehicles idling for as long as they do, and being in heated buildings overnight, and being fully loaded all day long - I'd honestly be inclined to go with Mobil1 15W50 (~$4/qt), but that will result in small oil price increase. Supertech 20W50 (~$2.70/qt) shouldn't be overlooked either, considering the operating conditions already listed. Long idling, and high loads/stress shear oils regardless of grades. So the higher the grade is initially, the more film cushion you got when it shears down.

Last edited:
I plan on doing SOS on the V10’s and V8’s to see how demanding each is on the oil.

I don’t know when you started reading on the thread, but these are parked inside a heated building when not in use and run all day long. They are never shut off during the day, except maybe for the rare occasion.
Roger that. I plainly forgot that they were garaged and were usually in-service (running) when out and about. Perhaps at 55, my age is catching up with me! :cool:

I'm thinking the Kirkland HD 15W-40 might be right up your alley. It's gasoline fleet "SN" ready for your V8 trucks or vans.

And, the price is right. Recently, one of the site mods purchased Kirkland 15W-40 on-sale at one of their stores. The price per quart was BELOW $2.00, or like $1.95 per quart.

Last edited:
Contact a local oil lube distributor or blender

I'd step up to a latest spec 5w40 for the entire fleet, brand/supplier irrelevant.

The other option is a 10w30 or 5w30 synthetic oil.

Unless vehicles are checked daily, I'd worry about oil levels more than oil type/grade/filter/interval.

Time to hire a dedicated shop for service. Much needs to be inspected at each oil change interval on a fleet. Liability on the do it yourselfer or the shop is something to consider.

I like the idea of a 10W-30 Fleet Oil like Rotella T5 10W-30 . It's a higher HTHS oil to meet any HDEO requirements, approved for extended drains (within reason) and not so far away from spec for your 5W-20 spec vehicles.

I would use Supertech full synthetic from Walmart in the 10-30 blend in the summer and 5-30 in the winter. Or go 10-4- if you like. You probably can stretch it to 15,000 mi. with a filter change at 7,500. It's made by Warren Performance Products and I saw a test where it held up to a bunch of brand name products. Get it in the 5 qt jugs and that will save a few bucks. Probably find decent filters by the case cheaper on Amazon.

I would use Supertech full synthetic from Walmart in the 10-30 blend in the summer and 5-30 in the winter. Or go 10-4- if you like. You probably can stretch it to 15,000 mi. with a filter change at 7,500. It's made by Warren Performance Products and I saw a test where it held up to a bunch of brand name products. Get it in the 5 qt jugs and that will save a few bucks. Probably find decent filters by the case cheaper on Amazon.
Can you elaborate on the test you’re referring to?

I saw three of them all done by the same guy. Very professional looking. Maybe not the best tests but close enough. For what this guy wants I think it will be just fine.

I saw three of them all done by the same guy. Very professional looking. Maybe not the best tests but close enough. For what this guy wants I think it will be just fine.
No amateur on YouTube using made up, irrelevant tests to compare various oils against each other is a “professional”. And using the results of these “tests” as a basis for recommending a 15,000 mile OCI is terrible advice.

Look up Project Farm on Utube, you can see quite a few tests performed including the ones I mentioned about Supertech. This does not look like an ameture doing this. This was IMHO and just a suggestion. I have run various oils for 15,000 OCI with filter changes at 5,000 and not ever had a problem. I won't do this now with the vehicles I own because of the cam chains. I'm not sure who makes Kirkland oil, possibly WPP. If so it would be up to par with supertech. That post didn't get a bashing for his suggestion. I just offered a way for the guy to save money. He can make the decision, not us.

Look up Project Farm on Utube, you can see quite a few tests performed including the ones I mentioned about Supertech. This does not look like an ameture doing this. This was IMHO and just a suggestion. I have run various oils for 15,000 OCI with filter changes at 5,000 and not ever had a problem. I won't do this now with the vehicles I own because of the cam chains. I'm not sure who makes Kirkland oil, possibly WPP. If so it would be up to par with supertech. That post didn't get a bashing for his suggestion. I just offered a way for the guy to save money. He can make the decision, not us.
Project Farms “tests” have been discussed, and discredited, numerous times on this forum. In no way do they accurately measure engine oil performance.

Back