Fixin to Run Straight 30 This Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I guess a 7K run is do-able if I don't run into cold temps. At 1000 miles per month I am pushing the end of November. Have had some Nov days in the teens. End of Oct at least. We'll see. Yeah, prob should do UOA at end. I'll think about it.

Seem's like people rarely use strt weight oil's.Why is this ? I am still thinkin about sae50 vs 20w50. If the pour point doesnt really change when its above 55deg. Than whats the point of the W ? When I did my pour test out of a 1/16th inch hole, 20w50 and sae50 poured at the same rate. So what is the point of using w in warm climates ? I'm so confused...

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I remember a few years back when Auto Zone was clearancing gallon jugs of name brand HDMO straight 30 for $1 per gallon! Can't remember name but was blue jug. Some of the guys here stocked up about 20 or 30 gallons. What a deal!
banana2.gif

Hey y'all, please post the story if you are one of the BITOGers who stocked up on this HDMO SAE 30 deal. We'd love to hear about it and what you did with the oil. I bought two gallons and sold it (at cost) to a buddy who has a diesel.
I bought over 30 gallons-it was old-spec Delo 400 SAE 30 (from CD-4 up to CH-4)-some of it I got for 1 (ONE!) cent per gallon! It is used mainly in my GM 6.2 diesel all year & my old 300D in summer only. Still got like 22 left!

I use a lot of Delo 30, I got 80 gallons. I use it in all the no-pay oil changes I do. Currently in the nephew's Volvo V70 with 1/2 bottle of MLEP.

My FIL ran Castrol HD-30 for over 250,000mi in an early 90s I4 Camry. The car was sold some years back and is still running that oil at the same 3K interval with well over 300K on it.

So it can't be that bad. Of course that's down here in Texas where it stays warm.

Originally Posted By: Peter_Pan
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I only know of Ford and Honda recommending 20wt oils. (I may be wrong).

You are.

Mitsubishi, Chrysler and Toyota are recommending 5W-20 in most (if not all) of their most popular 4 cylinder engines now for a few years. Together with Honda and Ford this is more than half of the cars on the road today with a factory fill of 5W-20.

No he ain't
Simply because the same manufacturer will recommend SAE 30 or 40 oils in similar climates on the other side of the puddle. Therefore it does seem to be a"tool". Moreover, some manufacturers who do allow SAE30 oils will do so under the condition that the vehicle is not to be operated at high speeds and heavy loads over extended periods of time.
That said there are applications for SAE 20 oils but the rest of the world does not seem to be joining the trend (in EU it's considered to be a niche product) and down under I bet they use it to lubricate door locks.
Have to admit that I am trying 5W-20 in my Acura CL I will give it 500-600 km more on top of 1000 I already put on it and out it goes, I will change it out with Elf Excelium LDX 5W-40.

I don't have any straight 30 wt, but I'm topping my 5w30 off with delvac 15w40 SL this summer.
wink.gif

just changed out my frankenmix 5w25 (conv 5w20: synth 5w30), for frannkenmix 5w30 (PZ YB 5w30: ST synth 5w30); wife reports engine likes it (Subaru flat four NA 2.5): engine sounds smoother and quieter. don't want to run straight weight because it gets cold here in the mornings, and we don't run the engine 24 hours a day or anything, just 10-15 minutes to get to the China Mart and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back