First time motorcycle buyer

I have a Rigid mount 883 Sportster. It is ill suited to "touring", granted I could make some modifications to improve it but it would still be not very good.

I haven't really kept up with prices but if you can afford a decent rubber mount 883 with a 3.3 or 4.5 gallon tank (preferably EFI) it wouldn't be a terrible choice.

Quality gear is expensive. I hope that it is an additionally budget.

I really want to see what he finally decides on. Any bike mentioned in this post will do what he wants, but the Human factor is the true limiting factor. If most of his riding will be around town short hops, having a touring bike will feel heavy. Trying to go touring an a naked bike will seem after a short while like your using the wrong tool for the job. Your first ride out with friends riding newer sportier bikes that leave you in the dust when they take off, will get old fast. Any bike in his price range will more then likely be 10 years old or older, so parts and service will be needed. Some more then others. Thinking your gonna spend $3000 and ride for miles and miles without any issues is wishfull thinking. A bike is a compromise, just like a boat is. Sometimes you gotta spend more then you planned on to get what you really want or need.,,

Re: Ps. the OP never asked about costs and maintenance, why all the comments on it?

Because he said he wants to keep it in the $3000.00 range, and now days that is a very low price for a nice size street motorcycle, and at that end of the price range anything he gets most likely will need some attention before it is in proper shape to ride safely, and also there is the up-keep maintenance it will require. A nice size motorcycle in that price range will require attention (up-keep) more often than something fresh off of the show-room floor.

OP, it would be helpful to know your body build (height and weight) and also general physical strength. There is a big difference in the range of body builds and a short 120 Lb person and a tall 240 Lb person are going to be comfortable and safe on completely different machines. Along with height and weight physical strength is abilities do enter into it some. Someone who is heavy and all muscle verses someone who is the same height and same weight but much more fat than muscle and only has 1/4 the strength of the all muscle person is not going to be able to handle as heavy a machine as the all muscle person. I am not trying to be discriminating against any body build, it is just that it is what it is, and the physical fit and ability are important parts of handling a motorcycle.

I have a niece who is short and very very skinny. She is also all muscle. All her life she was always underweight but athletic. She runs everywhere even short distances when she was a kid. She has a new 500 cc motorcycle that sits low and it is a lot of bike for her but she can handle it and at her light weight it has plenty of power to go as fast as she wants. Any motorcycle heavier than that probably would be too much bike for her to handle.

So OP, what are your physical characteristics?

OP, it would be helpful to know your body build (height and weight) and also general physical strength. There is a big difference in the range of body builds and a short 120 Lb person and a tall 240 Lb person are going to be comfortable and safe on completely different machines. Along with height and weight physical strength is abilities do enter into it some. Someone who is heavy and all muscle verses someone who is the same height and same weight but much more fat than muscle and only has 1/4 the strength of the all muscle person is not going to be able to handle as heavy a machine as the all muscle person. I am not trying to be discriminating against any body build, it is just that it is what it is, and the physical fit and ability are important parts of handling a motorcycle.

I have a niece who is short and very very skinny. She is also all muscle. All her life she was always underweight but athletic. She runs everywhere even short distances when she was a kid. She has a new 500 cc motorcycle that sits low and it is a lot of bike for her but she can handle it and at her light weight it has plenty of power to go as fast as she wants. Any motorcycle heavier than that probably would be too much bike for her to handle.

So OP, what are your physical characteristics?

I am 5’9 230lbs short and chubby 😂 I’d say average strength. I may underselling my self because I’ve always been stronger than expected but I’d rather under estimate than over. My reach is 71inches as well. I wear a 30-32 in pants leg length. Hopefully That’s enough info. 😂

The fact you checked out the Rebel 500 and it has appeal to you says a lot. You’re not going to be a highway warrior from what you said but it is more than capable of getting out on the open road for the times you want to. As I shared earlier in my post, number one is find a bike that fits you, that you will be comfortable on while becoming familiar with riding a larger bike compared to your 150cc scooter. It will be over the $3000 threshold as noted, however how many of us have started out with a number and then spent an amount above that (probably more than not)? The right bike that fits and has appeal is they key, and you may have found it. Good work!

For those that like stats... Rebel 500 41 hp and 30 ft/lbs at the rear wheel, 408 lbs. curb weight. Sportster 883 48 hp and 50 ft/lbs at the rear wheel, 579 lbs curb weight.

You should be able to find a descent metric cruiser for around $3K easy...at your size like most folks I would recommend 750cc at a minimum, ideally a 900cc or higher. You want to avoid wishing you had more power a year from now.

You should be able to find a descent metric cruiser for around $3K easy...at your size like most folks I would recommend 750cc at a minimum, ideally a 900cc or higher. You want to avoid wishing you had more power a year from now.
If I could find a 750 In a bike size that wasn’t huge that would be perfect. Honestly all the different bikes and names is kind of overwhelming. Lol

If I could find a 750 In a bike size that wasn’t huge that would be perfect. Honestly all the different bikes and names is kind of overwhelming. Lol
How about an older model Harley Sportster? Lower seat height, good torquey engine, not overly heavy but that shouldn’t matter as it sits nice and low.

find any Kawasaki Vulcan 800's in your area?

they are by no means a big bike, very easy to handle and they are chain driven so lighter then a shaft drive

its a nice little bike to run around on and sounds good if you plan on putting different pipes on it etc.
2001-Kawasaki-Vulcan-800-Classic-Motorcycles-For-Sale-20381.jpg

I owned and rode many Japanese bikes many miles. Got married, kid, etc....stopped riding. raised kid and bought Vrod. Loved that bike! Sold it and gave up riding after about a year. EVERY time I went out I was having to do some type of defensive maneuver. Skip the bike and get yourself a small car to tune instead.

Back