first post. can I alternate synth/dino oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. Very interesting site. I did some searches but believe it or not I couldn't find the answer to this basic question:
Can I go from regular oil to synthetic oil after the breakin period and back to dino oil without harming the engine? My dealer said if I go synthetic I can't go back. Sounded fishy to me.

For the record I have a 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 (5W30) and a 2008 Honda Fit Sport (5W20). I'm tired of taking the cars to the dealer and being overcharged for oil changes and tire rotations when I know I can do a better job for less money with better materials (hence the inquiry on synthetic oil) and less time. I have over 15K on the RAV4 an 8K on the Fit so they're well past breakin.

Based on reading here and the excellent price I'm thinking of going Penzoil Platinum from Walmart for both cars.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Yes you can switch between conventional and synthetic. No harm done.

Welcome to the site by the way, and enjoy those oil changes!
thumbsup2.gif
It's a great feeling.

welcome2.gif

Did you ask your dealer why you cannot go back to conventional? I would like to hear some of their reasons, like "well, we won't make as much profit from the lower profit margin oil changes with conventional oil." The reasons should be entertaining, at least. Your instinct was right. It was fishy.

Yes you can go from one to the other without a problem. High mileage engines with poor maintenance history while on conventional oil would be the one to avoid the change to synthetic due to the probablity of the engine starting to leak at the gaskets, seals, or both. The owner gets the idea to start taking good car of his car about 150k miles too late and decides to put some of that "good" oil in it, only to have oil leaking soon afterwards.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...971#Post1409971

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Yes you can switch between conventional and synthetic. No harm done.

Welcome to the site by the way, and enjoy those oil changes!
thumbsup2.gif
It's a great feeling.

welcome2.gif

Thanks for the welcome

I guess its a guy thing but I really enjoy taking care of my car and it bugs me to take the car to the dealership for oil changes *and* be overcharged and made to wait. AND last time there was a leak... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Did you ask your dealer why you cannot go back to conventional? I would like to hear some of their reasons, like "well, we won't make as much profit from the lower profit margin oil changes with conventional oil." The reasons should be entertaining, at least. Your instinct was right. It was fishy.

Yes you can go from one to the other without a problem. High mileage engines with poor maintenance history while on conventional oil would be the one to avoid the change to synthetic due to the probablity of the engine starting to leak at the gaskets, seals, or both. The owner gets the idea to start taking good car of his car about 150k miles too late and decides to put some of that "good" oil in it, only to have oil leaking soon afterwards.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...971#Post1409971

I believe he said to wait until 75K where there is a real benefit to using synthetic. Also he said the seals would get modified by using synthetic. I didn't understand how or why but I just said thanks and decided to not come back :)

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to BITOG.

Your dealer sounds severely misinformed. You can switch between synthetic and conventional all day long. You can realize benefits from synthetic from day one. Synthetics do not react any differently to engine seals than do conventional oils. Use either or with confidence.

You will find many service departments are under-educated and misinformed with regards to vehicle maintenance, especially oils. Lots of myths and legends passed down from generation to generation with no factual basis. No all are this way, but the majority seem to be.

welcome2.gif
Don't let the dealer scare you because the whole "if you switch to synthetic you cant switch back to anything else" excuse because it is a big load of [censored]. If that were true all of our (just about every one on this site) engines would have blown up. good choice on the pp the 2006 Kia optima loves the 5W20 version
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I think quite a few use syn winter only, for cold flow properties and dino when warmer to save a bit of dough.

Originally Posted By: mozart

I believe he said to wait until 75K where there is a real benefit to using synthetic. Also he said the seals would get modified by using synthetic. I didn't understand how or why but I just said thanks and decided to not come back :)

I will echo the other's welcome and comments that you will be fine swapping back and forth. Synthetic oil is fully compatible with conventional oil.

Actually, that idiot service writer sounds to me like he was talking about a High Mileage oil which you generally start using around 75K and that has seal conditioners in it( helps not hurts ). It is amazing the crazy stuff that comes from the mouth of some of these guys. They should not be allowed to work in the auto department at K-Mart selling air fresheners.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Very interesting site. I did some searches but believe it or not I couldn't find the answer to this basic question:
Can I go from regular oil to synthetic oil after the breakin period and back to dino oil without harming the engine? My dealer said if I go synthetic I can't go back. Sounded fishy to me.

For the record I have a 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 (5W30) and a 2008 Honda Fit Sport (5W20). I'm tired of taking the cars to the dealer and being overcharged for oil changes and tire rotations when I know I can do a better job for less money with better materials (hence the inquiry on synthetic oil) and less time. I have over 15K on the RAV4 an 8K on the Fit so they're well past breakin.

Based on reading here and the excellent price I'm thinking of going Penzoil Platinum from Walmart for both cars.

Thanks for your help.

I don't think there is a problem of alternating between synthetic and conventional oil, unless your engine some serious problems.

But I don't understand why you are considering switching to synthetic (good) and then switching back to conventional. Is this because you are concerned it may get too expensive?

Even the cheapest full synthetics are quite good, and one in particular that has received good reviews is Walmart's SuperTech Full Synthetic. You should be able to afford that oil going forward even if you decide a name brand oil is too expensive. Name brand oils have some substantial markup included to cover advertising, marketing, racing support, etc.

I am not trying to persuade you against a brand name oil (I use a very well-known brand of synthetic oil because I can afford it), but I would strongly recommend you stay with a synthetic or at least a synthetic blend as long as can. Just order water more often at restaurants and you can easily afford the difference. This will be better for your heath and the health of your cars.

I certainly agree with all the folks here......your dealer representative makes things up as he goes. The RAV4 V-6 is approved for 5W20, point being you can use the same oil in both cars if desired.

Load of Poop...I had a guy at Autozone tell me that my car was going to blow up...

Still found a good deal on PP anyways...

was told by 1 TOYOTA service manager not to start using synthetic until 20,000 miles due to seating of valves , etc.. Other TOYO service managers say 10,000 , then others right after break in period of 1,000 > 1,500 miles . Enough to drive you up a tree with confusion .

Originally Posted By: Mark888

Thanks for your help.

I don't think there is a problem of alternating between synthetic and conventional oil, unless your engine some serious problems.

But I don't understand why you are considering switching to synthetic (good) and then switching back to conventional. Is this because you are concerned it may get too expensive?

Even the cheapest full synthetics are quite good, and one in particular that has received good reviews is Walmart's SuperTech Full Synthetic. You should be able to afford that oil going forward even if you decide a name brand oil is too expensive. Name brand oils have some substantial markup included to cover advertising, marketing, racing support, etc.

I am not trying to persuade you against a brand name oil (I use a very well-known brand of synthetic oil because I can afford it), but I would strongly recommend you stay with a synthetic or at least a synthetic blend as long as can. Just order water more often at restaurants and you can easily afford the difference. This will be better for your heath and the health of your cars.

The reason I asked about switching back is for my education. Likely I'll go to synthetic and stay there as I can get it pretty cheap at Walmart.

However, if I ever go to the dealer (which is likely for 30K and 60K service) I want to try and save some bucks since they'll overcharge anyway.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I certainly agree with all the folks here......your dealer representative makes things up as he goes. The RAV4 V-6 is approved for 5W20, point being you can use the same oil in both cars if desired.

I didn't see that the RAV4 V6 is approved for 5W20 myself. This is good news if true... Where did you find this info (perhaps I need new glasses and its in my manual :) )

The reason I asked about switching back is for my education. Likely I'll go to synthetic and stay there as I can get it pretty cheap at Walmart.

However, if I ever go to the dealer (which is likely for 30K and 60K service) I want to try and save some bucks since they'll overcharge anyway.

Forget about the 30K and 60K service. They are gigantic ripoffs and are not mandated by the manufacturer. Look at the maintenance schedule in your owners manual (or other doc if applicable) and figure out what must be done at 30K (but skip the oil change since you can do this yourself). Most likely that will be only the transmission service (change fluid) and radiator service (change fluid) and air filter.

You can do the air filter yourself (get the OEM parts), Then call the service department and ask for a quote on transmission service and radiator service. Check for service specials on dealer websites. If you live close to other dealers, shop around.

The rest of the 30K service is complete fluff, like inspecting this and that (they will inspect your car for you anyway for free to see if they can sell you some more services).

Synthetics aren't really any benefit unless they are required by the manufacture or you are going to extend the oil change intevals to 10,000 miles +} your Toys will outlast your ownership of them using the recommended convential oils at the recommended oil change intervals. Don't waste you hard earned $$$ on syn unless you are going to use the Main advantage they offer [extended oil change intervals]

Does anyone know if his Toyota engine is one of the ones that i keep reading about sludging up so much. If it is i would defiantly recommend a syn and still change it at 4k miles.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
Does anyone know if his Toyota engine is one of the ones that i keep reading about sludging up so much. If it is i would defiantly recommend a syn and still change it at 4k miles.

I had a 98 Camry V6 3.0 for 11 years (just sold it) which was the most "sludge prone" Toyota engine. I used M1 5W-30 at 6-7K OCI and engine was in perfect condition when I sold it. 4K OCI is not necessary with a good quality synthetic, even with that particular engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back