First oil change using Mityvac

I'm thinking of getting a mityvac. How will I know if it works with my car?
Peter, its a question of whether the small tube will go down far enough into the transmission. When I got my extractor I found that it wouldn't on the Ford Ranger. It did work on the Slingshot (Ecotec motor) and now with the Audi. Maybe if you post your car, someone on here can tell you before you go to the expense of getting something you can't use.

And in the long run, the dealers avoid probably one of the biggest liabilities with oil changes. The forgotten or jammed/misthreaded oil plug.

2012 Acura TL 6MT with a 3.7 V-6
I have not serviced that engine. Basically, if the dip stick points to the deep part of the pan, you should be OK.
The MityVac comes with 2 tubes; I just use the smaller one all the time. Sometimes you gotta twist it and snake it down.
Use the dip stick as a depth guide.

I used to be an extraction hater; thought they were stupid. I love my MityVac.
I change the filter every 2nd or 3rd service. Good luck.

I have not serviced that engine. Basically, if the dip stick points to the deep part of the pan, you should be OK.
The MityVac comes with 2 tubes; I just use the smaller one all the time. Sometimes you gotta twist it and snake it down.
Use the dip stick as a depth guide.

I used to be an extraction hater; thought they were stupid. I love my MityVac.
I change the filter every 2nd or 3rd service. Good luck.
Thank you, since I found using a cheap vacuum extractor made changing the oil on my lawnmower much easier, thinking of using a mityv on my car.

I have a brand new Mityvac 7201 still in the box from Amazon. I bought it because my 2005 Corvette is a total PITA to get underneath and I change the oil very frequently in the car because I want it to last a long time. I will use it on all of my vehicles and am happy to hear of your report. I am quite sure I will like it a lot since I don't like huge oil spills and I have had a few of those. I am going to try mine on my son's 2020 Jeep Cherokee within a couple of weeks for the maiden trial.

Maybe one day I’ll get one of those pneumatic extraction tanks that not only sucks the oil out of the sump, but can also reverse flow to purge the collection tank into your can that you use to dispose of used oil.

I use a mighty vac more than ramps and drain bolt now that the filters are 20k, great for all the ope too...would replace tomorrow if broken...not to mention these Toyota 120's are full of skid plates.

My 2016 Honda Civic was a problem drawing oil from a oval hole, went to the hardware store bought a 5/32 brass tube then flattened the first 6" to mimic the elongated dip stick tip yet 5/32 fit inside the smallest tube tight.. taped it off then sealed it to draw excess fuel dilution here in the frigid north...gave me the confidence to carry on with that 1.5T diluter, today 70k and running strong.

I just got a Mityvac 9.something liters capacity. It uses the air line off my compressor for suction.

I intend to use it for transmission draining to avoid the big splash down below. Once empty, pull that pan, gasket and filter.

I may use it to drain the differential as well on the Fords, but I have a smaller fluid suction pump for that since the big Mityvac is overkill.

I will probably use it for topside oil changes on my brother’s 2012, and my mom’s 2015, Wrangler Ultimates. They have the 3.6 with the topside oil filter housing.

How long does it take to evacuate the oil?
I didn't think to time it. But once the flow had started, I'd say it probably took at least 10 minutes. Which seemed like a long time as I was watching it. Since it was my first time with the Mityvac I did not go off to do something else while it was draining. I stayed to watch it. At the time, it certainly didn't seem fast. I used the smaller of the two tubes provided per the instructions. Maybe I'll try the larger tube next time.

How much of the oil came out?
%85?
I'd say darn near all of it. The car holds six quarts. The Mityvac is graduated in liters. Six quarts is 5.68 liters. Looking at the canister after the extraction the oil was at roughly the 5.5 level. The tank is not finely graduated. Half liters is as exact as it gets. And the car may have used a very tiny bit of oil in the less than 4000 miles since last change, so I was impressed with amount of oil extracted.

I'd say darn near all of it. The car holds six quarts. The Mityvac is graduated in liters. Six quarts is 5.68 liters. Looking at the canister after the extraction the oil was at roughly the 5.5 level. The tank is not finely graduated. Half liters is as exact as it gets. And the car may have used a very tiny bit of oil in the less than 4000 miles since last change, so I was impressed with amount of oil extracted.
Perfect. It’s just as much as if you replaced the plug when it was slowly dripping anyway. I don’t waste time letting the engine drip oil one drop at a time into the pan. Plug back in and move on to other things. ;)

What I need is a local source for the thin walled tubing these extractors use.
I made an extractor out of a vacuum pump, a 5 gallon pail and some tubing.
Trouble was that the tubing was thick walled. This yielded a small inner diameter. It was unbearably slow even with hot oil.
Also, warm - hot oil causes the "aquarium tubing" to collapse.
This is why I never posted a report or follow-up.

I need a source for 4 feet of tubing which won't charge me $75 in shipping. It's insane.
These supply companies have artificial prices because labs order form them. Labs pay whatever because the rest of their operation can't be halted for inches of tubing...no matter how overpriced.

Back