First oil change using Mityvac

Yesterday I used my new Mityvac for the first time to do an oil change on my 2019 Audi S3. It worked out really well, although truth be told, I would rather have been under the car for the drain. The S3 is too low to get onto my Rhino ramps. So Mityvac 7201 to the rescue. When I bought the car the Audi dealer told me that they extract through the dipstick tube when they do changes, so it can't be too bad.

I followed the directions and everything worked. It's a fairly clean process, but when it's done, you have the drain tubes to deal with. I happened to have a large piece of cardboard that I could lay the one tube on. I was able to prop up the other tube connected to the large reservoir so it's residue oil could drain on into the reservoir. The EA888 engine has the canister type filter on the top side so no fuss there.

It makes me wonder why the dealer would extract through the dipstick tube when they have lifts and the other equipment handy. I would rather see the oil gushing out from the bottom of the engine than slowly being lifted off of the bottom of the pan. Oh well. Unless I build myself some wooden ramps to accommodate the front of the car, I'll be using the Mityvac from here on. It did work well though.

It is probably much easier for the tech to extract the oil through the dipstick and no lift require. The suction machine is probably faster than the Mityvac.

Audi dealer in Winston Salem also use the suction method. I have a Mityvac knockoff and it takes constant pumping; don't know if that is normal, but do know it is tiring.

To prevent any VVT problems, I would stay away from extended oil changes.
I will. This car will be driven roughly 8,000 miles a year and I plan to change oil twice a year, so approximately every 4,000 miles. The little sticker in the corner of the windshield from the dealer had the next change at 10,000 miles from the last change. I did this one at less than 4,000.

The Mityvac is the way to go hands down.

It's a brand new car; what's there to see under there?
It's not quite brand new. It's a '19. I got it with 17,000 miles on it. I now have 18,000. The dealer did the last change at 14,xxx. I'm going to change it more often than Audi says to.

Audi dealer in Winston Salem also use the suction method. I have a Mityvac knockoff and it takes constant pumping; don't know if that is normal, but do know it is tiring.
The oil should be warm; even kinda hot. I insert the tube, pump the MityVac a buncha times and then just let it work.
I generally pump it up one more time mid way through. Easy peasey.

It may be too low to fit on their lifts, if you can't get it on ramps. And have you ever looked under the car?
There are most likely plastic covers over everything that would need to be removed just to see the drain plug.
They're just not going to take the time and will suck it out.

Mercedes makes it pretty easy, 10 8mm bolts and the front pan drops off. Everything is easy from there.
BUT, I'm pretty certain that the dealerships won't take the pan off either, and just suck it out. Quicker.

Back