First oil change timing?

LDB

Got a 2022 Ford Escape SE FWD 1.5L Eco-Boost a few weeks ago. Fifty years ago most people did a first oil change in 100-500 miles to get any "break-in" metal particles out. Yes, we've come a LONG way since then. But does very small engine size make any difference? Having a turbo make any difference? Any other factors that make any difference? Should I just change it in 1 year (I'll never drive enough miles to run the change indicator down, probably looking at 60% oil life remaining at 1 year)? And before scolding, I tried a search but it didn't return anything. Any and all constructive input greatly appreciated.

i did at 3000km. peace of mind.
big parts will not go through mesh, and small get stuck in filter.
after 23000km character changed and i consider it break in.

Unless you're noticing something strange, I'd change it a bit early, say around 2000 or 2500 miles. Stay on-top of oil levels and any consumption. Good luck.

I usually change it out at 1,200 miles or so, then again after 4,000 miles. It probably is not necessary, but for some reason I worry about those break in metals.

A coworker recently went 11,000 miles on her first oil change in her Kia Carnival. I tore apart the cartridge filter and it was full of little metal specs, but that’s what it’s supposed to do I guess.

Some people go by the manufacturers recommendation , and others can't sleep at night if they don't change it at 750 miles . :oops: At the end of the day it's a matter of who's opinion you believe .

Nobody knows so err on the side of safety and change it at 500 miles. That begs the question, will particles have tapered off by then or should you change it again in 500 more miles?

I'd probably go through the first two OCI's quick with some cheap Supertech.

Well, I recently purchased a 2022 Silverado with the 5.3L Ecotec engine and I am chomping at the bit to change the oil and filter, so I can sympathize with the OP. Heck, I already have the new oil and oil filter! I currently have just under 1000 miles on the odometer, and I'll be towing a trailer on a 1500 mile trip in about a month, so I figure I'll change the oil right before the trip, and then again when the odometer gets closer to 5000 miles.

Good luck!

I like to change new car oil between 1k and 2k just for my sanity and "belief" that it is important to get all the break in material out. Belief because there is no definitive answer on either end of the argument.

I do the first change at 1/2 the severe recommended mileage which is approx. 2,500 miles. I see no value in tossing good factory oil out before the additives are finished doing the break-in. My vehicles have an oil FILTER for engine protection. Ed

Got a 2022 Ford Escape SE FWD 1.5L Eco-Boost a few weeks ago. Fifty years ago most people did a first oil change in 100-500 miles to get any "break-in" metal particles out. Yes, we've come a LONG way since then. But does very small engine size make any difference? Having a turbo make any difference? Any other factors that make any difference? Should I just change it in 1 year (I'll never drive enough miles to run the change indicator down, probably looking at 60% oil life remaining at 1 year)? And before scolding, I tried a search but it didn't return anything. Any and all constructive input greatly appreciated.

i have a 2022 ford ranger with the 2.3 ecoboost. i changed my oil right at 1100 miles. changed again at 3000 & then ill change every may & november regardless of miles. i do a lot of stop & go, short trip, city driving. though my miles are low, between 5-7k per year, the manual suggests that is severe. changing oil on so few miles might be overkill for most but it certainly wont hurt the engine and it gives me peace of mind.

I changed my oil at 1500 miles and again at 4500. Currently at 13.5K and here is my UOA. I believe early changes can be beneficial, yet not required.

Attachments

• E2317C35-2705-4F92-A914-CD0CCD7039E6.jpeg
    E2317C35-2705-4F92-A914-CD0CCD7039E6.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 75
Unless the dealer's service department is incompetent, I would call the salesperson and have them ask one of the mechanics.

Oil quality has improved, so has engine manufacturing. So called "type 1" wear is that 'break in' wear you are referring to. New engines produce a lot less of it than the old days and oil filtration has improved a little too.

The used oil analysis (UOAs) show that there is still somewhat more wear particles in new engines. The filters only pass smaller particles these days (stuff roughly under 30 microns will keep circulating with an oem filter). There is a reasonable debate about whether this wear material 'matters.'

It is my understanding that engine failures are not often due to them mechanically wearing out. Mechanical catastrophe is either a major manufacturing/design defect, or cause by malfunctioning accessory system (oil/water pumps, bad pcv/maf/injectors/coils). Non defective crankshafts, main bearings, valve trains etc.. die when it has low oil, clogged jets/passages (sludge) or oil or cooling pump failures.

If it makes you feel better do the first oil change early. I believe that the only easy to control factors for you maintainng your engine are:

-using a quality motor oil and changing it on time.
The definition of that (IMHO) is 6 months/5k and full synthetic. Learn to change it yourself and save money, oil changes are getting pricey and the workmanship is getting scary. Best suggestion is find a friend who changes his oil and ask if he can come over and show you how.
-regularly checking the oil level and keeping it between the hash marks on the stick
-changing the spark plugs a bit early to try to prevent poor combustion
-using top tier gas as often as possible https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/
-maybe a fuel injector cleaner every 5k (in theory not needed if you use top tier gas). But my toyota A25A (direct injection) manual suggets a 5k injector cleaner, an expensive toyota bottle is suggested of course.

-Don't overlook emissions codes. Biggest mistake average motorist make thinking oh its just emissions. Yeah, and it could be the engine running really lean that will destroy your head gasket, or the egr/pcv stuck open etc and its gonna coke valves or your rings...

Last edited:
You'd be fine to just follow the manual, but I usually change at 1000 for that first change. Next change after 4000. Then change every 5000. I know that this is a little overkill, but helps me sleep a little better.

Back