First oil change at 10,000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2001, the Honda dealer refused to change my oil and filter at 5,000 miles. They said mother Honda was real strict on first oil change (7,500 miles).

My 2014 Toyota did not get its first oil change under 13000 miles.

Dealer failed to do the 10k service when I brought it in for 10k service.

0w20 Toyota Full Synthetic, I doubt it hurt anything but it would have been an interesting UOA.

I never asked my dealer. In fact, I never ask the dealer shop anything. Probably because unless I have a warranty issue come up, my vehicles never see a dealer again after I drive it away after the purchase. They offer the first few oil changes free, but It costs me more for the "free" oil change and if I do it myself. I don't want to drive 60 miles one way to get my oil changed, and have to take off from my business to do so. That is a real expensive oil change for "free". I decide when the first services are done and do them myself when it is convenient for me, and I can also make sure it is done right and not by the lowest "tech" on the totem pole at the dealer, whom I am not sure could hit all the grease fittings, or even know where to look for all of them.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
Think very carefully before taking the word of internet people who really don't know anymore about it than you do rather than the manufacturer recommendation.

Whoever follows my advice will have an engine that looks like new inside at 400,000 miles. They'll also be doing their own oil changes and they'll be spending a considerable amount of money on oil and filters.

While it will be argued both ways until the end of time with no proof for either side to absolutely refute which way is best, I always change the FF early in my new vehicles. Can I prove that it will extend engine life? No more than I can say someone leaving in for 10K reduces engine life.

Here are the first 4 UOAs of my 2014 Ford Explorer with the 3.5L TiVCT engine in it. The two wear metals that show to be very high in the first UOA are aluminum (pistons) and copper (bearings/bushings). The aluminum was 3x higher and copper was 4x higher in the first UOA versus the later ones. Does that matter? Well, since I am paying for all of it--yes, it matters to me. YMMV!

So much baloney. No one anywhere can show any real data that proves early changes do any good at all. Never have.

Just a ton of conjecture based on feelings about their vehicle.

We sold a truck last year with 500k miles on it. That's not a misprint. Half a million miles.

No smoke, no consumption, no drips, quiet as a mouse. The maintenance? Always done per the OLM with whatever was on sale...

Probably is baloney, But if the guy paying the bills doesn't mind, and it helps them to sleep more comfortably at night, I really don't care. If someone wanted to change their oil weekly, doesn't bother me. I wouldn't do it that often, but they feel good about it and don't seem to be yelling and screaming about the price of motor oil.

I believe that the 500K miles is not a misprint. I have taken a couple of motors well over 1 million miles myself and I have one now that just turned over 429,000. Runs great also. One of those over 1M trucks.... went to 1.4 million and the buyer put it right to work with no needed repairs.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Change it out at 1500 miles.
Many UOAs have shown high wear metals like iron in there on new engines with the Factory-Fill FF.
Your oil filter can take out particles down to about 30 microns, leaving a very fine iron powder circulating around. Since the engine is very new, it can tolerate it, but its not the best. An oil change to M1 Ext Performance EP oil or Castrol Edge Ext Perf oil (gold jug) at walmart.com is your best choice.
Also, Fram Ultras get the smallest particles out and are built well.

+1

Originally Posted By: tamedcowboy
I have about 700 miles on my 2015 Ford Focus SE with the 2.0L Ti-VCT I-4 Flex Fuel (not the EcoBoost). Should I do my first oil change when the oil life monitor tells me (which will probably be around 10,000 miles), or should my first oil change be sooner? I wasn't sure if the oil collects more particles during break in and would need a sooner first oil change.

My 2014 Mustang OLM finally triggered at 8300 miles. By then I had already changed the oil like 4 times. My Focus with a 2.0 GDI engine got swapped out early because every FF and early UOA I've ever done shows all kinds of higher levels of metals and junk in the oil. So I change it out between 500-1500 miles on all new cars.

Stupid OEMs can build a vehicle but cant be trusted to work out the maintenance requirements.

Might as well remove the oil filter as this thread is really questioning its filtration properties.

OEMs should listen to internet engineers.

This debate will continue forever. But I do give a lot of weight to Honda's firm recommendation that the factory fill be left in for the normal OCI. Honda's engines, factory fill or assembly lubes can't be that different from other manufacturers, so just maybe there is a good reason to not do an early change.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
My 2014 Toyota did not get its first oil change under 13000 miles.

Dealer failed to do the 10k service when I brought it in for 10k service.

0w20 Toyota Full Synthetic, I doubt it hurt anything but it would have been an interesting UOA.

Same here,

Scion gets Toyota 0w20 Synthetic.

I am sending it out today. Went roughly one full winter and summer of highway commute. Changed in the fall I believe.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Lots of iron will be in that UOA, its happened every time. Since the engine is new, you won't notice it much. Why purposely wear your engine down though? OLMs are good, but not for FF oil, change that stuff out.

I know it will but the engine was breaking in why wouldn't there? I am not wearing anything down. The way of thinking you need to dump the factory fill after 1500 miles is asinine. I've listened to the manual every time we got a new car and nothing ever occurred that could be traced back to keeping the FF in longer.

It has shown that changing the oil too early will increase wear because it doesn't give the additives time to do their job.

You can believe as you wish but it is not the way of things no matter how hard you preach it.

Originally Posted By: RGR
Originally Posted By: tamedcowboy
I have about 700 miles on my 2015 Ford Focus SE with the 2.0L Ti-VCT I-4 Flex Fuel (not the EcoBoost). Should I do my first oil change when the oil life monitor tells me (which will probably be around 10,000 miles), or should my first oil change be sooner? I wasn't sure if the oil collects more particles during break in and would need a sooner first oil change.

My 2014 Mustang OLM finally triggered at 8300 miles. By then I had already changed the oil like 4 times. My Focus with a 2.0 GDI engine got swapped out early because every FF and early UOA I've ever done shows all kinds of higher levels of metals and junk in the oil. So I change it out between 500-1500 miles on all new cars.

It suppose to be there! Just wasting your money and time possibly even harming the engine too.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Probably is baloney, But if the guy paying the bills doesn't mind, and it helps them to sleep more comfortably at night, I really don't care. If someone wanted to change their oil weekly, doesn't bother me. I wouldn't do it that often, but they feel good about it and don't seem to be yelling and screaming about the price of motor oil.

I believe that the 500K miles is not a misprint. I have taken a couple of motors well over 1 million miles myself and I have one now that just turned over 429,000. Runs great also. One of those over 1M trucks.... went to 1.4 million and the buyer put it right to work with no needed repairs.

Indeed. Please note I am not telling anyone what to do, just pointing out the lack of any evidence to support early changes as far as engine life goes. The short changers can spend their money any way they want.

And the truck I spoke of was driven from Florida to Michigan and immediately put to work with zero repairs. The new owner is a helicopter mechanic so he knows his stuff. He was very surprised at the condition of the vehicle...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
No one anywhere can show any real data that proves early changes do any good at all. Never have.

That's exactly right. There is no objective evidence to prove that changing your FF early will noticeably extend the engine's life. And there is also no objective evidence to prove that keeping your FF longer will noticeably reduce the engine's life.

Until there is such evidence, this subject will never be put to rest because BITOG is not short of opinions.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Until there is such evidence, this subject will never be put to rest because BITOG is not short of opinions.
This! We can close the thread now.

I changed the FF on my 14 Mustang GT when the car was a year old from when it was built, not when I bought it, as it had sat on the lot for six months. I had 4,600 miles on the car when I changed the oil.

The second oil change was done a year later when the OLM said 2% oil life left and the dash display said "change oil soon" I had 6,600 miles on that oil fill.

With an 8 quart sump, I have no problem going by the OLM, even though this is a performance car. Next month I will have had the car two years with 13,000 miles on it and the car runs quiet, the oil stays clean on the dipstick, and looking down the oil fill hole, everything is spotless.

I just don't worry about this oil stuff anymore like I used to when I first joined this site many years ago.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
I just don't worry about this oil stuff anymore like I used to when I first joined this site many years ago.

Wayne

Add me to that list!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back