First half of Amsoil SS and Fram Ultra/MicroGreen particle count test complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had a couple minutes today, and dropped the Fram Ultra XG7317 that went on with Amsoil SS 10W30 7700 miles ago. I left the rest of the Amsoil in for now, installed my last remaining MicroGreen MG201-7, and topped it up. I'm doing this as a particle-count test more than anything to compare the FU and MG filters, which is now kind of a moot point since MG went belly-up, but I'm a sucker for a good test.

Anyways, 7700 miles, no top-up prior to the filter change, about 80% highway, and just turned over 158k today on the way home. Particle count should be fairly good since it was a FU. MicroGreen will stay on until the UOA results say it should; since winter is coming, if TBN is not above 3.0 or any other of the oil's "vital signs" are looking shaky, I will probably run the MG and Amsoil about another month and then drain it and send the final sample for another PC analysis. Just want to give the board another data point of FU vs. the "combo" MG filter for those who are lucky enough to have some on the shelf (like PBM, who cleared out my 3/4-16 MG filters
smile.gif
)

Which filter do you think will show better, and what are your predicted ISO codes for the two samples? Get in now to test your knowledge!

Should be a good test to get more PC data. It will be interesting to see if it repeats like the following Ultra and Microgreen PC data previously posted in the UOA forum. Micorgreens were better below around 10u but the Ultras were better above 10u.

[Linked Image]

How about a little summary of what the run scenarios are going to end up being on each filter you're testing.

While it would be nice to clean up the 4 micron counts, but it's very nice to see everything above 4 micro if nicely reduced with a readily available Fram Ultra. It would be nice to see you add a Mobil 1 filter to that ISO test.

Zee, so the Ultra was on for 7700 miles, EJ253 in 2007 Impreza. Probably 80-85% highway. MicroGreen will stay on for at least a month, maybe up to another 7500 miles depending on how the UOA on the Amsoil comes back. I should put at a bare minimum 800-1000 miles on it in a month or so which should give the MicroGreen a chance to clean up the oil.

TestOil will be doing the UOAs and particle counts.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
So I had a couple minutes today, and dropped the Fram Ultra XG7317 that went on with Amsoil SS 10W30 7700 miles ago. I left the rest of the Amsoil in for now, installed my last remaining MicroGreen MG201-7, and topped it up. I'm doing this as a particle-count test more than anything to compare the FU and MG filters, which is now kind of a moot point since MG went belly-up, but I'm a sucker for a good test.

Anyways, 7700 miles, no top-up prior to the filter change, about 80% highway, and just turned over 158k today on the way home. Particle count should be fairly good since it was a FU. MicroGreen will stay on until the UOA results say it should; since winter is coming, if TBN is not above 3.0 or any other of the oil's "vital signs" are looking shaky, I will probably run the MG and Amsoil about another month and then drain it and send the final sample for another PC analysis. Just want to give the board another data point of FU vs. the "combo" MG filter for those who are lucky enough to have some on the shelf (like PBM, who cleared out my 3/4-16 MG filters
smile.gif
)

Which filter do you think will show better, and what are your predicted ISO codes for the two samples? Get in now to test your knowledge!

I think the MG will do quite well, since the Ultra has already done the heavy lifting (cleaning), and all the MG has to do is clean up the little stuff (which doesn't do much damage anyway, talking sub-10 micron or so)!

Last edited:
Subie - what's your procedure for collecting the UOA samples? That's been a point of scrutiny on particle count tests that have been compared.

You'll be doing the same procedures on two different filters ran on the same engine and oil, which helps make your test a decent comparison. Hopefully you can run the Microgreen a decent amount of miles to let the oil contamination level re-balance out to what the MG filter will make it settle at.

Oh... that procedure... I used a dipstick tube sample for the Fram Ultra sample. I pulled the dipstick, laid out new sample tube and marked the flange area on the tube and cut a couple more inches for the sample pump, then stuck the sample tube in down til the mark was at the top edge of the dipstick hole. I got a really nice sample pump from TestOil along with a 100' roll of new 1/4" tube, so I should be able to do quite a few samples before needing additional. Will be same sample method just before I do the OCI.

bullwinkle- a good majority of all the papers written on engine wear actually state the exact opposite! It's the really small stuff that is able to keep circulating essentially forever that causes bearing wear and scuffing, etc. The big stuff usually won't fit in the really tight areas where oil flows; it's the small stuff that makes it through the filter over and over.

The finer the filtration you can stomach paying for, the less measurable wear your engine will show if all other things are the same.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Oh... that procedure... I used a dipstick tube sample for the Fram Ultra sample. I pulled the dipstick, laid out new sample tube and marked the flange area on the tube and cut a couple more inches for the sample pump, then stuck the sample tube in down til the mark was at the top edge of the dipstick hole. I got a really nice sample pump from TestOil along with a 100' roll of new 1/4" tube, so I should be able to do quite a few samples before needing additional. Will be same sample method just before I do the OCI.

So the oil only goes in to the tube and not into the suction device? Then the tube is discarded and a new piece of tube used one time for each sample?

Correct. It's not like an oil-change device. It takes new 1/4" poly tube for each sample. It's identical to this one, but was custom-stickered for TestOil. The poly tube sticks through the center of the tool, you twist the top so it seals around the poly, screw on the sample can, give one good tug and hold, and 10 seconds later the sample can is unscrewed and capped. Discard poly tube.

Sampling Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back