First day on the job

Status
Not open for further replies.
I start my new job today. I've been out of work for 1 month. I guess in this economy, things could have been a lot worse. I'm hoping that this new job will be a good fit for me, and I for it. In the year that I spent contracting with this same company, I found it to be a wonderful place to work. Who knows, maybe this job can be the one from which I retire. Wish me luck, BITOGers!
cool.gif

Congratulations. I've found in life that these "forced changes" have been or have led to some of the best changes I've ever made. If it hadn't been for the "boot", I'd not have improved my life. In my own experience, I have observed that whenlife gives me a little shove, it has been in many ways that I had gotten a little "stuck".

Best of luck in this new chapter!

Last edited:
My first day was interesting. I spent most of it filling out information for my secret security clearance application (FUN!-not really) What a process! The only question they didn't ask was the size of.....nevermind. It's all good, though.

Tomorrow I get down to the business of doing some actual work, with some co-workers I already know. I'm looking forward to it.

Did you actually have ALL the info needed for the security clearance with you? I recommend you photocopy/print the paperwork and store it in a VERY secure place. 10 years from now you'll thank me.

I remember when I had to get a special pass so I could be on the ramp side of the Fedex terminal I was working at, at the airport and it was crazy... Finger prints, picture, RCMP check etc... Took 3 weeks before I got the OK!

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Did you actually have ALL the info needed for the security clearance with you?...

LOL.gif
That's a good one! No way did I have all that stuff. I had no idea how thorough the background check would be. I'm still gathering information for it all.

Quote:
I've found in life that these "forced changes" have been or have led to some of the best changes I've ever made. If it hadn't been for the "boot", I'd not have improved my life. In my own experience, I have observed that whenlife gives me a little shove, it has been in many ways that I had gotten a little "stuck".

Great advice from a wise owl.

The problem with many people today is that they become very complacent at a job they really don't like. Its only when they get laid off or downsized that they realize theres many opportunities out there.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Back in the eighties they would even go talk to old neighbors and stuff. Not anymore.

My FIL as a former HR guy at GE. He got his former associates to hire his youngest as a security guard at the (then) GE Space Center. Later, a tenant of ours, who had transferred up from some GE outfit in VA, applied to a job posting at the space center. Their security people interviewed my wife about her. When they found out that her younger brother was already employed there, they perked up and suggested "why don't you come work for us?" since they had already researched her brother ..and she would be easy to clear.

She said, "What? ..and have you guys crawling up my arse?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back