First day on the job

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE (for anyone that cares)

I made it through my first week on my new job. It is a very interesting position (3D CAD design for military weapons systems), and I think I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the job. One down side that I'm running into is that the (very nice and smart) engineer who has been doing my job, didn't really know mechanical design. So, I've found out in short order that I have a lot of clean up to do on drawings, just so the pieces can actually be manufactured properly. No biggie.

Honestly, I was surprised that they hired me. They wanted someone with a minimum of 2 years exp. working with SolidWorks 3D modeling software. I know Pro/E, but had very little knowledge of SolidWorks, and I was up front with them about that. I guess they felt that I would be a good fit, based on my personality and experience, and that I could learn SolidWorks on the job (which I've been doing). With help from a couple guys in the company, I can do pretty much everything I need to now in SolidWorks. One neat thing about my new job is that the other guy that is doing 3D CAD work on this project, is a guy that I worked with for years in 2 previous companies, and we get along great.

I'm still in the process of filling out paperwork (online) for my secret clearance application. The lady in my company who initiated the process made a mistake, so things got put on hold the first part of the week, then she had a death in her family on Tuesday; so it will be middle of next week until I can resume my clearance paperwork.

I'm thankful to be working again, in a job I truly enjoy. I realize how rare an opportunity like this job is, and I'm going to do everything I can to make sure I do it right. It's not often that you get your best job ever, during an economic recession like the one we're in.

Sounds great!

Remember, as you clean-up drawings, to take the high road and do it respectfully.

All the best!

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Back in the eighties they would even go talk to old neighbors and stuff. Not anymore.

Tell that to my old neighbors.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
The only question they didn't ask was the size of.....nevermind.
That is good because its non of their business your shoe size! (never could understand why they wanted that info for my clearance)
grin2.gif

It is a very interesting position (3D CAD design for military weapons systems)

just so the pieces can actually be manufactured properly. No biggie.

I like our weapons to be manufactured PROPERLY thank you!
thumbsup2.gif

I think that could be considered IMPORTANT...
27.gif

Good to see everything is doing well! 1 month out of work is not too long. Allows the mind to be cleared and know you are better off.

Enjoy the new job.
cheers3.gif

Bill

Quote:
I'm thankful to be working again, in a job I truly enjoy. I realize how rare an opportunity like this job is, and I'm going to do everything I can to make sure I do it right. It's not often that you get your best job ever, during an economic recession like the one we're in.

Looks like you found a home. It is a rare thing these days to actually look forward to going to work. It's way better than chasing a buck.

Now can you work up a phased plasma rifle in a 40 watt range?

... the (very nice and smart) engineer who has been doing my job, didn't really know mechanical design. So, I've found out in short order that I have a lot of clean up to do on drawings, just so the pieces can actually be manufactured properly. ... I ... had very little knowledge of SolidWorks, ... I guess they felt that I could learn SolidWorks on the job (which I've been doing).

Wayne

I did work like this in another career about 25 years ago, when CAD meant GE workstations with Tektronix storage CRT's for display. Once you grasp one system, they all do the same things, more or less.

HOWEVER, I also used to work in a training company and our unofficial motto was "if you think training's expensive, try ignorance".

Even if you spend some of your own money (I paid my own way through business school so I'd "own" my education) you should think about taking a course or two on the product you use. Then it'll be even more obvious to your boss how good you are!

I'm an Autocad guy but I've seen Solidworks and it is very powerful software. You will probably be quickly introduced by your boss to the concept of "value engineering".
grin2.gif

I used to do 3D for sheet metal assemblies so I understand a little of your job.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
...I used to do 3D for sheet metal assemblies so I understand a little of your job.

With Solidworks (and Pro/E), the software will figure out the flat pattern of a sheet metal model after you have modeled the finished product. When creating the 3D model of the sheet metal part, the software automatically puts the proper bend radii and reliefs in the proper places, based on the type of material you specify. Very cool! It makes life simpler for the designer and fabricator.

So now that you've used both Pro/E and Solidworks, what is your opinion of Solidworks? I've only used SW (and ACad) but I always hear how Pro/E is what "real engineers use".

Switching between SW and ACad is odd for me, the drawing process is almost 180* to each other; using construction lines and snaps vs relations. I now like SW better but some stuff is quicker in 2d.

solidworks is an up and comer...pro-e is great...but will it be around long? The best sheet metal solid modeling CAD is UGNX.
NX sheet metal features and the advanced sheet metal package.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
So now that you've used both Pro/E and Solidworks, what is your opinion of Solidworks? I've only used SW (and ACad) but I always hear how Pro/E is what "real engineers use"...

IMHO, SW is easier for a first-time 3D user. Pro/E seems more powerful, but also a lot more complicated to use(for me). That's my $.02. I like SW better between the two.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
So now that you've used both Pro/E and Solidworks, what is your opinion of Solidworks? I've only used SW (and ACad) but I always hear how Pro/E is what "real engineers use"...

IMHO, SW is easier for a first-time 3D user. Pro/E seems more powerful, but also a lot more complicated to use(for me). That's my $.02. I like SW better between the two.

many people seem stuck on pro E 2001 and never migrated well to wildfire.

With Solidworks (and Pro/E), the software will figure out the flat pattern of a sheet metal model after you have modeled the finished product. When creating the 3D model of the sheet metal part, the software automatically puts the proper bend radii and reliefs in the proper places, based on the type of material you specify. Very cool! It makes life simpler for the designer and fabricator.

I used to do that stuff by hand (and by phone with the fab shop foreman). Do you get different bend relief amounts based on the fab equipment, or are you designing for the same brakes and punches all the time?

The only question they didn't ask was the size of.....nevermind.

They say if you trim the shrubbery around the bottom of the pole, the pole looks taller.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back