Offered a job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pandus13
CONGRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATS!

Now, keep your head up, smile like you are Joker and learn as much as possible.

Start to fund:
-savings/rain day fund
-Roth
why:? time is one your side... rule of 72/compound interest

Also backup money allows you to go to work as a pleasure, not because you have to.

You will thank me in 40 years.

Oh, a big corporation is usually not that flexible in compensation.

I know 3 cases where the first job was the bridge to a much better/technically challenged/mind workout job after 3mts, 7 mts, 1 year...

Oh, and Congrats!

This x 100,000. Don't be that person who gets a starting career position outside of college, then goes out and buys a brand new car, goes out every weekend, buys a house on a 30-year mortgage with a payment that's 50% of their takehome pay, etc. while having 50k in student loans because you'll never get out of it. Pay off all debts, save an e-fund of 6-12 months of expenses, and put 15% away for retirement. Don't go into any debt, ever.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

3) Once you have valid work history, and know the difference between your butt and your elbow, you can start looking for a new job that pays more. Since you already have a job paying the bills, you can be more aggressive in your salary expectations and negotiations.
3a) The best way to increase your salary, is to get a new job. You can get stuck in a rut at your current employer, with smallish 3-5% annual raises.

Outstanding advice!

I agree. Some people at a company are ‘lifers’ ...... while others bounced around always looking for better career opportunities.

Either way, you’ll need continuing education in your career field to grow and make the money you want (deserve).

How I wish I was young again.......

First, yearly pay is NOT the only thing one should look at when comparing jobs. It is an entire package, consisting of:

1. Environment, is it a gloomy place with high stress and high turnover, or a company that offers education, advancement, and low turnover?
2. Insurance plan cost. One company may pay 100k but will cost 40k for insurance, while another pay 90k and maybe 20k for insurance.
3. 401k plan. Some offer no plan, some offer a plan but no match, some with a match. Big difference in getting a 3% match or 6-10% match as time goes on. Make sure you look.
4. Stock options. If one company is public, you will get the opportunity to buy at a 10-15% discount if enrolled in the stock plan.
5. Overall pay
6. Distance to drive/time in commute
7. Pension. If you can get a job with one, take it.

Good luck, start contributing to 401k immediately, day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back