Finally got the clutch changed on the M5......

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
And my wallet is ~$2600.00 lighter.

I'm going on a bit of a trip next week and didn't want to go without getting the clutch done.

Tried to get the car into Maranello's but the guy wouldn't get back to me and I was on a short timeline, so I ended up calling into Endras in Ajax (BMW Durham) where this really nice woman named Irene told me that they should be able to get it done this week (this was on Wednesday, today is a holiday, so very short notice!) but she wanted to confirm with her head mechanic that it was doable and that they had all the necessary parts in stock. I thought that was reasonable. She called me back an hour later and told me that they could do it, but asked if I could bring it in today (today being Wednesday). I said certainly, and took the car up immediately.

When there, I dealt with a service adviser who warned me that if the car needed a flywheel, it was an extra $2,800.00. I told him that I doubted the car would need a flywheel and that as soon as the slip was detected in the higher gears, I stopped romping on it in them. He said OK, and that they could machine the flywheel, but it would be $500-$1000.00 and there was no warranty on it. I asked if it mattered with respect to the machining that the flywheel was dual mass and he didn't really acknowledge what I said, but did make it a point to mention that there was no warranty on having it machined several times.

Having followed SEVERAL clutch replacement threads on M5board, usually the flywheel is perfectly serviceable and just gets cleaned up with a 3M disc. It is very rare that they need to be replaced.

So I get a call back yesterday morning telling me that they couldn't machine the flywheel because my car had a "dual mass" flywheel
smirk.gif
But, good news! The flywheel was in fantastic condition and they were just going to clean it up.

But the bad news was that my rear main seal was leaking (I knew this, as there had been some oil observed at the drain holes in the bellhousing the last time I had it on the hoist) but that this job was like $2000.00. I said "excuse me?" He then tells me that the job is "very involved". I replied "I'm aware that it is very involved, in that the whole powertrain assembly behind the engine needs to come off. But that is all off already because you are doing the clutch! The only thing you need to remove to get at it is the flywheel at this point." There's a pause then he replies "give me a second....". A few minutes later he comes back and says that because they are so close to it, that he can do $1030.00. I ask him if he'll do $900.00, he says "no".

But then he tells that they don't have the Rear Main Seal in stock. And that he needs to check to see if he can get the parts in. I told him that the car HAD to be done today (Thursday) as was indicated in the initial work order and if they couldn't do the RMS today, that they'd just have to put it back together with the new clutch. He said "OK". I said "to be clear, if you can get the RMS parts and get it done today, go ahead, if not, just put it back together with the new clutch". He says "OK, I will call you back."

He doesn't call me back.

Gets a bit later in the day, I call up, spoke to Irene again, she said she'd get him to call me. I end up e-mailing him and then calling him back again 3 hours later. Left him a voicemail, he calls me back and says that the car is back together and out for a road test. I said "wonderful!" then asked if the rear main had been done. He said that they were able to get the parts, and that it had been done. He had two mechanics on it to get it done today, but wasn't going to bill me extra for that because of what he had quoted me earlier. I thanked him for his efforts and he then told me that he'd call me back when the car was back and that I could then come up and get it.

He called me back about 30 minutes later saying it was good to go and I could come up and get it.

We went over the bill. They replaced a lot of parts. So in light of that, the price really wasn't that bad.

Got in the car and almost put the clutch pedal through the firewall. The clutch has felt, since the day I bought the car, just a bit lighter than the Centerforce Dual-friction I had in my 5.0L. Now it feels like the one in my buddy's focus. Engagement is much quicker, greatly reduced pedal effort, and the vibration I had (which I had assumed was the clutch or guibo) is now gone. Car drives like it is brand-new
thumbsup2.gif
Very happy with that!

They replaced ALL of the exhaust hardware.

Here's the list of the parts:

1. Clutch set
2. Fillister head screws x6
3. hex bolts x4
4. gasket ring x2
5. Grease
6. Rear main seal covers
7. Rear main seal
8. Sealing compound
9. All new hardware x15

Total parts were $992.49, the rest was labour. Their hourly rate is $123.30.

I paid list for a lot of the parts (most). And given the short turnaround on the job that I demanded, I think that is somewhat expected.

BTW, some of the parts:

RMS "Covers"
11141436109_9.png

Clutch
21217515146_37.png

Clutch-plate bolts:
07119906045_9.png

Catalytic converter to header bolts:
11621716352_9.png

Header gaskets:
18301728734_131.png

This is the first real repair I've had to do on the car since I bought it, and one I had been putting off for an extended period of time. I am surprised that RMS gave out so early in the car's life though (mileage-wise). I replaced the one in my Mustang when I put in the Centerforce, but that was at like 260,000Km. And the seal cost $10.00 and I changed it on my back in the driveway.

See this is why I don't understand why some people think manuals are more reliable and cheaper to fix than an automatic. Manuals often need a clutch work and that's not cheap especially on FWD cars. The gearbox internally can wear out/fail too. I remember on an '86 RX7 you couldn't buy a new transmission. You had to buy all the parts, $3k retail back then and that did not include the clutch parts or any labor.Automatics could usually be rebuilt for a couple hundred dollars in parts but there was some labor involved. I've had plenty of automatics go 150K+ miles with just one fluid change.

Originally Posted By: Turk
M5 pics please??
grin.gif

I've only got this one from the job:

onthehoist01.jpg

This was taken by another mechanic at the shop, he's friends with a girl I know who gets her car serviced there. When I told her my car was up there, she told him, and he snapped this pic and sent it back to her. She sent it to me.

They washed the car when they were done and it looked beautiful. However, a couple of birds have dropped some lovely droppings on it as of this AM
frown.gif

Oh the joy of BMW ownership. $2800 for a flywheel?
I just bought a new high-performance billet steel flywheel for my Camaro. $268. The clutch and pressure plate cost another $300.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Oh the joy of BMW ownership. $2800 for a flywheel?
I just bought a new high-performance billet steel flywheel for my Camaro. $268. The clutch and pressure plate cost another $300.

Yup, absolutely nuts eh?

An aluminum flywheel for the venerable old 5.0L is less than 400 bucks:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/fidanza-billet-aluminum-flywheel-50l.html

Though I will add that searching for it on the Internet shows that it is available for around $1000.00 bucks. RealOEM has it for ~$1,800.00. So that's just "getting boned by the dealership" price.

$720.99 USD for a 2001 M5 Sachs flywheel at RockAuto.com

Glad to hear you got what work you needed done in a timely manner. Most times that can be a real challenge!

Originally Posted By: BrewCityR
$720.99 USD for a 2001 M5 Sachs flywheel at RockAuto.com

Glad to hear you got what work you needed done in a timely manner. Most times that can be a real challenge!

Yeah, I've found a few OEM examples already for well under $1,000 at this point. That was certainly "get raped by the dealership" price.

I'm glad I was able to get it done too
smile.gif

On my 2000 gt I bought an alum 8 bolt flywheel for 300,a centerforce df for 250,a ford tob for 60 and a new pilot bearing for 20 bucks.
And the entire weekend on my back to install it all.
The lighter flywheel took some getting used to. I had to throttle it a bit more to hold rpms but the entire feel of driving felt lighter. Spun up faster too.
A BMW is a beautiful machine but they aren't cheap to buy nor maintain. I wish I could afford one,and afford to pay someone else to fix it too.
Safe travels this weekend overkill.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Ouch. That would have been my winter garage project while it was off the road.

It wasn't off the road, that was the problem. With the transmission problems sidelining the 328i, I had to drive the M5 all winter
frown.gif

Ouch, glad it is working well now. And I thought mine was expensive for the 2001 Ranger pickup ($635 for clutch, pp, pilot, release, slave and master).

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I am surprised that RMS gave out so early in the car's life though (mileage-wise).

How many miles on your M5? The RMS on my 530i has been seeping since I hit about 60K miles. Indy shop wanted $1K to replace it. I haven't gotten around to getting it done yet.

looking at the pix for the RMS, it does not look too complicated, unless the oil pan needed to come out. how much labor did they charge you for the RMS??

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
See this is why I don't understand why some people think manuals are more reliable and cheaper to fix than an automatic. Manuals often need a clutch work and that's not cheap especially on FWD cars. The gearbox internally can wear out/fail too. I remember on an '86 RX7 you couldn't buy a new transmission. You had to buy all the parts, $3k retail back then and that did not include the clutch parts or any labor.Automatics could usually be rebuilt for a couple hundred dollars in parts but there was some labor involved. I've had plenty of automatics go 150K+ miles with just one fluid change.

I think it was $1200 to do the clutch on my VW. I think it was 100-200 bucks more for the better flywheel and clutch; to be honest, the plate was in excellent condition when it came out. It was the flywheel that had gone bad. I was a bit miffed at doing it at 249kmiles, but, I knew it wasn't a great clutch going in. Should be set for another 250k, and I only need to change the oil every 100k, regardless of how hard it is driven.

YMMV. Some autos last forever, some die early even with routine fluid changes.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I am surprised that RMS gave out so early in the car's life though (mileage-wise).

How many miles on your M5? The RMS on my 530i has been seeping since I hit about 60K miles. Indy shop wanted $1K to replace it. I haven't gotten around to getting it done yet.

165,000Km now.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
looking at the pix for the RMS, it does not look too complicated, unless the oil pan needed to come out. how much labor did they charge you for the RMS??

7.1 hours.......
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back