Final Charge Pro coolant

PDS: https://asset.productmarketingcloud.com/api/assetstorage/2482_de79dd80-b5d8-42c2-aaa6-7d00f46acddd

Assuming you perform a full flush, is there any reason why HD coolant cannot be used in light-duty passenger cars? Are there any material compatibility issues to be concerned with?

Based on the advertisements, it seems like the HD coolants may be a superior choice than most passenger car coolants, but it could just be marketing.

Last edited:
The Asian manufactures typically spec nitrite, 2-EHA, amine, silicate, and borate free formulation.
The bolded later 3 are not mentioned in that spec sheet so i would assume it has 1 or more of them.
Not sure what compatibility issues that brings with it, maybe someone else can comment.

The Asian manufactures typically spec nitrite, 2-EHA, amine, silicate, and borate free formulation.
The bolded later 3 are not mentioned in that spec sheet so i would assume it has 1 or more of them.
Not sure what compatibility issues that brings with it, maybe someone else can comment.
Amines create a carcinogen. I don't think it was harmful for the engine but you just didn't want it around.

Silicates can cause more corrosion in aluminum. Not sure why or how, but thats what I read. Also its an abrasive.

Don't really know about borate.

Silicates can cause more corrosion in aluminum. Not sure why or how, but thats what I read. Also its an abrasive.

In the early 80s, GM introduced a spec for coolant with more silicates for better protection of aluminum. A search of Google patents (since spec sheets for coolants available in the 80s are pretty much impossible to find these days) suggests that some of these coolants had as much as 750PPM of silicates. The limit for coolants used in heavy-duty applications is 250PPM.

Have been using the regular final charge in all of my vehicles for the last 7 or 8 years without issue. Nice to have one coolant that works for everything I own.

I use ELC coolant in multiple gas vehicles and other gasoline powered pieces of equipment. My employer uses Final Charge Global in every liquid cooled piece of equipment. The Tercel in my sig has used Rotella ELC that I bought on sale since 2014. Compatibility issues? I don't know but I haven't had any failures. My F250 is getting Deere Coolgard as soon as it's warm enough to do a distilled water flush without fear of freezing.

I used to be under that impression, but I don't believe that's true. Silicates are not particularly abrasive, and they are in fact a corrosion inhibitor that protects aluminum by physically coating surfaces, which is useful up to a point where it gets bad. I think the thing is that it sounds like "silica" (sand) and there was the impression that it was abrasive. Silicates are also referred to as "water glass". I understand that borates can be abrasive.

The biggest problem with silicates are that they drop out of solution and can plug up passages. Typical Asian make cars have radiators with smaller passages. Something like old fashioned Prestone (which isn't made any more) might have a shelf life of 1-2 years because the silicates would drop out. They have to be drained (and possibly flushed) every 1-2 years. Here's a photo from a radiator shop showing silicates that dropped out. It's got that optic green color found in many coolant dyes.

silicate20.jpg

There was more than that in the lower radiator tank when I bought it-it looked like a green sandbox! Nothing a good boil-out & patch job didn’t fix, though. Coolant filters do take it right out!

My take is...

Long Life coolant for trucks w/EGR Cooler use HD Coolant without Nitrites "Nitrite Free"
Long Life coolant for cars/trucks w/o EGR Cooler can use HD Coolant with Nitrite's

PDS: https://asset.productmarketingcloud.com/api/assetstorage/2482_de79dd80-b5d8-42c2-aaa6-7d00f46acddd

Assuming you perform a full flush, is there any reason why HD coolant cannot be used in light-duty passenger cars? Are there any material compatibility issues to be concerned with?

Based on the advertisements, it seems like the HD coolants may be a superior choice than most passenger car coolants, but it could just be marketing.
I used this in my 6.9L diesel, and it ate my heater core constantly. OEM and Aftermarket cores. Neither would last.

I made a panic switch back to old skool green with SCA;s from my local truck stop added to it to prevent cylinder cavitation. That stopped the heater core failures.

I cannot explain anything further. I only used that purple stuff from old world as it already had the additive for the cavitation protection.

I used this in my 6.9L diesel, and it ate my heater core constantly. OEM and Aftermarket cores. Neither would last.

Are you sure you were using Final Charge Pro-Series?

It's only been out for a few months now, according to the press release linked above, dated Nov 2022 and which says "Old World Industries, the manufacturer of FINAL CHARGE® Heavy Duty Antifreeze/Coolant, has announced the launch of new FINAL CHARGE® PRO-SERIES"

Forddiesel, what was the heater core material and welding/brazing method, as compared to the radiator?
What was the change interval on the coolant that ate heater cores? And, was it the OAT, NOAT, POAT, or

Critic, I don't see why it couldn't be used in a passenger vehicle. But, one needs to make sure they have an acceptable change interval and not what the automaker or bottle labels says.

Since this is OAT, I wonder if this would work in those Dodge vehicles with their orangishpurplish OAT coolant. Might be a shoe in.

Note that the bottles are similar and easily confused... they have a POAT and NOAT version of the above too:

And the phosphate free low silicate:

Back