Final Charge Pro coolant

I used to be under that impression, but I don't believe that's true. Silicates are not particularly abrasive, and they are in fact a corrosion inhibitor that protects aluminum by physically coating surfaces, which is useful up to a point where it gets bad.

Here's what GM said in a TSB:

1988 - 1991 Corvette: Service Bulletin: Coolant Usage Recommendation Service Information​

Subject: COOLANT USAGE RECOMMENDATION SERVICE INFORMATION
Model and Year:ALL 1988-91 PASSENGER CARS AND TRUCKS
Source: Chevrolet Service Bulletin
Bulletin Number: 91-62-6B - (08/21/1990)

TO: ALL CHEVROLET DEALERS

THIS INFORMATION SUPERSEDES INFORMATION PROVIDED BY GMSPO IN PARTS AND ACCESSORIES BULLETINS 1B NO. 90-55 AND 90-60 AND INFORMATION PROVIDED IN VARIOUS TRUCK SERVICE AND OWNERS MANUALS AND SHOULD BE USED TO DETERMINE CORRECT COOLANT USAGE IN LIGHT AND MEDIUM DUTY TRUCK APPLICATIONS.

GM coolant specification 6038-M or 1899-M (P/N 1052103) is for use in all light duty trucks with gasoline or diesel engines. This coolant features a low silicate formulation and is intended only for use in engines that have cylinder heads and cylinder blocks made of cast iron.

GM coolant specification 1825-M or 6043-M (P/N 1052753) which until recently has been the recommended coolant for light duty trucks has been superseded by GM coolant 6038-M or 1899-M (P/N 1052103) in cast iron truck engines. GM coolant specification 1825-M has a higher silicate formulation which is recommended for all passenger car engines with cylinder heads or cylinder blocks made of aluminum.

What was true 32 years ago isn't now---there are many coolants that meet 1825M that have low (250ppm) or no silicates.

As I mentioned previously, a formulation in the 1980s that meets 1825M (which came out in the early 80s) might have as much as 750PPM, from what I gleaned looking at patents filed at that time.

Also note that in 1990 when that TSB came out, aluminum radiators and heater cores were not common. Most vehicles had copper/brass/solder radiators and heater cores.

Are you sure you were using Final Charge Pro-Series?

It's only been out for a few months now, according to the press release linked above, dated Nov 2022 and which says "Old World Industries, the manufacturer of FINAL CHARGE® Heavy Duty Antifreeze/Coolant, has announced the launch of new FINAL CHARGE® PRO-SERIES"
He probably means the non-Pro Series Final Charge Global, which is probably the same thing minus the phosphates.

Check this out:

Notice which coolant he uses? I'm intrigued by this considering I have several vehicles in my family that are 15+ years old and using the cheapest Dexclone available, none have ever had a heater core failure.

You guys know way more about coolant than I ever will, but since I work on a fleet / government, you get a certain level of support from every level of the operation, if you know what I mean.

Everyone in our shop is convinced there is only green or red coolant, nothing else, nothing in between, etc.

We have final charge HD that is red. It used to be just for our big trucks, but we’ve been using it in our promasters and metris. So far no issues have been arising.

We get it in 55 gallon drums, premixed…but when we’ve run out before, I have taken the time to check it with a hydrometer and been able to dilute it a lot more.

Full drain, light flush, fill with final charge (or final charge pro.)

It’s what I’m using in my F150 Raptor. And what I use across my entire fleet.

I’m also biased. As one of the largest distributors of Final Charge. So, keep note of that.

Modern ELC POAT/OAT technology > HOAT/NOAT/IAT.

I’m debating that for my next Toyota spill & fill. It’s close to pink SLLC, no 2-EHA.

Prestone makes an “commercial” HD Cor-Guard under the Command brand. It’s Cummins and Daimler/Detroit Diesel approved but it’s a unicorn coolant. I’d use that in a heartbeat over 2-EHA automotive Cor-Guard for Toyotas.

Not sure if this is relevant to light-duty applications, but Final Charge Pro received OEM approvals for some HD applications:

So there’s three reasons for this:

1. OWI marketers like myself, have no interest in carrying two, if not more, premium ELC’s. It’s a tankage issue, it’s honestly also simply a cost issue.

- I already carry 8 different bulk antifreezes.

A 9th wouldn’t break the back, but it’s just a pain in the butt. More compartments tied up. More equipment tied up. Another $100,000+ in inventory. Etc.

If it’s not a full replacement, then why bother carrying it?

2. Being competitive for fleet bids / national accounts. Without the approvals, a lot of fleets won’t give you the time of day. Everything is under warranty.

3. OEM/Factory fill. OWI does very well in the factory fill market. Without the approvals, it’s… not happening.

It’s good to see them get approvals. I’ll probably switch my final charge over to pro series this summer. We just have some OEM/Factory fill hurdles that take a lot of time to convert.

I used this in my 6.9L diesel, and it ate my heater core constantly. OEM and Aftermarket cores. Neither would last.

I made a panic switch back to old skool green with SCA;s from my local truck stop added to it to prevent cylinder cavitation. That stopped the heater core failures.

I cannot explain anything further. I only used that purple stuff from old world as it already had the additive for the cavitation protection.
There was a bulletin somewhere that OAT coolants damaged front cover gaskets on 6.9/7.3 IDI International & Ford diesels, that’s why I’ve always used low silicate Zerex IAT, coolant filters, & SCAs (DCA-2/Napakool) on mine. Got enough holes in the body, don’t need any in the engine…

Anyone used this stuff in a Volt? Often poeople who used anything other than GM Dex-Cool had battery isolation fault codes...

I used to be under that impression, but I don't believe that's true. Silicates are not particularly abrasive, and they are in fact a corrosion inhibitor that protects aluminum by physically coating surfaces, which is useful up to a point where it gets bad. I think the thing is that it sounds like "silica" (sand) and there was the impression that it was abrasive. Silicates are also referred to as "water glass". I understand that borates can be abrasive.
Don't tell anyone that pennzoil uses a "parrafinic" base! :sneaky:

Back