Filters cut open, John Deere (damaged!),

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, cut open a John Deere filter again, off my 110TLB (same filter used on most of the Yanmar engines (like my 110, 4600 and 997) Anyway, I opened on in the spring off my 997 mower and the several of the pleats were tore at the glue. Now I open one off my 110 and its the same deal! Now i'm a little concerned. Reading through Deere's filter propaganda, comparing theirs to others... maybe they should practice what they preach.

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

Luberfiner fuel filter off CAT C7
IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

CAT oil filter
IMG_0058.jpg

Who makes these filters? Arent the JD filters made by Honneywell?

Any idea as to why these filters failed?

Last edited:
Just the JD filter is failed. Its the second one on different equipment. No idea why its failed, the pleats arnt spaced all around very well either as noticed in the photo

I'm going to open up a fresh one tommorow and see what the deal is, I think i'll get some Donaldson brand ones instead. I can deal with having one bad filter, but now two, i dont think so.

Champ usually has a letter stamped on the base plate. I think many of the the ones I have used had a ''Y'' stamped on them perhaps indicating a 20 mm 1.5 thread on a 3 1/2'' plate.

I think I have seen made by Frams with metal end caps.

Send then a email once you know for sure who crafted them, with the photos, ask them whats up. Could be a bad batch of filters. Could be a FRAM, can you take a picture of the face plate a bit closer?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: defektes
Send then a email once you know for sure who crafted them, with the photos, ask them whats up. Could be a bad batch of filters. Could be a FRAM, can you take a picture of the face plate a bit closer?

I Will tommorow. I belive it had a Y stampted on it

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

The CAT filter looks amazing

there a bear to cut open too even with a filter cutter.

Nate- I cut one of those open last year. Mine was OK but I'll be watching this thread to see what you come up with. I have one fresh one stashed!

Originally Posted By: RWEST
I like the WIX 51064's and 51334's for my J-D stuff.
thumbsup2.gif

Ok thanks for the part numbers. I just ordered some Donaldson replacements (P550162) and are amazingly half the price of the JD filter!

Also for anyone with a Duramax, Donaldson has a new Hi-Perf. fuel filter p# p550833 $48.57 CDN at Toromont

The jd / Fram filters for my applications run about 7 bucks. We have used Napa Pro selects @ 2.50 each for years in my lawn service with zero problems. Mobil Delvac 15w40 at 100 hrs per change on three mowers with 3500 combined hrs.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
That JD looks just like a ChampLab 3593 filter.
+1 The leaf spring has the distinct four point design of a Champ Labs traditional filter (non ecore).

Interesting, try a different brand.

That is a non-ecore champion. I would send those photos to them. I have emailed champ many times and always received a quic response within a 24hour period.

Originally Posted By: defektes
That is a non-ecore champion. I would send those photos to them. I have emailed champ many times and always received a quic response within a 24hour period.

Who should I email? A customer service rep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back