filter recommendation plz!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok out of these 3 which one would you go with and why mobil 1, wix, purolator pureone. It will be for a 5k oci on havoline synthetic in a 2003 mustang w/ the 3.8 v6.
patriot.gif

With a shorter OCI like that, you'd be better off with the Purolator or the Wix, just get whichever one is cheaper, you can't go wrong with either of those. The Mobil 1 is too overpriced for what it is, imo, especially with a shorter interval like that.

how is the filtration on the wix? is it as good as the pureone, im a newb to wix never heard of them til on here

I would not run Purolator on that unless it has the threaded end bypass valve (which I doubt it does). Wix is the way to go IMO. Mobil 1 would be overkill.

I assume yr spec'd for the MC FL-1A so I can't say. I did a survey on the MC FL-820S (posted here) and found you can't trust anything without visually verifying things. Brands will say this/that on website, don't trust it, look at your actual filter. What found for the FL-820S was not universal across the MC line. I can tell you a lot about the FL-820S but it may have little to do with the FL-1A.

Also watch for OLD information. I laugh inside when I see an "expert" cite the minimopar study that dates back to 1996. Things change.

BTW, I'm using the MC filter for 5K runs with synth.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the Motorcraft filter, though I think the Wix is a bit better. Wife's Aerostar 3.0 pushrod V6 specs FL400S and I run the Fl1A size filter on it.

One thing about the PureOne is they tightly packed and increased the number of pleats to increase filtration, I'd question how this effects flow rate? I pick up Motocraft for my Grand Marquis at Walmart, would use SuperTech also but no reason to then Motocrafts are on the shelf. Never touch Fram.

can someone clear this up, i hear the Mc filter has the media of a purolator prem plus and the ADBV of the pure one, is this true?

As can be seen from the pictures in this thread Purolator made Motorcraft filters aren't necessarily the same as Premium Plus or Pure 1 in either filter media or bypass valve design/location. It's possible that some Motorcraft filters use the same bypass valve design or media as a Premium Plus or Pure 1, but it's certainly not true in every case and may not be true for any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back