Filter for my F150

I usually use Fram EG or TG filters on my 3.7 F150, but Im leery now due to them going back to nitrile ADBV’s, Wix is out of the question since theyre Mann/Puro made. Whats a good oil filter out there that wont break the bank? No Motorcraft either

The EG and TG filters have silicone ADBVs again (at least in all the stores around me). Or you can use the ST MP filter.

Fram only used nitrile adbv's temporarily on the 7317 line due to supply constraints. there is no evidence of them using nitrile adbv's on other lines

IDK how to answer since you don't provide your expected OCI. If under 5k OCI the door is wide open. Lots of good choices. I myself continue to use Fram for my kids RAV4 (5k OCI) and Ultra for my 17 Subaru (8k OCI) and 15 F150 (7k OCI).

1) there's nothing "wrong" with nitrile ADBVs
2) it's liketly that in LA, you're not really in "need" of silicone due to ambient temps; the nitrile will be plenty flexible in winter down there where you're at
3) any filter than has a nitrile ADBV, is going to be OK for the manufacture's stated FCI of that product
4) the Cyclone engine you have is a very clean running engine series and produces a fairly light soot load relative to the OCI duration; insolubles typically are not a big problem with these engines.

Sure - I like the silicone ADBVs and was very happy to see that the EGs had them to get that 10k mile rating. I typically use EGs or TGs. But honestly, I've used Puro filters in the past out to 10k with no issues (this was several years ago).

2) it's liketly that in LA, you're not really in "need" of silicone due to ambient temps; the nitrile will be plenty flexible in winter down there where you're at
What about temps where I live, it can get down to -30 for few days a year and plenty of days well under 0.

Silicone ABDVs are also used to prevent the ADBV from getting hard and stiff from heat if people use the filter for a long OCI. We have seen some reported stiff nitrile ADBVs in some of the C&Ps done here by members.

What about temps where I live, it can get down to -30 for few days a year and plenty of days well under 0.

ZeeOsix said:
Silicone ABDVs are also used to prevent the ADBV from getting hard and stiff from heat if people use the filter for a long OCI. We have seen some reported stiff nitrile ADBVs in some of the C&Ps done here by members.

Both valid points. Both have nothing to do with this thread, which is why I said what I said.
He's in Louisiana and has not mentioned a single thing about long O/FCIs.
It's a fair presumption to say that cold temps and duration of use are not in play here, so nitrile would be more than adequate.

I plan on going 7k miles on the M1 HM 10W30 curently in the pan along with the Fram EG10575. Ill send a UOA to Blackstone but 7k is as far as Ill go. So would this warrant a silicone ADBV? Coldest it gets here is 32 on occasion with every now and then in the upper 20s. Usually in the 40s at the coldest.

Fram only used nitrile adbv's temporarily on the 7317 line due to supply constraints. there is no evidence of them using nitrile adbv's on other lines
I stand corrected on this. Looked at some filters last night and saw nitrile adbv's on the extra guards of the 3600 and 10060 lines. I did not look at others.

I plan on going 7k miles on the M1 HM 10W30 curently in the pan along with the Fram EG10575. Ill send a UOA to Blackstone but 7k is as far as Ill go. So would this warrant a silicone ADBV? Coldest it gets here is 32 on occasion with every now and then in the upper 20s. Usually in the 40s at the coldest.
7k miles is fine for nitrile, and those temps are easily covered by nitrile.

Silicone ADBVs weren't a big thing until about a decade ago. Now everyone wants it, because it's the "best". Yet for decades, nitrile did a perfectly fine job. I certainly agree that silicone does things better, but if you're not in a situation that requires "better", then you don't need "better".

Use the EG; it's gonna be fine for your situation.

Fram ultra guard would be a good filter to use. What's wrong with the Wix XP and Motorcraft filters?
Wix XP are not very efficient at 20u… it’s a very well made filter but the media just isn’t at the same level as some of the finer filtering ones like Fram Ultra Guards. Wix XP are marketed more for “racing” style which favors heavy duty construction over long term, very fine filtration IMO.

Both valid points. Both have nothing to do with this thread, which is why I said what I said.
It was a general comment since ADBV material was brought up. OP is in a pretty hot climate, so if oil temps get pretty hot for an extended time a nitrile ADBV may see the ramifications.

I plan on going 7k miles on the M1 HM 10W30 curently in the pan along with the Fram EG10575.
EGs went from a use rating of 5K miles to 10K miles when the ADBV was changed from nitrile to silicone - for the better tolerance to extended heat.

Getting a silicone ADBV in an EG is a hit or miss these days as mentioned, so just look at the ABDV through the base plate and see if it's black (nitrile) or silicone (orange).

Silicone ADBVs weren't a big thing until about a decade ago. Now everyone wants it, because it's the "best".
Typically, silicone ADBV started showing up more and more as the mileage use rating increased on oil filters.

Just get a fram ultra. Few bucks more but you can almost always double your interval without any issue so you do get your moneys worth. Guaranteed silicone and although there is concern from some waviness in the pleats in cut and posts it's of no real issue.

Back