Filter for long time/low mileage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm mainly concerned with media durability for a filter to go 3 years but low mileage of less than 1500 miles total. Preferably one available at local retail stores (Walmart, NAPA, AZ, Advance). For a small block Chevy. I'm thinking of NAPA Gold, one of the better Frams, Baldwin etc?
21.gif

I'd be using something with wire-backed media... to be sure it doesn't go anywhere.

Purolator Synthetic, Wix XP, Fram Ultra...

+1 on the silicon adbv. I have seen crusty nitrile come out, with not very many miles on it

Most information I've read is you should change your oil at least once a year regardless of mileage. The reason cited is that it will start to oxidize. I'd probably find a good conventional oil, decent filter, and change both annually. Good luck.

I've read this advice on other websites too.

Quote:
Low Mileage Vehicles
If you don't put a lot of miles on your car you need to go by time rather than miles for oil changes. Blowby gasses in the crankcase condense to form all kinds of nasty acids that can literally eat up your engine. On a car that is driven every day these condensates get "boiled off" by engine heat, but on a car that only takes short infrequent "trips to the store" these condensates can build up in the engine. So if you have a "granny car" that only drives a few hundred miles per year you should change the oil every 6 months to a year regardless of mileage.

http://www.econofix.com/oilchg.html

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
I've read this advice on other websites too.

Quote:
Low Mileage Vehicles
If you don't put a lot of miles on your car you need to go by time rather than miles for oil changes. Blowby gasses in the crankcase condense to form all kinds of nasty acids that can literally eat up your engine. On a car that is driven every day these condensates get "boiled off" by engine heat, but on a car that only takes short infrequent "trips to the store" these condensates can build up in the engine. So if you have a "granny car" that only drives a few hundred miles per year you should change the oil every 6 months to a year regardless of mileage.

http://www.econofix.com/oilchg.html

It helps out if you always get the oil to full operating temperature for a long duration before letting it sit for extended periods of time. When I store my car for the winter, I never park it for long unless the car has been driven or ran a long time so the engine can burn off and remove any blow-by and moisture.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
And get one with a silicone ADBV for sure.
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Fram Ultra should definitely last that long.

+1 on the above.

The Fram Ultra is overkill for only 1500 miles and it has a a silicone ADBV, but because of the wire backing, it should easily hold up for that amount of time.

Use a full synthetic such as Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum.

I would suggest that at the end of each year, take a good highway drive of 25 to 35 miles to get the oil to full operating tempreture, and then put the vehicle away for the season. This way the oil should be good for the next year.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Fram Ultra should definitely last that long.

+1 on the above.

The Fram Ultra is overkill for only 1500 miles and it has a a silicone ADBV, but because of the wire backing, it should easily hold up for that amount of time.

Use a full synthetic such as Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum.

I would suggest that at the end of each year, take a good highway drive of 25 to 35 miles to get the oil to full operating tempreture, and then put the vehicle away for the season. This way the oil should be good for the next year.

Great advice above. Fram Ultra is never "overkill" though. It filters better from the time its new, which is a higher performance level from the start. Also, since the Ultra doesn't have cellulose fibers, maybe the glass fibers it has can stand a years-long soak better.

I'm using tough guards for 20000 miles on my known clean engines. When dissected I find no tears,defects,nor any problem whatsoever.

I would support those choices, but one might expect a synthetic media (like the Fram Ultra) to be a little more durable over this time period. That might be true, but that doesn't make a synthetic media essential or preclude the other choices.

Seems that ADBV isn't used on any Fram for a small block Chevy. They dont even list an Ultra for that engine.
I'm thinking maybe the Toughguard. Per their description
Quote:

A high level of Synthetic fiber in the media provides 6X MORE engine protection than the average of leading economy oil filters.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro

Seems that ADBV isn't used on any Fram for a small block Chevy.

The filter for a SMC should have the ADBV. They won't have the bypass valve in the filter because it's built into the block of the engine.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Seems that ADBV isn't used on any Fram for a small block Chevy.

Here's a bit of a history lesson. The ADBV was never specified by GM for those engines. We used Wix in the taxis for them, and they lacked them as well. I never knew what a nitrile ADBV was, much less a silicone one, until I got a Ford.
wink.gif

Any filter will do the job. I just changed a Purolator Classic which was installed back in 2011 and 3500 miles ago. Cut it open, no issues and NOT TORN.No need to worry.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Any filter will do the job. I just changed a Purolator Classic which was installed back in 2011 and 3500 miles ago. Cut it open, no issues and NOT TORN.No need to worry.

That settles it. One filter was not torn so they are all good now.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back