Long lasting filter (time not mileage)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been a few years since I have needed to buy a filter for a classic small block Chevy . Filter will be used for long time/not much mileage. Had been using Fram TG30 but cant find them locally.

Any suggestions?

Wix or Napa Gold would be my suggestion. I would just be sure to use a filter with a silicone valve (anti-drainback valve) and good solid construction. Even the orange cans have silicone valves now.

Originally Posted by Bamaro
Filter will be used for long time/not much mileage. Any suggestions?

I have some seldom used equipment that has oil filters FAR over 10 years old.

Time........ is really not a significant factor when making a filter decision.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Filter will be used for long time/not much mileage. Any suggestions?

I have some seldom used equipment that has oil filters FAR over 10 years old.

Time........ is really not a significant factor when making a filter decision.

I was concerned about the paper/cellulose media breaking down after a few years.
21.gif

For a long term (time) filter you want synthetic media, silicone drain valve and maybe a thick can if rust may be an issue. Purolator boss is supposed to be a thick can with a silicone valve and possibly synthetic media also. That would be my pick.

Do not know the brand, but had a friend that had one with a hole in the side with an inner tube and a hose clamp around it. That seems like a long time.

Originally Posted by meadows
Do not know the brand, but had a friend that had one with a hole in the side with an inner tube and a hose clamp around it. That seems like a long time.

Cringe ...
eek.gif

When Jim Allen went to visit the Fram test facility, he was told that 3 years for a cellulose filter was easy no-brainer time frame. 5 years was "iffy" for cellulose according to his account of their opinion.
I would think syn media could last far longer than that.

However, I've seen cellulose filters last far longer than 5 years and be OK. I'm not advocating for that, just telling you what I've seen. Specifically oil and fuel filters.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
When Jim Allen went to visit the Fram test facility, he was told that 3 years for a cellulose filter was easy no-brainer time frame. 5 years was "iffy" for cellulose according to his account of their opinion.

However, I've seen cellulose filters last far longer than 5 years and be OK. I'm not advocating for that, just telling you what I've seen. Specifically oil and fuel filters.

I realize what the OP asked, but
32.gif
I can't even comprehend leaving an oil filter on for longer than 12 months max, let alone 3-5 years, no matter what the filtration media was constructed from...

Originally Posted by Dad2leia

32.gif
I can't even comprehend leaving an oil filter on for longer than 12 months max, let alone 3-5 years, no matter what the filtration media was constructed from...

Depends on how many miles are put on the oil filters. Lots of guys (including myself) have vehicles that might only get 1000~1500 miles a year put on them. So they use a good full synthetic filter with a silicone ADBV and change the oil every year, but leave the filter on for 2 or 3 years. C&Ps of those filters show zero difference than if they were changed every year.

32.gif

Why?
confused2.gif

Should also mention. The filter mounts under the engine, upside down, so the type of anti-drainback valve is a moot point since I don't even need one.

Last edited:
Should also mention. The filter mounts under the engine, upside down, so the type of anti-drainback valve is a moot point since I don't even need one.

Oil in the galleries above the filter can still drain out even with a filter in that orientation.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

32.gif

Depends on how many miles are put on the oil filters. Lots of guys (including myself) have vehicles that might only get 1000~1500 miles a year put on them. So they use a good full synthetic filter with a silicone ADBV and change the oil every year, but leave the filter on for 2 or 3 years. C&Ps of those filters show zero difference than if they were changed every year.

Gotcha Zee...I understand. Guess I still put too many miles on yet!!!
grin2.gif

I have several low-use vehicles (old Mustang, Kubota, ZTR) that don't see enough use to justify an OFCI annually.
After many experiments and tracking data, along with filter dissection and under valve cover checks, I've concluded the whole ".... or one year ..." OFCI thing is nothing but marketing hype based on decades old mythology.

Some would say it's "cheap insurance" to OFCI annually. Ah, yes, but it's cheaper to not waste products and yet get the same, safe confirmed protections from products which have no idea how old they are or when they were installed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Oil in the galleries above the filter can still drain out even with a filter in that orientation.

It appears that the Fram TG30 which is a direct fit for a small block Chevy doesn't even have an ADBV
http://www.fram.com/parts-search/TG30/

I recall older Subarus spec'ed spin-on transmission filters. Subaru had a purpose built spin-on transmission filter (price was maybe $25), but some of the aftermarket filter companies just recommended an oil filter.

I know it's a different environment, but that would still be in contact with the fluid indefinitely since there was no recommended filter change period from what I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back