filter for drinking the water in China

Status
Not open for further replies.
go with bottled-water first..(brand-name imported stuff, not local stuff).

some hotels have their own water filtration systems in-da-house so showers, etc. should be fine.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
go with bottled-water first..(brand-name imported stuff, not local stuff).

some hotels have their own water filtration systems in-da-house so showers, etc. should be fine.

Q.

If you stay in at least a 2nd tier city (those that have at least 1M in population), you'll be fine buying bottled water. If you are concerned about the trustworthiness of the bottled water, get the name brand that you can recognized (i.e. Dannon, Nestle, Evian, etc).

Bottle water is usually safe if its not off brand and from a decent place, ie a hotel or large store.

If you see a lot of the locals drinking it, its probably fine.

believe it or not: China (metro, 2nd and 3rd tier cities, not townships or villages) water is quite ok..yes, I know you may consider the hazards but they do have their basic water filtration facilities running the feed.

You should be more concerned about heavy metals or chemical pesticides more so than bacterial counts or parasites (you should be concerned about these in rather poorly-developed areas such as Laos, remote areas of Vietnam or Thailand, etc.)...

Bottled water is still a better bet for rehydration.

Q.
I'd only carry my catadyn filter to remote areas where water source is unreliable, and no local water filtration facilities available.

I just spent a month in China. The hotel provided bottled water and a hot water kettle. I used boiled tap water to make instant coffee in the morning. I did not have any ill effects. The city I was in was rather small, only a half-million people

You may wish to check out a local Passport Health office. They give vaccinations and travel advice to whatever destination you are going to. They recommended the use of a SteriPEN for water. I never took it out of the package.

...John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back