Filter bypass pressure concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2019 Ram 5.7 hemi . Comes with MO-339 with 12lb bypass. I dont like the little filter and am thinking of using Wix 7899 or MO-899 but it has a 16-18lb bypass. I will be using 5w20 PP and not conventional oil. Is there any concern with start up flow with 16-18lb vs 12lb bypass. I know the PP will flow much better cold vs conventional so should i not be worried about bypass pressure difference? Secondly does anyone have the filter efficiency of Mopar filters? Seems no matter where i look their rating is not listed.

I wouldn't deviate sizes, filter characteristics and risk any warranty issues if you ever had a problem..

Last edited:
I was thinking of oil starvation upon start-up. I knew the early hemis used the 899 and then went to the 339 with lower bypass pressure. Wondered if it had to do with trying to address the startup knock or possible damage that may contribute to hemi tic.

Does this 2019 Ram 5.7 hemi have a variable (computer controlled) oil pump?

You dont have enough room to get an 899 filter in there around the power steering rack. That is why chrysler went from the large filter to the small filter on that application. Its hard enough getting the small filter out without making a huge mess

I may just use the MO-339 or Wix 57060 and change filter at 5k and oil/filter at 10k. Depending on if i can find out which is better at filtration.

Originally Posted by Timmastertech
You dont have enough room to get an 899 filter in there around the power steering rack. That is why chrysler went from the large filter to the small filter on that application. Its hard enough getting the small filter out without making a huge mess

Thank you. I thought the clearance was due to a movement of steering parts, never realized clearance was just getting filter in place.

Originally Posted by Govtman
Yes has VVT

That's not the same as a variable displacement oil pump.

I would stick with the factory size & not start experimenting until the warranty is up, don't want to give FCA an excuse to void a warranty. Hemi tick is usually roller lifter bearing failure, not sure the filter would have a big effect, and a smaller filter would likely build pressure more quickly, a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back