Oil Filter Bypassing or Media Tearing - Do They Actually Matter?

twX

I've been trying to determine what the impact of oil filter bypassing would be on engine wear and I've found an interesting old study, SAE 460133 - Oil Filtration and its Effects on Engine Wear (1946).

The study compared piston ring wear in engines with full-flow oil filtration, bypass filtration, and no filtration. The full-flow setup used the exact same "standard absorbency" filters as the bypass setup, but with 6 times more media area. In the bypass setup, 14% of the oil was filtered, and 86% bypassed, so the test results should be similar to those from an engine with a full flow oil filter that is bypassing an unusually large percentage of engine oil, or one that has a very large tear in the media.

Capture1.jpg

The partial flow test resulted in a 15 to 40% increase in engine wear vs the full flow test. The difference is small despite the fact that the small partial flow filter was 5 times more heavily loaded with debris at the end of the 60 hour test (per unit area of filter media), and its efficiency would have suffered as a result.

Another study, SAE 680536 (1968), is mainly about air filtration, but they measured engine wear in real time with the radioactive tracer method, and one of the tests involved removing the oil filter after it was used to help clean up the engine between tests. The rate of piston ring wear didn't rise appreciably for almost an hour of engine operation after the filter was removed, but eventually tripled over the following few hours as the oil loaded up with particulates.

Capture2.jpg

The conclusion I come to here is that the cleanliness of the oil in the sump is of primary importance, and that short-term bypassing of the oil filter is inconsequential, whether it be due to a small tear in the filter media, cold oil, high rpm, undersized filter, or low filter bypass pressure rating. Of course, it the filter is bypassing due to being clogged, filter efficiency may suffer a lot.

This question was relevant to me, since the Subaru I drive has a high flow oil pump, 102 psi pump relief, and 23 psi OEM oil filter bypass pressure rating. I've determined that pretty much any available aftermarket high efficiency filter will bypass oil regularly on this engine (up to a third of oil flow by my estimation), so there is a choice between high efficiency or full flow. I'm going to stick with a high efficiency filter regardless of the low bypass pressure rating.

You live in Canada, the vehicle will rust out before there are any engine issues. Think about the Air Filter or oil you are using.

The conclusion I come to here is that the cleanliness of the oil in the sump is of primary importance, and that short-term bypassing of the oil filter is inconsequential, whether it be due to a small tear in the filter media, cold oil, high rpm, undersized filter, or low filter bypass pressure rating. Of course, it the filter is bypassing due to being clogged, filter efficiency may suffer a lot.
Even in 1946 it was proven that cleaner oil from better filtration means less engine wear ... what a surprise. 😄

This question was relevant to me, since the Subaru I drive has a high flow oil pump, 102 psi pump relief, and 23 psi OEM oil filter bypass pressure rating. I've determined that pretty much any available aftermarket high efficiency filter will bypass oil regularly on this engine (up to a third of oil flow by my estimation), so there is a choice between high efficiency or full flow. I'm going to stick with a high efficiency filter regardless of the low bypass pressure rating.
Just because an oil filter is high efficiency doesn't mean it's "restrictive" and is bypassing tons of oil. Like as been pointed out in many of these discussions, the bypass valve doesn't need to be set as high on a filter that has less dP vs flow. The best thing anyone can do to help prevent filter bypass events is to keep the engine RPM relatively low until the oil is near full operating temperature.

Keep your oil filtered folks... :p

Looks like the filtered oil Iron present in the oil was 10 times cleaner than without a filter. A neat old study that still holds some water today 77 years later. The non filtered oil would build up some junk inside the engine real quick.

Keep your oil filtered folks... :p

Looks like the filtered oil Iron present in the oil was 10 times cleaner than without a filter. A neat old study that still holds some water today 77 years later. The non filtered oil would build up some junk inside the engine real quick.
🥱🥱🥱🥱

Just because an oil filter is high efficiency doesn't mean it's "restrictive" and is bypassing tons of oil. Like as been pointed out in many of these discussions, the bypass valve doesn't need to be set as high on a filter that has less dP vs flow. The best thing anyone can do to help prevent filter bypass events is to keep the engine RPM relatively low until the oil is near full operating temperature.
We've had a discussion before here where I described the reasons I think that most aftermarket filters will bypass oil in Subarus because of their high flow oil pumps and high oil pump pressure relief settings. I didn't mean to imply that this is not true for standard efficiency filters as well, it's just that I'm not considering them since the only good reason for me to stray from OEM is for better filtration efficiency.

Based on actual filter dP curves it seems like a FRAM Ultra will bypass at high rpm if the oil is thicker than 7 or 8 cST (which it always is), and it will bypass a third of flow when the oil pump is in pressure relief (which it often will be in this climate).

I did find that a PurolatorOne PL14610 should not bypass at all, based on the dP-flow curve you posted in that thread. I may switch to it, but I've got a stock of original FRAM Ultras to use up first.

You live in Canada, the vehicle will rust out before there are any engine issues. Think about the Air Filter or oil you are using.
Corrosion isn't terrible here on the prairies like it is in the east. Dust is pretty relevant here though. I'm back to an OEM air filter after having a sealing issue with an AC Delco. Speaking of which, can anybody give me a good reason not to use some Permatex synthetic PTFE-based grease along the felt seal to help prevent leaks?

Back