Filling Your Home With Mercury Via CFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good lord.First its second hand smoke then eggs,bacon,sugar,salt,sunlight,alcohol,trans fats,chocolate,coffee,caffeine,global warming and now freaking light bulbs.
this is truly the biggest bunch of equestrian excrement i have ever heard.Someone really needs to get a life.

WCD posts articles on his website for people like me that are very health conscious and possibly environmentally sensitive. Most of you probably don't need to be as concerned about CFLs as I do.

I have no idea how many people may be mercury toxic but I'd say it's probably not a large number of people. If you have health problems that don't seem to respond to other things, consider proper chelation.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Good lord.First its second hand smoke then eggs,bacon,sugar,salt,sunlight,alcohol,trans fats,chocolate,coffee,caffeine,global warming and now freaking light bulbs.
this is truly the biggest bunch of equestrian excrement i have ever heard.Someone really needs to get a life.

More or less all of those things you list are harmful in quantity. Some at far lower doses than others...

Maybe I shouldn't have posted this here. I posted one like it a while back and it was taken similarly.

WCD often writes articles like this. Don't let him alarm you, but I think it's good to read his articles..

Anything can be harmful if used to excess.Harmful or not is all to often a matter of opinion and debate based on political agendas to generate tax revenues etc.The status of caffeine in coffee is again being touted as having some health benefits after being demonized for years.

Second hand smoke has been debunked in many studies.This farce is just a product of a social agenda.
http://www.lpconline.com/secondhand_smoke.html

Without salt and sugars health issues can occur. As i said in moderation most things they would like to tax and/or ban are quite safe.As kids we often played with the mercury from a broken thermometer,now you have folks running out of the room if a light bulb breaks 10' away.
33.gif

Last edited:
Humor me....reading this thread, "ND amounts of Hg" (I know what Hg is, but what is ND?), who or what is WCD? and who or what is an IOW doctor?

ND = non detectable

WCD = William Campbell Douglass MD - author of the article

IOW = ?

This article got to be a joke. CFL has very little mercury in there and yeah, contaminate 6000 gallon of water can be done with less than a quart of engine oil, but you still do oil change right?

Your main source of mercury intake is from fish unless you work with mercury all the time, but people still eat fish and it is still healthy, why would you complain about CFL if they don't break?

The solution is to not break a CFL rather than not use one. Almost all workplace uses florescent tube lights and I never heard of any insurance companies complain about work place hazard on that.

$ saved on using CFL vs regular bulb is huge, and even without discount/subsidize they pay for themselves within weeks. The amount of mercury reduced from the power plant due to reduced energy use is way more than the mercury in the CFL.

I don't see what's the hate other than "anti-greenie" and "it takes away our freedom to use old fashion light bulbs" arguments.

Originally Posted By: Lurch
I eat only Wild Salmon, which has ND amounts of Hg.

Better stop eating that too since the ND amount of Hg over time will be more than the amount of Hg you get from a rare occasion of broken CFL.

This article can't be taken seriously - it's obvious that it is written to scare and anger people. It's a propaganda piece.

It associates CFL's with Congress and environmentalists, and uses their stereotypes to paint CFL's in a bad light. Typical propaganda technique.
It mentions how the mercury would contaminate 6,000 gallons of water, but it doesn't mention if that means the mercury would be above the present safety limit or merely would be detectable. Same thing for the medical problems, without some form of quantification it doesn't mean anything. Typical propaganda technique.
And it also doesn't mention how much mercury we are exposed to in everyday life. I'm not saying it is good, but without some explanation it could be the same thing as saying pouring a glass of water in the ocean raises the sea level. Typical propaganda technique.

Now I hate CFLs and probably will horde incandescents. But that doesn't excuse that this article is so poorly written anyone with basic critical thinking skills can see through it. If this doctor (assuming he's real) actually wants to help and inform people, he should be able to communicate his thoughts and feelings without coming across like the Weekly World News.

I hate to see otherwise rational, smart people taken for a ride by scams and quacks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RedByrd
This article can't be taken seriously - it's obvious that it is written to scare and anger people. It's a propaganda piece.

It associates CFL's with Congress and environmentalists, and uses their stereotypes to paint CFL's in a bad light. Typical propaganda technique.
It mentions how the mercury would contaminate 6,000 gallons of water, but it doesn't mention if that means the mercury would be above the present safety limit or merely would be detectable. Same thing for the medical problems, without some form of quantification it doesn't mean anything. Typical propaganda technique.
And it also doesn't mention how much mercury we are exposed to in everyday life. I'm not saying it is good, but without some explanation it could be the same thing as saying pouring a glass of water in the ocean raises the sea level. Typical propaganda technique.

Now I hate CFLs and probably will horde incandescents. But that doesn't excuse that this article is so poorly written anyone with basic critical thinking skills can see through it. If this doctor (assuming he's real) actually wants to help and inform people, he should be able to communicate his thoughts and feelings without coming across like the Weekly World News.

I hate to see otherwise rational, smart people taken for a ride by scams and quacks.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Originally Posted By: Lurch
ND = non detectable

WCD = William Campbell Douglass MD - author of the article

IOW = ?

As used in 440Magnums post, IOW is shorthand for "In other words".

"Re: Filling Your Home With Mercury"

My garage is filled with Mercury ..... a Grand Marquis and one (1) CFL
56.gif

The original subject line says it all "Home filled with mercury", typical "over the top" hyperbole. That kind of extreme statement makes any truth in the following statement hard to discern or take seriously.
The author shot himself in the foot in the first line.

The narrow minded are always eager to ridicule.

Understanding is so much more difficult.

I live with a woman who suffered for years until a "quack" doctor tested her for mercury. Years of careful work have gotten many of her symptoms reduced. We were often ridiculed by the ignorant masses.

I for one do not have any faith in the government to protect me. They believe a certain rate of deaths/injuries is 'acceptable'. Not everyone agrees.

Just look at the Gulf of Mexico.

Microwave radiation is held to much lower limits in Russia than in the US. Ever wonder why?

Easier to just make fun of whoever cares. Good post.

Well, some like William Campbell Douglass MD and some don't. Me and many others tend to like his writings. I used to get them delivered to me via email. He has some very good ideas, IMHO.

He, IMHO, is not a scam or a quack. I've been a holistic health advocate for over 30 years and have known of him for many years. I have books by him, and they are good books. He's a well respected unique individual and holistic MD.

http://douglassreport.com/

But if you start your sentences with "The sky is falling" it's hard to be taken seriously by many.

Information presented in a simple, easy to follow and verify, manner is far more accepted than over-the-top ravings.... "house full of mercury" my arse.

Once you are labeled a "chicken little" it's hard to be taken seriously.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The narrow minded are always eager to ridicule.

Understanding is so much more difficult.

I live with a woman who suffered for years until a "quack" doctor tested her for mercury. Years of careful work have gotten many of her symptoms reduced. We were often ridiculed by the ignorant masses.

I for one do not have any faith in the government to protect me. They believe a certain rate of deaths/injuries is 'acceptable'. Not everyone agrees.

Just look at the Gulf of Mexico.

Microwave radiation is held to much lower limits in Russia than in the US. Ever wonder why?

Easier to just make fun of whoever cares. Good post.

And the tough part about Hg toxicity with people is that they often suffer low grade symptoms that slowly increase for decades before they realize they're dealing with Hg toxicity and begin dealing with it. They can spend oodles of money and decades on alternative or allopathic remedies with little success until they finally take the bull by the horns.

Some people have put down amalgam removal, but removing amalgams is only the beginning of Hg detox. Chelation has to follow, and if it doesn't, many people will remain Hg toxic.

Slightly off topic about microwave radiation:

Electromagnetic / microwave radiation aren't the same as gamma radiation in which in small level wouldn't cause DNA damages. You are surrounded by EM emission and if you go under the sun you will receive a lot of it, way more than you can get from the current generation of cell phone.

Cancer causing? Not yet proven since I first heard of it 20 years ago as a kid. The only thing I heard about it since then is that it can heat up water like your microwave oven. Your microwave oven is 1000W, your cell phone is capped at 2W and if your signal is good it is emitting 0.5W. Your wireless router is around 100mW (0.1W). I have heard of many who wants to ban cell towers, but haven't heard of anyone who wants to ban microwave oven. Wonder why.

My dad would tell me stories of how they would play with balls of mercury as a kid from old thermometers and stuff like that.

He lived in a house with asbestos siding, insulation, and lead based paint, as well as other toxins.

What is the next generation going to say about the way that we lead our lives right now? There are probably so many things that we deal with in daily life that can kill us..

I don't worry about it too much, and honestly I just throw the cfl bulbs in the trash when they blow (usually about a year of life, not the 5 that they claim).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back