Mercury Vapor vs. Metal Halide multi-vapor bulbs

I have an outdoor, dusk to dawn 175 watt bulb that just went out. The bulb that just went bad is a GE mecury vapor bulb. GE is now selling at local home improvement store, a GE multi vapor metal halide bulb. The other store across the street has a Feit mercury vapor bulb. Both fit.

Is one more environmentally friendly than the other? According to the box each came in, both are roughly the same number of hours & lumens.

From what I've seen, mercury vapor lamps are obsolete and have been for years. Metal halide is what's installed most everywhere now.

I think you get more lumens per watt from metal halide.

EDIT: You may have to change the ballast to use a metal halide bulb, but it would probably be worth the effort and cost.

Hmmm the current bulbs I have (GE mercury vapor) say "for use only with H39 ballast." they have been working for years, so I guess that means that is what my current setup is?

The Feit mercury vapor bulb is for H39 ballast, the GE is M57/E ballast only.

I thought that if they had the same base, then they both would be ok. Evidently not....

From what I've seen, mercury vapor lamps are obsolete and have been for years. Metal halide is what's installed most everywhere now.

EDIT: You may have to change the ballast to use a metal halide bulb, but it would probably be worth the effort and cost.

No, I'm not an electrician. I was just checking to make sure this switch to a different bulb would be ok.

Hmmm the current bulbs I have (GE mercury vapor) say "for use only with H39 ballast." they have been working for years, so I guess that means that is what my current setup is?

The Feit mercury vapor bulb is for H39 ballast, the GE is M57/E ballast only.

I thought that if they had the same base, then they both would be ok. Evidently not....

This has some more info:

Thanks for the link.

That confirms that GE's new Metal Halide would not work.

This has some more info:

There's no reason to keep mercury vapor around since they have greenish light and about half the lumens per watt of modern alternatives. 175 watt mercury vapor can be replaced with:
* 12000 lumen LED
* 100 watt metal halide
* 70 watt high pressure sodium

Replace that fixture with LED. All of that is obsolete. You can find some with a built in photocell or add your own. They come in different brightnesses and color temps, but for a 175W halide you are looking at about a 50W LED. Lithonia has some good stuff. Is this a wall pack?

Dark is environmentally friendly. Do you realize no matter how green you try to be in will never compensate for the, pollution our military produces or the past 200 years of wars? The pollution caused by growing the food you eat, the car you drive and the electricity you use? Just a FYI. Get a led lamp and save the planet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. Like I said, I'm not an electrician, so I just went with the mercury vapor light. It is now illuminating our back yard. The bulb I would have bought at the home improvement store I normally go to, wouldn't have worked, so I certainly appreciate your feedback.

Back