Filling up when fuel truck is at gas station?

You must never get gas at Costco. Seems like a tanker is there more than not.
Costco and places like Sheetz have filters that are changed regularly. Sheetz changes them monthly. Costco changes them when the flow starts to slow down which usually occurs monthly. Years ago it was a problem but with modern tanks and filtration, it’s not an issue.

IF the station is modern with new tanks and new pumps not much of an issue.
I guess this might be where they myth came from. Back in the day when tanks were metal there was an issue with sediment and rust. Now you have these submarine sized tanks that seem pretty well built.

Last edited:
You probably wouldn't. But then again water and big debris probably settle out in a very few minutes.

How old are the tanks? What are they made of? And how would you know? If you're a local and know when the station was built you have a pretty good idea. Otherwise you're in the dark.
The tanks here must be dug up and replaced every couple of years.

I thought I was the only one, I'm sure the fuel filter in the dispenser will handle it but I don't know the state of their filters (if there's a hole in it) or if the station just doesn't use them, stranger things have happened, it's just one of those bad juju things so if I see the tanker I just skip lol!

How would sediment get into an underground tank?
From the fuel. In fluid sampling there is usually a flushing process before the sample is taken. That ensures the sample isn’t taken from the absolute lowest point as there is more likely to be sediment closest to a gravity drain. It could give a bad or inaccurate sample. I believe that is what the OP is saying could get stirred up. Not the ground sediment.

between the tank in the ground and the pump is a filter...or many filters... so it is an old wives tale.

Costco and places like Sheetz have filters that are changed regularly. Sheetz changes them monthly. Costco changes them when the flow starts to slow down which usually occurs monthly. Years ago it was a problem but with modern tanks and filtration, it’s not an issue.
The fact that Costco changes them when flow diminishes indicates that the filter is being impacted by something. So, yes there is probably still some particles in the fuel coming up from the tank. Particles can come from the metal pipeline. Also I have been inside large storage tanks on tank farms and they are not exactly pristine. So unless there is a filter there doing its job you are at risk.

Has anybody here besides me noticed that the filling ports at gas stations are below grade?

Of course they're well designed but if an airport fueler can fail to attach a grounding strap or replace the filler cap incorrectly (I've seen both), then a buzzed-out stoner or busy mechanic can fail to secure a tank's lid.

I avoid "the churn" on general principals.

The tanks here must be dug up and replaced every couple of years.

I understand it’s Kalifornistan, but seriously!!???

Kindly show us the written regulation that says gasoline/diesel dispensing stations must dig up and replace their tanks every couple of years.

Because it’s sooooo inexpensive to safely remove said tanks and install new ones. Not!

Then again, after 2030, who cares?

Just my 2 cents.....I think it is cheap and easy insurance to avoid a station that is in the middle of refueling. I just go to another, even if it costs a few cents a gallon more.

Reactions: SWS
My OPE gas cans still get the ''rust'' color. I have white motocross style cans. I think there are still steel piping in use in supply systems otherwise why the rust staining in my cans. Particle filters catch the big stuff but what about dissolved stuff?
I don't fuel when a load is getting dropped.
Double wall tanks are required now, EPA, so that's why tank replacement goes on or when a new Co. buys the station, they change tanks out for insurance liability reasons.

Back