Few ounces of motor oil in transmission - HELP

Unless this fluid has the specification your car calls for printed on the bottle (not "meets" or "exceeds" or any other marketing word) your "contaminated" fluid was much closer to what the manufacturer specs.
It's called "Called Global Multi Vehicle Transmission Fluid." Suitable for use in Dexron VI, Mercon LV, Mercon V, ATF+4 and most foreign transmission.

On the back it gives vehicle makes it is compatible with. Toyota, and Lexus are on the list.

Not using this fluid in the car, nor will I start it with this in there. Will only be using it to flush, drain, then button up, and refill with OEM.

Might be a few ounces that mixes with the OEM stuff, but considering it's compatible, and ATF, not oil I think it it's likely better.

This is pretty fast action considering posting on here and rushing out to buy fluid and do that flush.

You need to slow down.
Yes. There's an Oreily Auto parts store right down the street, so I just hopped on my motorcycle, and picked up a couple gallons.

You will be fine. 10 years ago working late trying to get ahead I screwed up and put a quart of Mobil 1 5w20 in the trans of a 2009 Lincoln MKX. Realized what I did, drained the transmission, refilled it, drained it, refilled it, ran it and drained it. That transmission lasted another 150k miles.

You will be fine. 10 years ago working late trying to get ahead I screwed up and put a quart of Mobil 1 5w20 in the trans of a 2009 Lincoln MKX. Realized what I did, drained the transmission, refilled it, drained it, refilled it, ran it and drained it. That transmission lasted another 150k miles.
Thanks. I got concerned because I read online about how I needed to get it towed, and flushed if this happened, as the oil would penetrate the discs, over heat, and thrash the trans.

ok so how exactly do you add motor oil to a transmission dipstick.. I mean you need a funnel?? Dont leave us hanging with this story!

This must take true ingenuity

2 tablespoons is equal to about an ounce or 29.5 milliliters.

10 quarts of ATF is equal to 9464 milliliters.

29.5 milliliters/9464 milliliters = a ratio of 0.00312

Let's say you have 800ppm of zinc in the motor oil.

This means you will increase the ATF ZDDP levels by 2.4ppm.

But let's say you have 1400 ppm of calcium in the motor oil, you will increase the calcium level in the ATF by 4.2ppm.

Calcium is a friction modifier, but I don't think 1 ounce of engine oil is going to ruin your tranny.

2 tablespoons is equal to about an ounce or 29.5 milliliters.

10 quarts of ATF is equal to 9464 milliliters.

29.5 milliliters/9464 milliliters = a ratio of 0.00312

Let's say you have 800ppm of zinc in the motor oil.

This means you will increase the ATF ZDDP levels by 2.4ppm.

But let's say you have 1400 ppm of calcium in the motor oil, you will increase the calcium level in the ATF by 4.2ppm.

Calcium is a friction modifier, but I don't think 1 ounce of engine oil is going to ruin your tranny.
Thanks. I think it will be fine, as I poured a gallon of atf in with the drain pan plug off. Will be changing the trans filter also, and removing, and cleaning the drain pan. There might be some oil left in there, but so little as to be negligible I think.

The dipstick port where the dipstick slides into, which is where you put the transmission fluid in using a small funnel ;)

Unless this fluid has the specification your car calls for printed on the bottle (not "meets" or "exceeds" or any other marketing word) your "contaminated" fluid was much closer to what the manufacturer specs.
Meets and exceeds is appropriate for specifications though, so sometimes it gets a bit confusing.

The dipstick port where the dipstick slides into, which is where you put the transmission fluid in using a small funnel ;)
I understood that part of the story. What I'm missing is how you dumped motor oil in there.. then realized it after 2 tablespoons.

minor concern in my mind.
Compare amt of oil to actual fluid spec-ed for tranny. Make ur estimate'n follow ur urge.
I'd skip a pan drop/filter change if below 5 - 10%. I'd do both if it were a concern (well, might clean the filter/put back in).

Same w/diesel ina gas tank, water ina crank case etc. Amount to correct fluid = an estimate of damage possibility (v specific energy needed to correct. Some customers have done some pretty strange stuff. I pulled a wnshld washer tank out once as it wuz full of break fluid, not good for car's exterior paint surface).

It is 0.003 it less than 1 percent….

Like I said…

I know about the multiplication part but t care about the multiplying part… because I actually understand what and how percentages can be expressed either way IF you know how to actually do that.

And I do.

To me would be greater than 0.0074 or 0.0085 … Would be close to 1 percent.

At 0.0031 … aka 00.31 percent To me … that is well less than one percent. But that is just me.
It's approximately 30 parts in 10,000, which is the same as 3 parts in 1000.

3 parts in 10 = 30%

3 parts in 100 = 3%

3 parts in 1000 = 0.3%

Back