Few ounces of motor oil in transmission - HELP

I was in a rush, and accidentally put maybe 1 to 2 tablespoons max of oil into transmission fluid through the port where the measuring stick goes.

I did not start the car, so it would not have circulated through the transmission. Am I safe to simply drain and remove the pan, clean it, and let it drip out, or must I do a flush, even though I did not start the car?

Will the fluid have gotten into anywhere else other than the pan after putting it into the port where I slide the dipstick?

I drive a 2012 Toyota Corolla LE.

Am I screwed royally, or will draining and cleaning drain pan save me?

It was a super tiny amount. Any advice helpful. I'm freaking out here.

My OCD would have me dropping the pan just as you mentioned. I would not start the car. With the pan off I would probably also pour a few ounces of ATF down the fill tube to rinse out any residual oil that might be clinging to it. Way overkill but.

Your Toyota is destroyed, but mostly because it is a Toyota.

Just kidding. I have no idea how (you don't say) you got such a small amount in the tranny, but I doubt 2 tablespoons is going to have ANY effect. After you calm down from the adrenaline rush, doing NOTHING is OK, but if you really want to be a Nazi, drain it and do what demarpaint said. ^^^^^^

If you did not start it then I would simply just pull the drain plug and fill it back up with officially licensed transmission fluid and go on my way. If you are worried about it you can do it again after a short run and consider this a regular service.

If that transmission holds say 10 quarts… that’s 946 mL per quart times 10 quarts equals… 9,460 mL.

If you have 2 tablespoons which is 15 mL per tablespoon which equals 2 tablespoons equals 30 mL.

30 mL out of 9,460 mL is 0.0031 %.

Well less than 1 percent. I think it would be just fine.

If that transmission holds say 10 quarts… that’s 946 mL per quart times 10 quarts equals… 9,460 mL.

If you have 2 tablespoons which is 15 mL per tablespoon which equals 2 tablespoons equals 30 mL.

30 mL out of 9,460 mL is 0.0031 %.

Well less than 1 percent. I think it would be just fine.
Need to multiply by 100 to get %. It's 0.317%. Still less than 1% and I wouldn't worry about it.

Need to multiply by 100 to get %. It's 0.317%. Still less than 1% and I wouldn't worry about it.

It is 0.003 it less than 1 percent….

Like I said…

I know about the multiplication part but t care about the multiplying part… because I actually understand what and how percentages can be expressed either way IF you know how to actually do that.

And I do.

To me would be greater than 0.0074 or 0.0085 … Would be close to 1 percent.

At 0.0031 … aka 00.31 percent To me … that is well less than one percent. But that is just me.

Last edited:
Agree with ctechbob, I have probably contaminated my tranny fluid by using the same funnel for oil changes and tranny fluid changes. Such a small percentage and being a lubricant at that no harm done.

OK, so I went out and bought 2 gallons of universal transmission fluid that "is" rated to work with my toyota. It's garbage compared to OEM, but I am only using it to flush out the pan, and any areas that might have gotten oil in them.

I just poured in a gallon with the drain plug off, so as to let it drain out smoothly for a nice flushing effect.

I ordered a new transmission filter that arrives tomorrow.

I will leave the drain plug off and let it drain over night.

Tomorrow I will put the plug back on hand tight, re fill it, and then drain it again, so as to help the trans fluid to get to places it may not have with the plug off. Will leave it to drain again over night.

Then will take off pan, put in new filter, and then refill with OEM fluid.

Hopefully that should solve the issue.

I think it will be fine, though I went a little over board maybe.

Now my only concern is what little residual cheap ATF fluid from the flush is left in there mixing with the good OEM stuff once I am done :/

I think it will be fine, though I went a little over board maybe.

Now my only concern is what little residual cheap ATF fluid from the flush is left in there mixing with the good OEM stuff once I am done :/
You'll be fine, stop stressing about it. And, you didn't go overboard. If that's what it takes to satisfy your feelings, then it is just the right amount.

of universal transmission fluid that "is" rated
Unless this fluid has the specification your car calls for printed on the bottle (not "meets" or "exceeds" or any other marketing word) your "contaminated" fluid was much closer to what the manufacturer specs.

I can't imagine a Toyota 4 speed automatic being picky about that. You can definitely put motor oil in a traditional torque converter stepped automatic in a pinch. Been there, done that.

Unless this fluid has the specification your car calls for printed on the bottle (not "meets" or "exceeds" or any other marketing word) your "contaminated" fluid was much closer to what the manufacturer specs.
The fellow at the store looked it up, and said it works in my car. Also works for toyota brands on the bottle. That said I don't think there will be much of it left once it drips for a few days, and put in a new filter. Certainly better then having oil in there.

Back