Ferrari's oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are designed for race use, which would involve higher oil temperatures.

It's not much thicker than the norm, though. Most Ferraris spec an xw-40, which Ferraris and Porsches do as well. BMWs take thick xw-30s and up, so they're not far behind.

That's what I think.. If you really USE the car to it's potential, lots of heat is produced and thicker oil is needed.
Normal/light driving does not require it - just ask Dr Haas, who used 5-20 in his.

It's spec'd for thick oil because it's a European performance car, not just because it's a performance car. Vettes are spec'd for 5w30.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
That's what I think.. If you really USE the car to it's potential, lots of heat is produced and thicker oil is needed.
Normal/light driving does not require it - just ask Dr Haas, who used 5-20 in his.

He's doing is own thing. For normal driving, Ferrari recommends 5w40. For racing they recommend 20w50 or 10w60

ENZO (name of car) spec and FF 10W-60 as do Porsches and certain M3s, and thats some thick Oil with a nice W number, for start-up flow. Push it hard on that.

You can also put 5W-50 or 15W-50 in a BMW

The difference in 5W-50 to 15W-50 i cant differentiate, Ford GT40 also specs 5W-50.. not 15W-50

Some cars spec 20W-50 if high heat and extended periods, they are surely not American though

Dr Hass with 0W-20 (no longer 5W-20) is NOT the normal person. He doesnt even go a 30 on his. Wow. AND it was NOT FF for his car.

Kind of does to show that KV number is 100% Oil temperature based, eh.

So Dr. Hass never gets his car up to normal tempterature, even once....

Besides possibly not getting it up to temp, he is also not using an off the shelf 0W20 oil either.
Isn't he using a blend mixed by Terry Dyson?

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: Johnny
The doctor is is RLI 0W-20.
To and fro the mall?

Just everyday driving, in town and on the highway. No racing.

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy

He's doing is own thing. For normal driving, Ferrari recommends 5w40. For racing they recommend 20w50 or 10w60

He sure is doing his own thing. More power to him, but I doubt he knows more than the Ferrari folks who built that car and chose an oil spec for a reason.

If you think Ferrari's oil choice isn't somewhat related to marketing and/or money, you're wrong. Shell and Ferrari have been in bed together for a very long time.

I'm not sure I would run 0-20 in a Ferrari - maybe the hinges.
But it does show the magnitude of importance that oil temperature plays in oil selection.

Originally Posted By: dparm
If you think Ferrari's oil choice isn't somewhat related to marketing and/or money, you're wrong. Shell and Ferrari have been in bed together for a very long time.

Wasn't referring to the BRAND of oil or marketing but the WEIGHT of oil. Dr. Haas runs 0W/20 weights when Ferrari Specs 10W/60. Big difference there. I don't care what brand oil you run, I'm more concerned about the weight. Big difference.

I'm not sure I would run 0-20 in a Ferrari - maybe the hinges.
But it does show the magnitude of importance that oil temperature plays in oil selection.

X2

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: dparm

Wasn't referring to the BRAND of oil or marketing but the WEIGHT of oil. Dr. Haas runs 0W/20 weights when Ferrari Specs 10W/60. Big difference there. I don't care what brand oil you run, I'm more concerned about the weight. Big difference.

i've read Ferrari recommends something like 75psi of oil pressure at 6000 rpm, and they recommend a general grade (10w60) to do so but as long as you have 75psi of oil pressure at 6000rpm then you can run whatever weight of oil you need to in order to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back